Thread: tru line jr

Boolit Master

tru line jr

going to put these back to good use

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2169.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	264304Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2172 2.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	264306[ATTACH=CONFIG]

Banned

That's what I started on 50 years ago.........very serviceable!

Boolit Master
    I remember seeing 7/8"-14 threaded turrets that someone was making but that was years ago.

Boolit Master
    I don't think the slides on the 55 have moved in a long long time. there was a bit of corrosion. I freed them up with a few drops of kroil and a light rubbing with 0000 steel wool. I wiped them dry with new rag and paper towel now I'm wondering what would be the best material to clean them the rest of the way and get the Kroil residue off. I was thinking carb or brake cleaner or 90% alcohol

Boolit Grand Master
    I clean the #55 rotors with the finest grade of Scotchbrite I can find then lubricate with graphite powder of the type sold for locks. Be sure to get every bit of that oil off before you even think of putting it together and using it to measure powder... that oil will contaminate the powder for sure. Your plan to use alcohol or (ether-based) automotive parts cleaner will work... but be sure of good ventilation if you go with the latter!

I have had a TL Jr bolted on the corner of the reloading bench for a good 35-40 years now. In recent years it has been dedicated to loading 32 S&W Long and it’s scaled perfectly for it. I note that your example is the improved version with enhanced leverage in the linkage. This is the best it gets for the little press, but remember it’s still no Rockchucker, so limit use to neck sizing or straight sided pistol cases... don’t overdo it.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    if I can find the 310 dies it might be perfect to set up and leave set up for 25-20

Banned

Lyman still sells the dies.

Boolit Master
    looking on Lyman site they currently only offer 45 colt and 38-55 310 dies

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    if I can find the 310 dies it might be perfect to set up and leave set up for 25-20
    Sounds like a plan! Remember, since these neck size only, you can use the same die set for both 25-20 SS and 25-20 WCF. I haven't done it, but one of my old time mentors did... a lot, apparently. The SS takes a #19 shell holder while the WCF will require a #10. The J-type shell holders aren't easy to find, but they are out there and worth looking for since you will only need one or two.

Either way, I believe you will find this a perfect application for the little TruLine Jr. Dies show up regularly on eBay as well as "Swapping and Selling" here. You might wish to contact some of the folks who advertise regularly here... go to our "Casting and Reloading Hand Tools" sub-forum where they have a sticky for the sole purpose of finding 310 dies. Good luck!

Froggie

Boolit Man
    Shell holder adapter: I have bought an adapter from Lyman for the current style shell holder. My Tru-line Jr.press is not mounted but is complete. The real killer is to figure out from the numbers on old Lyman dies exactly the caliber. Is the press in the picture one of the late models with compound leverage?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundball View Post
    Shell holder adapter: I have bought an adapter from Lyman for the current style shell holder. My Tru-line Jr.press is not mounted but is complete. The real killer is to figure out from the numbers on old Lyman dies exactly the caliber. Is the press in the picture one of the late models with compound leverage?
    To answer your last question first, yes it is the late style... the side linkage looks like an upside down letter Y, that's the give away.

As for the number code on the dies, just ask and ye shall receive. Send me a PM and I'll be glad to send you a digital copy of my chart showing almost all of the numbers plus an article I wrote with some explanations as well. It was written for the 310 tool, but the numbers will tell you what cartridges they fit.

Froggie

Boolit Master
    the dies are only neck size
    the 55 dont leave powder in the hopper, new types will stick
    if you can get the back screw loose and remove the measure part . your kroil will work and you dont need to clean it off. , just wipe all parts with a paper towel. and let sit out overnight
    the BLUE scotch bright is best sold in the house product area

Boolit Master
    all the slides were freed up in short order with just a few drops of Kroil, lightly polished with some 0000 steel wool and cleaned all of it up with a clean rag with some 90% alcohol . it once again in perfect order.

Boolit Grand Master
    farmbif, I got your PM, but I should have said when I offered, I need a regular e-mail address, the file is too big for me to put into a return PM... I sent you a PM but haven't heard back.

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    Still haven’t got a way to send you the list and article on 310 dies, farmbif. Should I assume you found what you need?

Froggie

Boolit Master
    I find this little measure very practical for small test batches - without re-organizing the whole desk for a new caliber. With a Lyman powder-through expander it is very nice,taking very little space.

I just made a box of 44 Mag, testing VV 3N37. Measures good and accurate!

And a Junior Press and 357 dies are ready for mounting. I just don't know where,not yet.

Boolit Grand Master
    ... and another one bites the dust! Just one more conversion to the dark side. BWAAH HAHAHA!

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    I remember seeing 7/8"-14 threaded turrets that someone was making but that was years ago.
    There is a gentleman who periodically sells them on fleabay.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar