Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
RepackboxWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: Marlin 1894CS project complete!

Marlin 1894CS project complete!

I am finally done with the carbine I set up as a travel gun for restrictive states. I wanted it to have non threatening, traditional looks and be legal most places.

For those of you who haven’t followed my other posts about this rifle, here is a description of what it is and what I have done.
    I started out with a bone stock JM Marlin 1894CS 18 1/2 " barrel in .357 Mag made in 1995. Modifications are as follows:

Sights: Skinner peep sight and tall skinner front sight filed down to optimum height and painted bright orange.

Trigger: Wild West Guns Happy Trigger.

Firing Pin: Pioneer Gunworks one piece firing pin and light lever plunger spring

Mag follower: Pioneer Gunworks stainless steel mag follower

Hammer spring: Palo Verde adjustable tension hammer spring

Stock Cuff: Hill People Gear Hypalon stock cuff

Lever wrap: Pioneer Gunworks Leather Lever Wrap

Polishing: Polished bolt all internal action parts with 600 grit sand paper and dremil tool with felt wheel and Flitz metal polish.

Chamber: Chamfered and polished chamber mouth

Hammer: I radiused and polished the hammer. This helped the action a TON. I used my Dremil tool.

“Marlin Jam Fix” - Note: I did this as a preventative measure so I would never have to worry about marlin jam. For those interested, these two links pretty much explain the processes: http://marauder.homestead.com/files/marlin94fix.html
    https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/j...arlin-jam.html

It is fun, light, smooth and accurate and capable of 50 yard groups like these:

It turned out great exceeding my expectations!
    Romans 10:9"...If you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Jesus from the dead, you shall be saved.."

My trading feedback thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t=#post3092680

Very cool Marlin. Congrats for sure. Looks like she is very accurate to boot.

Quick question concerning your chamber;

Have had several 45 Colt levers and they all have a giant chamber. The Winchesters model 92 will split cases the chamber was so big.

So wondering if the 357 mag older Marlin's have a regular size chamber and allow many reloads ?

Very nice. Ready to go!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Very impressive!!!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Was just perusing the broker for the 1894 Marlin's and bout swallowed my teeth! Wowww the price is sky high on these.

Guess I been under a rock for awhile ... MAN!!! crazy

Boolit Buddy
    I have 16" Model 94s in both 45 Colt and 357 Mag (factory ported). The 357 chamber seems to be as tight as any of my revolvers but the 45 is way oversize. Light loads in the 45 cause heavy smoking of the brass and even slight blow by from the chamber. If you up the charge, the gun settles down and stops the blow by, but the brass is still well worked and shows swelling around the case head. Just plain hard on the brass when reloading. Light loads with faster powder works too (instead of Unique try 231 or Red Dot).

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nhithaca View Post
    I have 16" Model 94s in both 45 Colt and 357 Mag (factory ported). The 357 chamber seems to be as tight as any of my revolvers but the 45 is way oversize. Light loads in the 45 cause heavy smoking of the brass and even slight blow by from the chamber. If you up the charge, the gun settles down and stops the blow by, but the brass is still well worked and shows swelling around the case head. Just plain hard on the brass when reloading. Light loads with faster powder works too (instead of Unique try 231 or Red Dot).
    Did you ever chamber cast yours? I sent my 94 in 45 LC back twice, then finally took my money back. The muzzle blast/spray was bad enough to put a permanent black pattern on my shooting bench. Always wished I had cast the chamber.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Mine seems to be standard size.
    Romans 10:9"...If you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Jesus from the dead, you shall be saved.."

My trading feedback thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t=#post3092680

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    Mine seems to be standard size.
    Cool to know that the crazy big chambers are just in the 45 Colt chambers. Glad your 357 chamber is of a standard size.

Boolit Grand Master
    Word to the wise, if you go to any areas with high humidity, take the lever wrap off and check for rust regularly. You don't really want to know how I found that out.

Robert

Good tip! Thanks

Hey question on the "Marlin jam".

Is this "jam" a problem with any other Marlin models ... or just apply to the 1894?

1893? ... 1895? ... 336?

Boolit Grand Master
    When AR's are banned, my defensive rifles will be three .30/30 lever actions. I see them as a better caliber to do what the AR can do in terms of range and effectiveness. It is the only reason I kept the .30/30's when I downsized, as I never use them. They are JIC (Just In Case) guns.

I also have three .357 lever actions that get shot a lot. Like yours, they have been tuned to run fast (CAS shooter). The 1894 is a very effective and accurate rifle and I like what you did.

BTW, my preference for the .30/30 is due to my location. Very rural and I may need more energy at range than the .357 delivers. In a city/suburb, the .357 would be a great choice.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    When AR's are banned, my defensive rifles will be three .30/30 lever actions. I see them as a better caliber to do what the AR can do in terms of range and effectiveness. It is the only reason I kept the .30/30's when I downsized, as I never use them. They are JIC (Just In Case) guns.

I also have three .357 lever actions that get shot a lot. Like yours, they have been tuned to run fast (CAS shooter). The 1894 is a very effective and accurate rifle and I like what you did.

BTW, my preference for the .30/30 is due to my location. Very rural and I may need more energy at range than the .357 delivers. In a city/suburb, the .357 would be a great choice.
    I live in Idaho. A 30-30 is on my list!

Boolit Bub
    Great looking 1894. Excellent work.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    When AR's are banned, my defensive rifles will be three .30/30 lever actions. I see them as a better caliber to do what the AR can do in terms of range and effectiveness. It is the only reason I kept the .30/30's when I downsized, as I never use them. They are JIC (Just In Case)

During the last long ammo shortage calibers such as 22-250, 243, 270 and 30-30 were usually available. I observed 270 being formed into 30-06. 30-30 will be with us for a long long time.