RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lyman 525 slug: Rifled vs smooth bore

Boolit Master

Lyman 525 slug: Rifled vs smooth bore

Removed the rifled barrel on my 870 yesterday, to test some buckshot loads with the smooth bore and IC choke. Also, to test my Lyman slug loads in the smooth bore.
    The first shot two slug rounds were shot at 21 yards. These two slugs landed centered and side by side. I figured that was good enough to get it on paper at 50 yards. These slugs are cast using ww+2% +/-. The base cavity is hot glue filled. Total weight of these slugs are 524 grains +/-. I use a WAA12 (white) wad. The slug is sized down to .672. The IC choke measures .720. So the sized down slug and wad total diameter is approximately .725. I ran a couple through the Chrony. The two velocity's ran 1337 and 1321 fps respectively.
    I found two of the wads after firing yesterday. The petals were totally pinched off at the base of the cup. In the rifled barrel (.729) the diameter of the wad and unsized slug was .735 +/-. I really didnt want to try and poke that combination down the IC @ .720. In the rifled barrel, it would group 3.5" @50 yards.
    The 50 yard smooth bore grouping was 5" plus a flyer. The slugs did hit straight on, no yaw. So I did loose some accuracy with the smooth bore and IC choke. But the buckshot patterns were way better than those in the rifled barrel. Looks like I'm going to be doing some more testing with the slug loads.
    Regards
    Last edited by littlejack; 07-01-2020 at 08:06 PM.

Boolit Master
    I’ve used the Lyman 525 quite a bit as well as it derivatives in 10 , 16 , 20 and 28 gauges . And in all instances it was in a SxS with fixed chokes . I’ve also killed deer with these slugs in several 10 gauge guns and a couple 12 gauge guns . My parameters may not be as stringent as yours as I’m typically satisfied with decent groups at 25 yards although one of my 16 gauge guns does very well at fifty yards . Anyway usually one barrel does better or is closer to point of aim and I’ll use a slug in one and buck in the other . So your findings and my own are somewhat parallel . Eventually I wanna load some of the 525’s in 3” hulls for a Browning A-5 12 MAG .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master

That 3" will leave a mark on ya.
    Good hunting.

Boolit Grand Master

You can run any slug you want through an IC choke, it won't harm it. You can get better accuracy than that, but it takes some fiddling. I wouldn't accept less than 4" at 50 yards from a smooth bore, or 2" from a rifled barrel.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejack View Post
    That 3" will leave a mark on ya.
    Good hunting.
    It’s not that bad actually . Two or three times I’ve taken that little Benelli Montefeltro 3” with the factory 24” barrel and a Kicks buckshot choke screwed in shooting factory 3” buckshot and scored doubles on deer . Unfortunately my Montefeltro is one from the late 80’s early 90’s and there’s no way to get more than three shells in it .

Boolit Master

I'll be play with the slug loads. See if I can tighten them up some.
    When I tested the Win. Western 2 3/4 Magnum yesterday, there was a definite increase in recoil from the other loads. I was setting down, that prolly didn't help none.

Boolit Master
    why fill the base cavity with hot glue?

Boolit Master

It prevents the base of the wad cup to get pushed up into the cavity of the slug.

Boolit Master
    I use hot glue as well most of the time . But since the pandemic I was stuck at home and my glue gun was at the shop so I used candle wax and it did very nicely also . And to be honest I got a flatter base although personally I don’t feel it made any difference over those I’d use hot melt glue .

Boolit Grand Master

Hot glue with no glue gun It burns so light the end and it will drip like a candle Smokes though so not an indoor toy.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

I just use a glue gun.
    Put the nozzle into the cavity base. This will help to stop most of the air bubbles. Squeeze the lever while raising the nozzle up and out. Leave a button of glue on top of the cavity. After cooling off, and using a very sharp and thin knife, I roll the slug on a flat surface while pushing down, and holding the knife at the base of the slug. The button of glue cuts off to leave a perfect flat base on the slug.
    When I first started using the hot glue, I would fill the cavity a little above the base. Then, pick up the slug, turn it over and push down on a non porous surface and hold until it cooled. This works good and the bases are flat. The only issue is that some of the glue squirts out around the edges of the slug. Then you have to pull or trim off the excess from around the base.

Banned

The glue is also for the skirt of the slug to stop it from collapsing. Main reason this slug throws fliers for no reason. The skirt is collapsing different each time it is fired. It happens more with wads that have a weak base seal.

Boolit Master

Using the WAA12 (white) in my Lyman 525 loads. They have a very strong powder seal. I have used in the past, the Helix Cushion Driver #18 in some straight wall hulls. Those are a whole different story. The powder seal on those is soft, thin and won't hold up in some loads.

Boolit Master
    I have been using the old Winchester Red wads with no glue. They shoot around 3" at 50 yds.

Banned

Mine were 2.5" at 100yds. Mossberg 9200 rifled barrel scope. You just need to find the combo your gun likes.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Mossberg 9200 with Winchester red wads 2.5 inches at 50 yards.
    Hot glue capped with a over powder card laid on glue when hot with a slug set on top to keep it flat while glue sets up then trimmed if needed.

Boolit Master

Did Winchester start making the WAA12R wad again? I thought they had stopped making those years ago?

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot mine in 2 Vepr’s. One I had cut down and a rifled barreled extension added. It’s been a while since I did the test but rifled is slightly better but both were close to the 3” mark.

Not using glue... My results are good enough. Just using this for those dangerous paper and steel targets.....

Boolit Master
    Did Winchester start making the WAA12R wad again? I thought they had stopped making those years ago?
    I bought mine over 20 years ago. I am getting low, any recommendations for a replacement?

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Yes, Winchester quit making them years ago. Back before lead was illegal on waterfowl hunting it was my duck and goose wad on all my reloads and I had over a thousand of them. Now only a few hundred left. CB is making a clone. How close the clone is I don't know since I still have some of the original Winchester Red wads left.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast