Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sprue plate lead build up

Boolit Master
    I also just use a single-edge razor blade when the plate is cold. Works fine.
    Loren

Boolit Master
    It’s not to late to get the other molds back in working condition , with a little work .

Carpenter's pencil (one with the wide flat point) lubes best and you can remove the 'bumps' easily when the plate is hot. Use it as a scraper and lube. Changed over completely to the pencil method it works so well. Also try filling from alternate ends on the many hole moulds. evens out plate and cavity temp.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Just a thought , but after you remove the build up from the bottom of the sprue plate and top of the blocks - a little work on a flat surface with fine sand paper could clean up the bottom of the sprue plate & top of the blocks .

Boolit Master
    Any build up on my plates a little heat with a torch and a rag with oil/WD40. Sounds like you need to adjust your sprue plate it's too loose.

Boolit Master
    Popper, as an uncoordinated klutz, even with a nice mold guide I can barely get a decent 8 cavity pour while filling in one direction only, but I'll work on the alternating push/pull.

Toallmy and DocS, I've another thread going on these same molds, noting block top circular scoring around the plate pivot point, so I'm definitely going to sand the block tops, probably the bottom of the plate as well if I don't get everything off with the razor blade technique. The thought there was that maybe I overdid tightening the pivot bolt. True that if the bolt backed out too much the boolit base finning worsened (why I tried filing a flat into the bolt's threads for a set screw), but I may be sometimes guilty of the "more must be better" school of thought when retightening the bolt.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12