WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: loading .44 special for colt SAA

Boolit Mold

loading .44 special for colt SAA

does anyone know where data for loads for the .44 special can be located?? i have a small amount in an old speer manual but there has got to be a better source

Banned
    Easiest online source would be Hodgon reloading, lists a lot of powders
    https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol
    Just plug in 44 special

Also Alliant powders data
    http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...aspx?gtypeid=1

A thread I started other week had some other good links suggested.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...l-printed-data

Vendor Sponsor

There are a few threads on this forum discussing +P loads for 44 Special, in a large frame or medium frame Ruger these loads are safe and useful for hunting.

Although Elmer used the Colt SAA for much of his early research in development of the 44 magnum, I personally would not use any +P load data In a Colt SAA.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Grand Master

Open Molly's collection of articles on the .44 Special (the link in #4) and Brian Pearce's article is the best single article I have read. I have a number of .44 Special Revolvers and have been shooting and hunting with them for decades. Long ago, I settled on Skeeter Skelton's favorite load (7.5 grs. of Unique behind a 250 gr Keith SWC bullet - mine is a Mihec faithful copy of the H&G #503 - home cast, of course from WW's +2% tin). This gives about 950 fps and is a dandy field carry load. If you are using an older Single Action Colt or an Italian Clone, Brian suggests a max of 6.9 grs. of Unique for just over 900 fps.

FWIW
    Dale53

The 45th Edition of the Lyman reloading manual used a 5 1/2” Colt SAA for all the 44 special data listed.

Boolit Master
    There are many sources for load data for Colt’s SAA .44 Specials. A 3rd gen. SAA can take a lot of pressure, loads such as available from Brian Pearce in Handloader magazine tend to be on the warm side. I shoot more pedestrian velocity, high round count friendly loads.

What are looking for?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    IIRC Larry Gibson has done some pressure testing recently of .44 Special loads. If we ask very nicely maybe he would share.

Using Accurate 43-257H semi-wadcutter I use 5 grains of Bullseye in a prewar S&W .44 Hand Ejector and have not loosened up the gun, but consider it a "full-charge" load. With the lighter 43-206H I use 6 grains and also load the exact same bullet and charge in my 5-1/2 inch 1905 Colt Frontier Six Shooter .44-40 which approximates pre-WW2 Rem-UMC balloon-head factory loads as to velocity, about 950 fps.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Mold
    hello-i certainly wouldnt use any thing with more than 15,900 cup in a colt SAA-it is well known that they cant stand pressure as high as rugers or contenders-thanks for the reply

Boolit Mold
    all i use are lower pressure loads in a colt SAA-just want more data

Boolit Mold
    thanks

Boolit Mold
    thanks i'll get one

Boolit Master
    General rule, for lighter loads, use faster burning powders such as Bullseye, Red Dot, 700-X, AA-5, 231. The .44 Special is a great cartridge. Trail Boss is more goof proof, it’s fluffy. Fast burning powder tend to fill the case a little less which could make a double charge of powder not readily visible. Trail Boss is for light loads with more of the case filled, and so it’s a real popular powder.