WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is is that I feel like I need a new caliber of gun???

I don't consider it an addiction. A lifestyle, a passion, life's work, but not an addiction. The only difference between being into guns and technology is that guns no longer are a driving force in our economy, like they were for the 3 centuries prior.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I don't consider it an addiction. A lifestyle, a passion, life's work, but not an addiction. The only difference between being into guns and technology is that guns no longer are a driving force in our economy, like they were for the 3 centuries prior.
    From what I can tell, 12-16 million firearms are sold in this country every year currently. That seems like a rather important sector of an economy to me.

Boolit Grand Master

I buy all kinds of stuff, just because. For guns, one of my most recent was a Contender in 309jdj. I don't like Contenders, and I don't like deer hunting with rifles. Yet, I felt it would be cool to have one. And it was cool, until I realized it would likely just sit forever, never used.

Some have been great. I've got a Henry rifle in 327 federal, just because I wanted a rifle in that caliber. I love it. I've got a Springfield M1A that I bought for no reason other than I always thought the M14 was the finest semi automatic rifle ever produced.

If need had any part in this, I should have stopped at a Mossberg 500 and a Ruger GP100.

Quote Originally Posted by Dapaki View Post
    YES! Buy it! It's only $229.00!

You want it because it's sexy, it's a straight wall, it's legal to hunt deer with in.... gosh dern near every state now? Because You can size just about any .38 or .357 round and if it has an ogive or a TC, it will feed! 90gr .380 PC boolits to 200gr +, you pick your poison!

Also... black powder. Yupper, kicked with a few grains of 4198. Messy? Yes but fun to try!

I love mine, cant you tell?

https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/350...charging-upper
    Damn you... Convinced the wife and now I got one in the mail... Pretty sure I'm gonna love it...
    WWG1WGA

Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    Damn you... Convinced the wife and now I got one in the mail... Pretty sure I'm gonna love it...
    You're not alone. Mine arrived two weeks ago. You will not be disappointed. Give the barrel a good scrubbing when you get it. Mine took a lot of cleaning to get a clean patch out of it. I got a mil-spec, Aero Precision lower on sale from my local dealer for $200.00 bux, and a brass catcher that clips on to the pic rail.
    I live and hunt in a no rifle zone, so this little carbine is going to be a nice addition.
    Last edited by fastdadio; 07-02-2020 at 10:37 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

My girlfriend and I were just talking about my "hobby" last night. Told her could be worse. I could be smoking, drinking, and womanizing. I like my guns. Unlike the Left's, mine dont go running around shooting people when I am not looking. They are a bit promiscuous though as I swear they breed. Cleaned out my walk in closet for her to use and found two ar15 lowers. Did I mention I love my hobby and have not nor will I ever sell or trade one? Let the kids worry about it when I am gone. Hoping son keeps them but who knows.

I have a core group of "needed" guns. The others come and go as I get something I want, play with it a while then let it go to someone else. But the core group grows for some reason.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    New toys are fun to play with. Have one i have been wanting showed up recently and keep telling myself dont need it. Have about 10 contender barrel sets i have not even shot yet. But they are nice to have and looking forward to them when i get time.

Boolit Grand Master

Hmmm. I may have one or two of those promiscuous guns as they seem to multiply when I ain't looking. That or my gun safe is shrinking...
    Last edited by mdi; 07-03-2020 at 11:46 AM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    I wonder if anyone bothers to analyze a new rod or reel purchase? Or what about the new super catfish/bass/crappie/ling cod/ tuna/barracuda killer lure?
    When I was still fishing for tuna out of Crescent City, the most productive lure was a plain corky. Colors didn't seem to matter. Ling Cod was lead head jigs, other bottom fish was shrimp fly rigs. I think its time to wet a line, I'm out west visiting grand babies and my brother.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master

Few years ago I made what I thought was a reasonable low-ball out-the-door offer for a new S&W in .41 Mag. The dealer nearly cried as he sniveled around for a few minutes, then took me up on my offer. I'd had a few .41s before and had an ample supply of brass so why not. Shortly afterward a gun dealer advertised that he had a couple of Ruger .30 Carbine revolvers. The price was dirt cheap (a little over $ 500 for a new Blackhawk, so I got that one. Both the .41 S&W & Ruger .30 Carbine are great shooters. Over the years I've been a brass scrounger (no one else here so afflicted I presume) and I have a lifetime supply of .40 S&W brass (already de-primed, cleaned & ready to load), dies, etc., but no .40 gun. So what's a guy to do in a situation like that? Big Boomer

Quote Originally Posted by Big Boomer View Post
    Few years ago I made what I thought was a reasonable low-ball out-the-door offer for a new S&W in .41 Mag. The dealer nearly cried as he sniveled around for a few minutes, then took me up on my offer. I'd had a few .41s before and had an ample supply of brass so why not. Shortly afterward a gun dealer advertised that he had a couple of Ruger .30 Carbine revolvers. The price was dirt cheap (a little over $ 500 for a new Blackhawk, so I got that one. Both the .41 S&W & Ruger .30 Carbine are great shooters. Over the years I've been a brass scrounger (no one else here so afflicted I presume) and I have a lifetime supply of .40 S&W brass (already de-primed, cleaned & ready to load), dies, etc., but no .40 gun. So what's a guy to do in a situation like that? Big Boomer
    Buy a Glock 35 and a KKM barrel... Then the NOE HTC402-188-WFN really shoots nice under some AA#7 in it... Super accurate and just fun to shoot.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master

Thanks 44Blam. Just might do that. Big Boomer

Boolit Master
    Because the mystical rifle/caliber does not exist; there is always one more that might do the trick.
    Always searching for that magic combo that answers all desires.

If my eyesight would cooperate, I could be happy with just a few rifles..........now,
    The Winchester 94 carbine in 38-55 could handle just about all my NEEDS.
    I am extremely hesitant to mount a scope on a lever; to me it just defeats the purpose of a carbine.
    If I wanted to use a scope, I'd have to have a bolt and TO ME they are not "elegant".
    So, just that dilemma throws me into the search.

but it demands that I look for THE ONE.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    I wonder if anyone bothers to analyze a new rod or reel purchase? Or what about the new super catfish/bass/crappie/ling cod/ tuna/barracuda killer lure?
    Well....yes!!! I do. Whether it is a new fly rod or reel or both. Or a bait casting rig or spinning reel. And just today I had to run 50miles to Cabella's to replace a bunch of crank bait lures that I had lost due to fish, rocks, trees, etc. And, yes, only those would do. And don't get me started on fly tying and getting specific threads, hooks, beads, etc. Then there are tippets, leaders, indicators, etc. Whether or not I need new fly line this year and if I do which brand and model do I get. Or which model of fly tying vise I needed to buy to replace my 20 year old beginner version.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Why would you NOT feel like you need a new fun toy?

I am sooo tempted to get a Glock 40 in 10mm just to play, but there are other fun things I want too...

Fishing stories - Once was bottom fish fishing and the darn things wouldn't bother biting our baited hooks, but they'd bite and hold on to the pyramid sinkers we were bottom bumping with (in Puget Sound area.) That was sorta ... weird. Too long ago so I'm honestly not sure if it was Ling Cod or Halibuts, that was about 1977 or something...

Boolit Buddy
    I've got the same "problem", I'm always finding a new and interesting caliber. The most recent is a .50GI glock conversion, but I can justify it! I have a .50AE that I bought a mold for... well that shares bullets with the .50BEO, so I had to get an upper... and those can cross over with the .50GI... and I can dabble in the .500S&W... and Mihec has interesting .500 molds...

Boolit Grand Master

It's Fun !

Keeps you home at night and away from all those Bars and Strip Clubs !

I haven't gotten in a bar room brawl and arrested for D&D (drunk and disorderly) since I started casting and reloading ...my wife even approves of this hobby!

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    It's Fun !

Keeps you home at night and away from all those Bars and Strip Clubs !

I haven't gotten in a bar room brawl and arrested for D&D (drunk and disorderly) since I started casting and reloading ...my wife even approves of this hobby!

Gary
    This is the most Cajun thing I've heard in more than a year. I'm inspired - after shooting this weekend, I'm gonna make some gumbo.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    I've got work to do on various powders/boolits for various caibers... BUT I am always tempted to get a _______....

The latest _______ is a 350 legend upper... I've got the hots for one, but why don't I just dial in my 308 with the new SW Precision powder???

This hobby - it just never ends...
    Sexual insecurity. Are you not sure?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast