Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Jig for Hi Power or 911 grips... love to make my own grips.

Boolit Master

Jig for Hi Power or 911 grips... love to make my own grips.

I am looking for a jig to make Hi Power or Springfield 911 grips. I have the jig for 1911's and make my own micarta grips. Need to get the angles right and hole locations right.

The first is made from high gloss heavy black paper and the second from well used and worn denim. The feel on the denim grips is amazing, they never get slick in rain or with nasty sweaty hands.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Black_1911.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	264274
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blue1911s.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	296.2 KB 
ID:	264275

Say what about paper and denim? The blue grips look like sky laminate wood?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I think he took and layered them and made his own laminate.
    Ron Reed
    Oklahoma City, OK

Boolit Master

Did you compress the layers or just squeeze/squeegee out the excess epoxy? Want to make knife handles out of my old BDUs for a knife I'm planning on making.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    That's how Micarta is made, isn't it?
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Per Google
    Micarta is a brand name for composites of linen, canvas, paper, fiberglass, carbon fiber or other fabric in a thermosetting plastic. It was originally used in electrical and decorative applications. Micarta was developed by George Westinghouse at least as early as 1910 using phenolic resins invented by Leo Baekeland.
    Ron Reed
    Oklahoma City, OK

Boolit Master

Yes, they are both laminates. The black one is heavy high gloss paper and the other is old jeans. I do mine under pressure, I coat and smooth each layer to get the air out and I usually shoot for about twice the thickness of the target material. I lay them in on planed oak, stack them up and then compress them with a clamped slab of planed oak. They remain clamped for 24 hours and then I remove and work them. It really helps to use a wax release agent on the form boards or you may not get them apart. About any material can be used, the fiberglass resin adds the strength and waterproof to the material. I have been known to add pearl paint powders and metal flake to the composite as well, looks fantastic in the sun! Grain is controlled by the thickness of the materials and color is controlled by the actual material. I made a set for someone that was made out of burlap grain bags with an occasional black strip for visual distraction, they came out awesome. They polish up very well, have gone as far as 2000 grit paper before hitting the buffing wheel. The black ones are contoured to fit my hands. I have also formed S&W pistol grips for a couple of buddies, but they had to help as the work takes hours. Thus the reason I do not have any on mine.

Reed1911 is correct, the first use of "Micarta" was in the fabrication of circuit boards, think tubes not solder traces on the boards, only sockets and wire. Over the years, it has been used for many applications in very thin to very thick materials. I have a slice of the original stuff from early Westinghouse production in my collection of antique electronics gear. Until you make it and work it, you do not realize just how strong it really is. Grip thickness slabs are virtually indestructible.

Back to my issue... I really need a jig for the Hi-Power and would love to cut a set for my 911. Has anyone seen either jig anywhere? I may have to drag out the carving knives and dremel and fashion my own by hand.

Just showed the kiddo (he's an artist), his response was "Awesome! It looks like the effect you get with overwet paper using watercolor and striations with the brush" He wish's you had a portfolio to show off your work.

We get lots of cool ideas from other crafty guys and gals, and then tend to mash them together and create new ideas or just duplicate some.

I'm not big on social media, but when it comes to stuff like this, it sure is a blessing.

So, a big thumbs up from the whole Reed Family.
    Ron Reed
    Oklahoma City, OK

Boolit Master

Unfortunately, I never think to take photos... My oldest daughter wants me to outfit her 1911 with some wild colors, if I get them built I will post them up for sure. I have also made key fobs and key belt clips with tailings in the past as well as bench blocks and interior guns scrapers that will not damage the blue or scratch things.

Boolit Buddy

Those look awesome MattW! Have you looked at Brownell's for jigs?

Boolit Master
    If you're on Facebook, look here:

https://www.facebook.com/1911GripJig...TECJ3JOcBVUCo_
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.