RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone used the FA pile driver puller yet?

I did start an Amazon return. It was sold through Amazon from midwayUSA. I don't anticipate any problems with the return. I'm just a bit disappointed.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rp- View Post
    I did start an Amazon return. It was sold through Amazon from midwayUSA. I don't anticipate any problems with the return. I'm just a bit disappointed.

It's a shame it did not work better. The only FA tools I have used are the hand priming tool and the Rotary case tumbler kit and accessories they they both work well for me.
    For pulling bullets I use the RCBS collet bullet puller or the hammer style . The hammer style works much better on concrete or a piece of RR track I use for an anvil or pulling bullets , but light bullets or heavy crimps require multiple whacks .
    Thanks again for the review of the tool.

I have used a Frankford Arsenal dry tumbler for years without issue and within the last 5 months I've also picked up the F.A. wet tumbler and case prep machine. Both of those are great as well. I kinda feel like the pile driver had a design flaw. You can see in this picture that the piece that broke was a plastic piece. If they had a metal.rod that went all the way through and used c-clips to hold it together then this thing would work much better.

Boolit Master
    I just set one up and used it today.I was pulling bullets from 1940 dated steel case 7.9 mm ammo.I have been unable to pull the bullets with collet bullet pullers and the hammer type impact drivers.It worked very well.The material used in construction doesn't inspire confidence in how long it will last.It does have a violent impact when activated.So far I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by KenT7021 View Post
    It does have a violent impact when activated.

That's no joke! Mine was mounted to a 4x4 post on my back porch. My wife said it shook the whole house!

Hope you're goes smooth. Maybe I just got a bad one. **** happens. We'll see what F.A. says when they get back to me.

I have not watch any videos of this thing in action. Too crappy an internet connection, Any way how does it work?
    I did look at the pics from FA. You load a cartridge in the one part, Put this part in the tool and move the lever.
    You mention springs, does this mean as you move the lever the cartridge is lifted, then the spring slam it down to remove the bullet? If so it seems to work a lot like the hammer type puller, but has more parts.
    It cost a bit more as well.
    I'll stick with my hammer tool.
    When I first saw the pics I thought it was a tool that was a stand alone unit that either used a collet or some sort of spring type bullet gripper.
    I'll keep whacking away with my hammer type or use the pliers.
    Leo

Quote Originally Posted by 44magLeo View Post
    You mention springs, does this mean as you move the lever the cartridge is lifted, then the spring slam it down to remove the bullet?
    Yes. Basically an overly complicated inertia (hammer type) puller. I wish I could have made a video for you guys.

Boolit Grand Master

I've got the Hornady collet pullers, but I don't like them for anything but certain jacketed bullets. The very fastest way is to drill a hole (I did 3/4") in a steel plate of about 2"x2". This plate protects the threads of the press. Then, using a shell holder of course, run your cartridge up in the press, and grab the bullet with whatever pliers works best for you. Finally lower the ram, and the bullet is removed. The bullet is destroyed in the process, but I only get so-so results with any remover, so I just plan on melting all pulled bullets.

I do use the inertia hammer most of the time. The keys are a hard surface, and a snapping action. I've tried a linotype pig, but I've got an old, hard as a rock railroad tie that works just as good. Plywood doesn't work well, pine 2x4 is horrible. Then the key is don't hit hard, hit fast. Rather than swing a hammer, snap your wrist. Most of the time it is a two hit deal for me. They rarely go all the way in one hit.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    Heads? Seriously? They're BULLETS.
    We call them heads here.
    If you say bullets, you'll get loaded rounds.
    It's a local thing.
    But I've also seen them called heads in a few on-line sites.
    To me, bullets is easier to say then cartridges.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rp- View Post
    Apparently he also missed the part about it not being a very good tool...

I did catch that.
    But like any other tool, it's all in the eyes of the beholder.
    Many think the collet puller is just junk.
    Most leave a mark on the heads(bullets).
    Hammer puller will not.
    So which is better?????
    Depends on the users preference.
    It would probably be a great tool for those with arthritis.
    Looks like the handle doesn't take much to move.
    I have three different brands of collet pullers.
    It makes less noise than the hammer puller.
    Which one do I use the most?????
    Hammer.
    I'll probably never buy one of these pullers, but I can see the beauty of the design and concept.
    Now if it were made of metal, and used a electric solenoid/motor to raise the ram, it could just find a place for some reloaders.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    We call them heads here.
    If you say bullets, you'll get loaded rounds.
    It's a local thing.
    But I've also seen them called heads in a few on-line sites.
    To me, bullets is easier to say then cartridges.
    We call the head the end of the case where the primer is the end opposite the bullet . That's why people on the forum don't understand what you are referring to when you use head referring to the bullet .

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    I did catch that.
    But like any other tool, it's all in the eyes of the beholder.
    Many think the collet puller is just junk.
    Most leave a mark on the heads(bullets).
    Hammer puller will not.
    So which is better?????
    Depends on the users preference.
    It would probably be a great tool for those with arthritis.
    Looks like the handle doesn't take much to move.
    I have three different brands of collet pullers.
    It makes less noise than the hammer puller.
    Which one do I use the most?????
    Hammer.
    I'll probably never buy one of these pullers, but I can see the beauty of the design and concept.
    Now if it were made of metal, and used a electric solenoid/motor to raise the ram, it could just find a place for some reloaders.
    Fair enough. I'm looking at the grip and pull. I think I'll get one of those guys and see how it works for me. I'll have to fine sh these rounds with a hammer puller though because they're lead and the grip n pull might not work for it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Have a guy in our gun club that moved here years ago from New York. He was talking about loading "heads" and I just looked at him with a questioning look on my face and said "loading what"?!!! Pulled out a box of bullets and I told him we say "bullets" here. He handed me a 270 round and said "this is a bullet", so went to say that is a cartridge or a round.

Your vernacular depends on where you grew up.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    Have a guy in our gun club that moved here years ago from New York. He was talking about loading "heads" and I just looked at him with a questioning look on my face and said "loading what"?!!! Pulled out a box of bullets and I told him we say "bullets" here. He handed me a 270 round and said "this is a bullet", so went to say that is a cartridge or a round.

Your vernacular depends on where you grew up.
    That is true is a case head separation is supposed to happen with each pull of the trigger

Boolit Master
    It has always astonished uneasily astonished me how many people who should know better can comfortably call stuff what it plainly isn't.

Like cartridges are "bullets" and bullets are "bullet heads" and brass cases are "shells" and black semi-auto rifles are "assault rifles" and a thousanth of an inch is written "0.0001 inch" and the many bullet casters who call melting lead in a pot "smelting" and a lot of other words which are not what they're being called.

Oh well, it's dumm but we learn to smile a bit and move on don't we?

Boolit Grand Master
    Reminds me of "soda".
    Many places they call it "pop".

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah, I also say "I'm heading up to _______"... even if I'm going somewhere south. It's still incorrect. At least pop is a nondescript word that can't really be mixed up with another drink. When the base of a cartridge case is called a head, it is kinda confusing to call the bullet a head too. Just sayin.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    It has always astonished uneasily astonished me how many people who should know better can comfortably call stuff what it plainly isn't.

Like cartridges are "bullets" and bullets are "bullet heads" and brass cases are "shells" and black semi-auto rifles are "assault rifles" and a thousanth of an inch is written "0.0001 inch" and the many bullet casters who call melting lead in a pot "smelting" and a lot of other words which are not what they're being called.

Oh well, it's dumm but we learn to smile a bit and move on don't we?
    And sometimes we grind our teeth while smiling and moving on...

Bill <--- too long as an editor, now resembles a grammar Nazi.

Boolit Grand Master
    It's interesting how in different parts of the world, the same thing is called something else.
    Here we get a kick out of people who say "Tuna Fish" when we call it "Ahi"
    When I was young, I didn't know Ahi was Tuna.
    Of course it's a different type of Tuna.
    Bullets, heads, boolets, projectiles, cartridges, bullets, rounds, cases, shells.
    Does it really matter what we call them, as long as we know what we're talking about????

Boolit Master

It matters if the person you are talking to is use to using proper terminology. In a forum like this, you are talking to persons from all over the world.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast