Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: creep in Savage model 99

Boolit Master

creep in Savage model 99

When out to the range this morning with my "new" 50's vintage Savage 99 in 3000 Savage.
    noticeable amount of creep in the trigger before let-off.

I have another Model 99C in .308 and it does not have half the creep of the 50's model.

I don't believe there is any way of eliminating or improving that trigger. But I may be wrong so if you all have any suggestions let me know
    thanks
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master
    Considering the age of your Savage, there may be gunsmiths who have experience slicking up the trigger. They will likely be old and rare. My 99 was made in 1952. I empathize.

You can improve the model 99 trigger, but it can't be made to perform like a bolt action rifle trigger.

A good polishing on both mating surfaces and a little grease goes a long way to improve the trigger on a model 99.

That said, here ya go:

https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/s...9-trigger.html
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

very interesting pietro....thanks!

Boolit Master
    There are two trigger designs on Savage 99's. The tang safety is actually much like the 'old' Winchester 70 ic concept and can be made quite light and crisp with careful polishing. The side or lever safety Savage 99 has a much different design and can be improved quite a bit. Polishing the contact surfaces between the 'hammer' (Savage term) and the sear can help a great deal, a grease between the surfaces can also help here. Polishing the sear spring contact against the trigger and reducing its strength can also help, putting a shim under the sear spring does this also. Careful thinning of the sear spring can be done, but be careful. Hammer/sear engagement can be reduced, but this requires great care and much testing. The lever safety Savage 99's are really quite simple in design and disassembly of the bolt, sear, hammer and trigger is fairly simple.

Boolit Master

thanks Mostly..
    the one in question is a side lever safety.

Boolit Master
    Just checked trigger pull on my deluxe Pistol gripped 1932 vintage Savage 99 LWTD,cal 250-3000
    It is crisp, no creep, and about 3 1/2 pounds at the break.
    Rifle came from an "old time" Northwoods hunter. With Classic Paul Jaeger detachable side mount
    and a modern Leo Freedom 2-7 scope. It really should have a vintage Weaver on it.

Also pleased that I have been able to put 3 shots into close to an inch at 100yds.
    It does have some overtravel, but so do a number of my Marlins, and Winchester lever actions.
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Master

Hi, beltfed, both my 99's shoot within 1.25" at 100 yds. sometimes I get under 1" if I have a good day.

I friend of mine let me clean up and shoot his 1926 Model99 250-3000 TD. There was no creep and the trigger was crisp.

Boolit Bub
    It is very easy to reduce the creep on a 99 you file the point on the cocking piece 90 degrees where the trigger releases it. You don’t have to take anything apart on the mechanism and you can try your creep and observe it all the time as you go.