Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee "real" bullets

Lee "real" bullets

Bought a cva optima in-line rifle. Been shooting sabot bullets over 2 f black powder.
    I have other 50 cal. Side locks that i shoot the lee "real" bullet in. They do pretty good.
    Was wondering if i can shoot the lee bullet in my cva in-line rifle. I would use a fiber wad between powder and lubed bullet.
    The lee real bullet is a 340 gr.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pix200440169.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	264300

Boolit Master
    Yes you could.

It probably has a faster twist so could shoot heavier bullets as well. Hornady Great Plains for example.

Or you can go a bit 'wild' and shoot something like the Lee .500S&W bullet (450gn). Or even learn to paper patch bullets

Boolit Master
    100%

I found a used Remington genesis for a whopping 25$ a couple years ago....cast up some Lee 320 REALs and put a felt wad from durofelt under it (give them a call they will send you a yard and that should keep you occupied for a while)

I have mine over a load of 95 grains of Pyrex RS select and boy is it a tack driver!!! Very accurate with this set up. I will say accuracy was not impressive without a felt wad but the felt wad was the ticket to good accuracy for me. The gun has a 1:28 twist

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    In my rifle accuracy was absent without a wad too, which I figure was due to the wider grooves.

Boolit Grand Master

I tried MANY different loads in my TC Impact 1:28" twist with the 320 gr REAL. This is a scoped gun that will shoot good loads into 2" at 100 yards, often better. The REAL's were never better than 2-3" at 50 yards. Felt or card wads didn't make the slightest bit of difference.

You have to carefully and fully cast the R.E.A.L. bullets to completely fill out the sharp edges of the driving bands or there will be inconsistency in how much of the bullet engages the rifling. They are not reliable in a revolver unless well cast or they migrate forward on the chambers under recoil. I would not use them in a double rifle unless they were quite snug fitting.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

The drive bands on REALs are of diameters to give some accuracy in some rifles and good accuracy in some. Just depends on how the bore and groove diameters match up to the drive bands.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    The drive bands on REALs are of diameters to give some accuracy in some rifles and good accuracy in some. Just depends on how the bore and groove diameters match up to the drive bands.
    While I'm sure there are some tight bore rifles that will shoot a REAL well, I'm 0-6 on all of the guns I've tried them in. They are consistently the worst shooting.

My advice is to not waste your time, go to a maxi ball or great plains bullet.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    While I'm sure there are some tight bore rifles that will shoot a REAL well, I'm 0-6 on all of the guns I've tried them in. They are consistently the worst shooting.

My advice is to not waste your time, go to a maxi ball or great plains bullet.
    I'd like someone at some point to do some testing to see what variables cause such a wide range of experience. I would expect to see a range of experience based on differing variables but it seems to be black or white, all in or not at all with Lee REALs. I was genuinely and pleasantly surprised on the accuracy I got...but I don't know why it works for me and not for you. I believe you that none of your guns like them...but they work great for me. I sure would like to understand what is causing that

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

My best guess is REALs need a tight bore. 4 of the ones I tried were TC 1:48" twists, one was a TC impact with 1:28" twist, and one an H&R with 1:35" twist. All of them have consistent, and standard sized bores, with shallow grooves. I also tried them in my TC scout pistol with 1:20" twist, and they did ok, but not great in that.

It takes too long to type everything I've tried, and it has been numerous. Just know I cast them with absolute perfection, every single one weighted and measured for diameter. I tried multiple alloys (inluding pure lead), and multiple wads, multiple lubes. I even tried beagling the mold for an extra .002" diameter.

In all 6 rifles, I can start a pure lead REAL with nothing but my thumb, and they will fall down the bore by the weight of the ramrod alone. They simply are not big enough. That is what I believe the difference is, the guys who get them to shoot, have tight bores.

I've never heard of anyone not getting a maxiball to shoot at least half decent, many times it's the best they ever tried.

They should not start that easy.
    No wonder you got no bueno.

Boolit Master
    Could it be the differences in the Lee molds? Curious about cast diameters. I am a round ball shooter, so the interest is academic only
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    Could it be the differences in the Lee molds? Curious about cast diameters. I am a round ball shooter, so the interest is academic only
    I can't remember off the top of my head, but I had both the 320 grain 50 caliber and the 380 grain 54 caliber. Both cast the top band to pretty much the same size as what others reported online. I even tried beagling the mold so that they cast about .002" oversize. I seem to remember .517" top band for the 50 caliber, and .557" for the 54 caliber. That's the top band only, they are tapered, and the driving bands are knife edges. For reference, the groove diameter on my TC renegade 54 caliber is about .550 and my TC Impact 50 caliber is about .510"

Banned

You cant run them as fast as other bullets. They just do not have enough bearing surface to grab the riling.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    You cant run them as fast as other bullets. They just do not have enough bearing surface to grab the riling.
    I tried them anywhere from 40 to 120 grains of blackpowder or Blackhorn 209. Nothing made a big difference, but it seemed around 100 grains was as good as it got.

Boolit Master

I'm toying with the idea of buying a mould for my .50 cal. Genesis and casting up a bunch of these out of 94-3-3 alloy. Yes, I know, they'll be way hard but the 3% antimony will also make them bigger. The 94-3-3 runs 12 BHN, I'm thinking a short starter will pop them into the bore nicely, might even be hard enough so they don't strip the rifling.....could always water drop them........I needed another project.....where's my pencil?
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    If you want some more fun try paper patching. There is a good sticky on this up above.

Boolit Grand Master

Top band on the Lees run .017 over the size on all my calibers, 45, 50 and 54 so .517 is right on.
    I did Lees with alloy. Not real hard but somewhere in between soft and WW lead. I was using range lead. It worked, just got to give it a real good wack to start. Hurts the palm after a while. A mallet would help or at least have a short starter that is wide like a door knob.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    I'm toying with the idea of buying a mould for my .50 cal. Genesis and casting up a bunch of these out of 94-3-3 alloy. Yes, I know, they'll be way hard but the 3% antimony will also make them bigger. The 94-3-3 runs 12 BHN, I'm thinking a short starter will pop them into the bore nicely, might even be hard enough so they don't strip the rifling.....could always water drop them........I needed another project.....where's my pencil?
    That's about what clip on wheel weights run. I tried them, and it's not good. The driving bands are too brittle, and chip, rather than form to the rifling. 20:1 alloy made them seat harder than pure lead, but they shot no better.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I tried them anywhere from 40 to 120 grains of blackpowder or Blackhorn 209. Nothing made a big difference, but it seemed around 100 grains was as good as it got.
    Thats the thing with TC rifles. It seems the inlines are about a .51cal. My side hammer NewEnglanders shoot them perfectly. The older one that does not have the false muzzle is a tack driver. The other one is good but not as good as the normal muzzle. I also have a TC System1 50cal. It does not like anything other than sobots from Precesion Extreme or they used to be called that. Then it would do a 2" group at 200yds. Everything else was a scattergun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast