Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Deere riding mower D130

Boolit Master

John Deere riding mower D130

Bought this new and have always run non ethanol gas in it. Ran perfect for last 4 years and now it surges all the time and has lost some of its power. Air filter is good, I checked the plugs and they are good. I replaced the fuel filter and checked the fuel lines and all seem fine. I have removed the carb and cleaned it to the best of my ability. Also installed a new fuel pump.
    Friend suggested I put some seafoam in the gas and I did. Ran it for about 45 minutes and no improvement. The baffling issue is it seems to run fine going UP a hill but the power is still reduced. It has approximately 85 hours on it. Oil level is good. Moving the choke lever back and forth doesn't help it run any better.
    Before I take it to the local dealer am open to suggestions.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Mold
    Check or replace the voltage regulator. It is a very simple swap. I have a JD L130 and was doing the same thing. Changed the regulator and it is purring like a kitten again.
    My Deere has a touch over 400 hours on it.
    Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
    Bret Lawson
    "When you come to the fork in the road, take it."- Yogi Berra

Boolit Master
    The battery is being charged. I thought if the voltage regulator went bad the battery would not be charging?
    East Tennessee

Moderator Emeritus

If the voltage regulator is sticking and not shutting the alternator off of load it might be taking too much of the engines power. That is the only reason I can think of.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    New regulator was $12. Ordered one. Last part I will chase. If this fails off to the shop, ouch!

Looked over the engine compartment pretty good. Couldn't find the regulator or a part that resembles what I just purchased. Where is the voltage regulator on these mowers?
    Last edited by snowwolfe; 07-02-2020 at 11:30 AM.
    East Tennessee

I had a problem with the fuel pump on my JD 105 acting like that. At the time it wasn't very old either.

You may also have a clog or restriction in the tank's pick up tube.

Not sure where the regulator is, but if it isn't real obvious, I'd look under the top engine cowling.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 07-02-2020 at 04:49 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    I have one of those mowers. Mine has done the same thing since it was new.I wont be buying another one. I am looking at restoring an old IH cub cadet mower to replace this****************** mower.Worst mower I have ever had!

Banned
    I know you said that you've run non-ethanol fuel exclusively and that is a GOOD thing but,......you could still have a fuel problem.

My guess is the carb is plugged up somewhere. While non-ethanol fuel is a huge step to prevent fuel problems, it doesn't prevent all fuel problems. So a new or re-built carb is likely where you are heading.

And 45 minutes with Seafoam in the fuel is probably not enough time. If you want to go that route before you succumb to replacing the carb, run the gas with the Seafoam for a few hours. In reality, you're headed for a carb replacement or carb re-build.

Boolit Master
    We bought a John Deere D130 new in July 2013. We have had no problems with it to date. Small town lawn and almost have 100 hours on it. Run regular gas without any alcohol in it. Synthetic oil and new filter about every two years. Our time may be coming for problems but I am a fan of John Deere. I have a diesel mower at the cottage plus a Deere walk behind snow blower.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed. If you do, you are misinformed.
    - Mark Twain

When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade without further introduction.
    - Mark Twain

Boolit Master
    It only has 83 hours on it and I take excellent care of it. Until the surging I only replaced the battery last year
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    Always check if the fuel tank can breathe .....surging is often caused by partial fuel starvation ......It will have a "sealed vapor trap system " for pollution control ......making a small hole in the filler cap may solve the problem .......first try running with the cap loose ,to see if thats the cause.

Boolit Master
    I spoke too soon! Our mower began to run very rough so off it went to the John Deere dealer. The most they could find was a very dirty air filter and replaced that. The rough running issue was very intermittent so hopefully the problem was solved.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed. If you do, you are misinformed.
    - Mark Twain

When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade without further introduction.
    - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I know you said that you've run non-ethanol fuel exclusively and that is a GOOD thing but,......you could still have a fuel problem.

My guess is the carb is plugged up somewhere. While non-ethanol fuel is a huge step to prevent fuel problems, it doesn't prevent all fuel problems. So a new or re-built carb is likely where you are heading.

And 45 minutes with Seafoam in the fuel is probably not enough time. If you want to go that route before you succumb to replacing the carb, run the gas with the Seafoam for a few hours. In reality, you're headed for a carb replacement or carb re-build.
    Carefully rod out the main jet with a torch tip cleaner. Start with the smallest and go larger until you meet resistance.

Boolit Grand Master
    Don't know if your carb has an adjustment needle underneath the fuel bowl, but if it does, you might try and unscrew the needle about 1/8th turn and see if it helps. You fuel might not have alcohol, but sometimes it seems it varies in density and as such the mixture might be off a little. It happens to me with my Troy built rototiller. I have to adjust the fuel mixture now and then

Boolit Master
    Not an expert at all, but the uphill vs downhill seems to point to the carb float. Perhaps another look at the carb with special attention to the float and related valve. Fuel level will be different in the bowl uphill vs down hill. Also trash in the fuel tank could be “relocating” causing partial starvation. I might try a remote tank fed to the carb with a new fuel line first. Fuel filter???
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Air blade governor?
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Have you tried premium fuel? The fuel we are getting these days is pretty poor. It goes bad quickly and seems to take more of it to do the same amount of work. I've gotten to the point of putting Stabil (spell check this) into my gas can prior to getting it filled at our local station. I use only premium fuel in my chain saw, wood splitter, and generator because that fuel tends to sit quite a while before use. I still use the cheaper stuff for my mower, but rely on Stabil to keep it a little longer.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master
    Just because you buy non alcohol fuel doesn't mean you are not getting Alcohol in the fuel. Also if you buy premium doesn't mean you are getting it. Well in Missouri thats true. Sounds like a new carb or clean the old one out. Take the fuel bowl off and check the Float and needle. Look for corrosion or whiteish looking Jelly looking stuff. Some time cleaning it out helps but most of the time it needs a new kit. The kits start out at 30$ to 50$ but a new aftermarket carb is usally 15 to 20$ on Amazon.I just replaced 3 carbs on my riders for the same problem. I would rather rebuild them but the new carb is half the price as a kit. Two where John deers and 1 snapper. All the new carbs fixed the problem. Last year I had to replace the carbs on my 2 stihl weed eaters. Had them 15 years or so always ran fine.what ever there putting in the gas tears up small equipment carbs bad.

Boolit Master
    Also is it a two cylinder or one cylinder? I have a Poulan mower with a 27 horse two cylinder. One of the coils was going out. It ran fine but way low on power. Also I have hade a couple of times last year and twice this year that I have got water in my gas. Had to drain my tank empty and refill with fresh gas.

Boolit Master

Many above have given you the RIGHT answer. Watch this YouTube video for the SIMPLE FIX to almost ALL small engine waffling, surging, and "hunting" in its rpms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOI293d8XUg
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast