Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Reloading Everything

Thread: Who's loading .375 H&H in a model 70?

Who's loading .375 H&H in a model 70?

I'm getting tired of the prices for j bullets, Am going to start casting for my .375 H&H Alaskan. Looking at the Lee 250 grain flat nose, plain base or the NOE 285 gr. GC flat nose. The range of H&I sizers has me a bit confused. The sizes listed are .375, .377,. 378, and .379. I am thinking to try the .378. Any of you folks load this caliber and what do you size at. This is a Portugese rifle, 3 yrs. old.
    Thanks, Stu

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Lots of variation in .375 chambers. Best is to do a pound cast of the neck and chamber throat before buying a sizer.

Try your Lee or NOE bullets as-cast and unsized, load dummy rounds with each and see if either will chamber. If one does, you can save bundles of money not buying a luber-sizer and gaschecks, but just tumble-lube the bullets in Lee Liquid Alox or 45-45-10 and load a light charge, 12-13 grains of any fast-burning pistol or shotgun powder with either of your bullets. Bullseye, Red Dot, TiteGroup, WST, 452AA, 700X all work. NO FILLER is needed. Either standard large rifle or magnum primers are OK. Velocity will be about 1200-1300 fps like black powder loads in a .38-55. With the rifle zeroed at 250 yards with the Speer 235-grain Hot-Cor at 2900 fps, point of impact with the cast load will be close at 50 to 100 yards without a sight change.

Very pleasant and cheap to shoot, will not wear our your barrel or your shoulder, and effective on white tails at woods range.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot a 278 gr gas check boolit over 44 grains IMR 3031 in a Win 70, Rem 700, and Ruger #1. I get 1820's fps and groups of 1 1/2 with the 70 and #1 and an inch or less in the 700. I size to 378 for all of em.
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown

Boolit Master

I load 60 grains of old 4831, with Lyman 375449 in my post 64 Win Model 70.
    Old Lyman loading manual.

My normal rule is to use the largest diameter bullet that will allow chambering
    the loaded cartridge.

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    I’ve loaded the RCBS 37 - 250 - FN in my post 64 M 70 for about 35 years. I sized it to .375 “ at first; just didn’t know any better. It still shot very well. I have recently purchased the Lyman 378674, but I have only used it in a M 700 I re-barreled to .375. Paper patched, it will easily do 2200 FPS over a case full of WC 860. This load pretty well does away with the need for jacketed bullet loads, at least where I hang out in NE Texas.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!