WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Learning about 00 buckshot

Boolit Master

Learning about 00 buckshot

Good day, all. First post and it looks like a helpful and knowledgeable group here.
    I've been reloading brass pistol and rifle for many years and have a fair amount of experience with that. I have also helped a friend reload shotshells for hunting many years back and it is a similar process as long as you don't get the powder/shot slide mixed up. My friend did that one time.

Recently with all of the unrest going on and our reliance on shotguns for home defense, I went through my inventory and found our stocks a bit lacking. Mostly 9 pellet 2 3/4" and 15 pellet 3" shells.
    Since 00 buckshot loads are pretty much non existent, I opted to load my own for myself and those in my circle that have similar needs. I am starting with a simple Lee press.

BP is quite well stocked for my needs. 2 3/4" Fiocchi and Cheddite primed hulls in stock for good prices. 00 buckshot also readily available and powder here locally.

Wads are where I am needing some guidance. So far this thread has been quite helpful.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ds-in-12-guage

Anyway. Glad to be here and thanks for any guidance.

Boolit Master
    you will want to get load data recipe from a respected source, Lyman shotshell load guide and ballistic products guides are some of the best resources. I put together a bunch using Fiocchi shells several years ago used shot I cast from a lee mold using federal 12s4 wads I think I was using longshot and Herco powder

Boolit Master

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Pretty-in-Pink
    Vendor Sponsor Casting Machine has good hard OO in swap and sell now

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hot-PERFECTION!
    This 2 3/4" load is as close to perfect as I've ever found in lots of testing on paper and on hogs.
    Every component has a reason so read all posts.

Good luck and welcome.
    Last edited by Hogtamer; 07-01-2020 at 06:03 PM.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the links.
    I've read that thread and it was quite informative. Sounds like a good staring place.

The Lyman reloading guide will be here today.

Since this is a joint effort with my oldest son, I'm having him pick up half of the reloading supplies. Also looking at doing some casting too.
    One of my other hobbies is fishing. We do a lot of trolling, Deep 100' or so with downriggers for lake trout and shallower for walleye. Getting some trolling weight molds is not out of the question too.

Boolit Master
    I must say that the BPI buckshot reloading manual is very helpful.

Boolit Master

Whatever wad it takes to get stacks of 2 and fit your hull. Stacks of 3 aren't in the same league as for pattern.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Mold
    Definitely you’ll need to refer to documentation, but you should also check out lBubba Roundtree Outdoors” on YouTube. I have found his experience with buckshot is very informative.

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    you will want to get load data recipe from a respected source, Lyman shotshell load guide and ballistic products guides are some of the best resources. I put together a bunch using Fiocchi shells several years ago used shot I cast from a lee mold using federal 12s4 wads I think I was using longshot and Herco powder
    I have some Fiocchi shells, 12S4 wads, but cannot find any OO buckshot data with Longshot. Where did you get it?
    Love somebody today

Boolit Master
    bpi coyote manual 2nd edition load # bk90601-933 is one of the Longshot loads

Boolit Master
    loads with federal wads are in Lyman manual but call for mostly federal shells, a lot of bpi loads call for vp53 or mg42 wads.
    might email bpi for suggestions since vp53 is no longer cataloged and you catch it just right to get mg42 wads while they are in stock

Boolit Master
    imrpowder website 1 3/8 oz load.

The Sharpshooter mold for #4 or 00 buck makes pretty good pellets and drops a bunch at a time. The secret is finishing them:

1. Clip off the sprues with a sharp pair of flush cutters.
    2. Put them in a tumbler or case cleaner with some graphite and let them roll or vibrate around until they are evenly round.