Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Japchester 73

Boolit Master

I have a Friend that bought a Uberti 1866 copy when they first came out in .45Colt, almost 30yrs ago. His standard Cowboy Shooting load is 8.0grs of Unique under a 230gr TC for Revolver and 255gr RF for Rifle.

He probably averages 3,000 - 5,000 rounds a year.

I've probably shot half again that much in my Uberti 1873 Clones from 1987-2010. A .44-40 that I shoot a load of 225gr RF over 6.0grs of Titegroup. Used to use Unique until I switched after Titegroup came out, just a bit more economical, better for the cold at Winter Range.

And My Uberti 1866 clone; I've put about 3,000+ rounds of #454190-260gr over 9.0grs of Unique. Plus thousands of My STD Cowboy Load of 225gr TC over 5.0grs of Clays.

After 33+yrs of Uberti rifles with a toggle link action ? I think they will last a long time.

Just don't abuse them, too much.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Awesome fella's. This is just the confirmation I looked for. This winny short carbine is just a blast to carry AND shoot. I will feel comfortable loading and shooting my favorite loads in it. They are not over the top but I guess that I let the talk of weak 73 Winchester get the better of me ... did the same thing with my 1884 trapdoor ... same story with an old original sporting rolling block chambered in 40-65 W.

Any rate, I look forward to getting better acquainted with this very cool rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    I extrapulated a load using the Lee handbook and info from Lyman cast bullet manual, but now am questioning the pressure. Lee talks about less than 20,000 cup and tells you oal but doesn't mention which bullet. It shoots about 2" at 50yds and shows no overt signs of scary pressure but thumps pretty good at the shoulder. Am going to size to 452 or 451 for the next bunch instead of 454.

kwk.us/pressures.html is a site that should give you idea of loads per caliber (U.S. and European).

20 K seems a bit heavy for the 1873 Winchester rifle. The blackpowder loads do not seem over 11 or 12 K and my thinking is 15 K for smokeless ... [ IN A "NEW" RIFLE ] ... Not an original ... but then I have been surprised at the strength of these old style guns a lot.

Too much fun I say! I have always been a sucker for old style stuff. Now I find ME being old style stuff ... when did this happen anyway?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    20 K seems a bit heavy for the 1873 Winchester rifle. The blackpowder loads do not seem over 11 or 12 K and my thinking is 15 K for smokeless ... [ IN A "NEW" RIFLE ] ... Not an original ... but then I have been surprised at the strength of these old style guns a lot.

Too much fun I say! I have always been a sucker for old style stuff. Now I find ME being old style stuff ... when did this happen anyway?
    There was a discussion simlilar to this around the Uberti 1876 some time back - eventually someone came back saying Uberti had stated it safe for loads up to 28000 (PSI ?) - proofed to 34000(PSI?) ---loaded to that level would be a stomping load in a 45/75.

Also Winchester back in the day marketed a 450 x 90 grain BP load for single shot use in the originals so they must have thought there was a decent safety margin

That 450x90 grain must have been in a 76 rifle correct? That and when you say "single shot" do you mean loading the 76 in a single shot mode directly into the chamber without running it thru the action?

Thanks for the insight. Also have never had a 76 around to fiddle with ... how do the toggle's compare to the 73?

Boolit Master
    That 450x90 grain must have been in a 76 rifle correct? That and when you say "single shot" do you mean loading the 76 in a single shot mode directly into the chamber without running it thru the action?

Thanks for the insight. Also have never had a 76 around to fiddle with ... how do the toggle's compare to the 73?
    yes with 90 grains loaded the OAL is way to much to cycle from the magazine - I cant even eject an unfired round - have shot my Uberti 76 thisaway using pointy nose 500 grain over about 83 grains FFg - I figured if Winchester sold the ammo for an original it was (should be) a safe bet in a modern replica.

Toggles in a 76? - the 1876 is just a 1873 on steroids - everything got bigger - same proportions just bigger.

Cool. Thanks.

Is it your premis then that a modern made '73' will withstand a diet of the 28,000 K loads then?

Thanks.

Boolit Master
    Cool. Thanks.

Is it your premis then that a modern made '73' will withstand a diet of the 28,000 K loads then?

Thanks.
    Nope!!! a japchester 73 might take it ok but I reckon thats a 92 load - we know a modern made 92 will take that stuff better, easier and for way longer.

10-4 ... thanks ... my impression as well. 92's are tough tough! Have a couple japchester's 92's and of any rifle short or long ... these I do not worry about strength.

My 73's tho ... another story. I aim to keep em runnin for the rest of my lifetime and down through grand and great great grand chillins ... sooo ... no hotrod loads through them.

Bought Rossi 92's for birthdays years ago ... one in 45 Colt the other in 357 mag. No worry as to safe shooters for them.

Boolit Buddy
    I have been following this thread for awhile. I agree that the 73 should not be hot rodded too much. It is NOT as strong as a 92, no matter the improvements in metal. However, no less an authority than Ken Waters stated the ORIGINAL 1873 Winchester's pressure limit was 22,000PSI. He was considered an expert on the old guns. Now, i'm not saying that should be tested every round, just that maybe the 13,000psi is conservative. I'd love to hear some more thoughts on this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12