Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: C V Schmitt #24 press

Boolit Buddy

C V Schmitt #24 press

Several years ago I became the owner of a C V Schmitt #24 press. It was part of a lot of reloading stuff from an estate. I really had no desire to own it, but wanted some of the other items, so I bought the lot. I wanted to include a couple of pics, but they would not load to the sight. (Seems like everytime I try to load pics here, it is a long involved process for me to figure it out, and then by the next time I have forgotten what I had to do. Need a twelve year old to help me out.)

Anyway, I am trying to obtain some more info on it, and assume that those of you with knowledge of these units will know what they are. For those who don't, it is a heavy, cast unit, with lots of engineering and mechanics, operates on a horizontal plane, includes a primer feed, almost for sure uses proprietary dies and weighs something over 25 pounds.

I found an old thread here, but it did not give a lot of info. There are two of them currently listed on ebay for what I $750 and $1000, but are a set price, and not auction, so I am sure is someone fishing for somebody with more money than sense.

Am wondering if any of your smart folks have any knowledge or experience with this unit, if there is a practical use for it, and if not, would like to try to come up with a realistic ball park value, and if the Classified and Sellin pages here are a good place to market it, or if there might be a better option, or another site to gain more info on it. My online searches have not lead me anywhere worthile.

Thanks again for any help,

Jackpine

Banned
    Do you have any dies for it? It's an interesting design for certain, and well advanced for the 1920's when Constantine Schmitt designed it.
    I have one along with it's little brother, the Model 12. There is very little Schmitt literature available, I have a couple of small booklets. I wrote a brief description of the Model 24 several years ago that's published in the ARTCA Journal.

As for the folks on eBay, the 1000 dollar one has been listed for 5/6 years. The 750 one just over a year. Think they are too high? Neither have the dies or priming tube parts, just a plain press.

Ken

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for reply Pressman. I think "interesting design" is an understatement. And lots of precision machined parts, with adjustments. Kind of like looking at the insides of a Winchester 97. Looking at the bottom, I assume there was a special base or mounting brackets for it, for quick removal, or am I making an incorrect assumption? I can only speculate how the dies looked and mounted into the press, but would guess the horizontal mounting made for less than convenient processing, but would make use incredibly stable.

I would love to read the article you wrote, if a copy is available. Would like to know a little more about it, how the dies connected, and the base. I have pulled it out a couple times to show to someone when there is a discussion about how the "old craftsmen" did things, but other than trying to adopt it to a special use a few years ago, which did not turn out to be practical, have not looked at it in quite a while. Am anticipating a move in the next couple years, so am trying to clean up some accumulations.

I recently saw a post on another reloading tool (can't recall now what, but sometimes can't remember my own name) that was made years ago in Minnesota and have a set of dies (White maybe?) that were also made by some long gone machining company in Minneapolis. Were there similar examples all across the country, or was Minnesota home to a bunch of the old German craftsman, maybe with Schutzen backgrounds, that was responsible for this happening.

Thanks again,

Jackpine