RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boar raccoon--getting rid of??

Boolit Grand Master

Boar raccoon--getting rid of??

Been having raccoon problems getting in the bird feed. Got a game camera and that sucker is pretty big. Can stand on its hind legs and is longer than the 30 gal trash can is tall. Been bending the metal lid to try and get in. Had a ratchet strap thru both handles and a few tie downs and thing still got in. Figured its a big male

Have a Havahart trap but thing is too wary. Using canned cat food. Anything else might be more tempting you can think of??

Sardines, they are like crack to 'coons. Then apply a 40 gr CCI Quiet and it tits up for Mr Coon!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    #1 leg hold at the base of the trash can. Smear the aforementioned sardines on the lid of the can so he will stand in it

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    good advice from cwtebay he knows what he's talking about

I use what they call a "dog proof" trap, raccoons love to stick their hands in things, haven't seen one yet that can resist one with a few dog food pellets in it. Then dispatch with whatever your preferred method is. Make sure you anchor it to something solid as they can tear up most anything shy of a t-post.

Banned

We had one (didn't know exactly what it was at the time) coming on the front porch at night because we had an outdoor cat and sometimes there would be food there. I tried the Havahart traps, caught possums now and then, just erlocated them, but often, the trap would be tripped with nothing in it.

If you're in town, this won't work, but I decided I'd had enough and parked the truck backed in to the carport adjacent to the porch and sat in the passenger seat with the window rolled down with a .22 rifle. I had managed to nail down within an hour or two what time of night it came by, but could never see it. Anyway, about the time I expected, it came in, made a few passes to make sure the coast was clear, it even came up to the side of the truck and stared at the window, I just froze so as not to scare it. Darn thing was wary. Then it went up the steps of the porch which put a hedge between me and it so I could get into position to shoot. Didn't take long since there wasn't any cat food and when it stepped back down on the steps, I shot it four or five times. The first shot anchored it, but it thrashed and growled and kicked for a while so I kept shooting, those things die hard. It was a big, old smart one which was missing one of its front paws.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Winchester 72A Coon.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	264212

Put a blanket or cardboard box over the trap except for the door.

We have some college educated raccoons here, and it works on them.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

If you can't catch him in the act, then the best thing would be 3-4 leg hold traps buried at the base of the bird feeder in question.

Boolit Grand Master
    How big can they grow?????
    They look kind of cute.
    But so do skunks.

Boolit Master
    My grandfathers trick for trapping feed eating coons.
    The shed floor was small and he put 5 to 6 traps around the feed sacks.
    When we checked the traps the coons would have several of the traps stuck on him as he thrashed around trying to escape.
    A club or claw hammer did the dirty work. No bait, ammo or .22 was needed and was a good thing since some of the ranch land was 5 to 8 miles from the house.
    EDG

When I used to trap a cheap brand peanut butter was all I ever used as on bait , would just smear a big dollop of it on the base of a tree above the leghold trap . A small strip of tin foil on a string right above the bait would help peak their curiosity .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    I use DP coon traps set at base of birdfeeder. Dog and cat safe. Mini marshmallows for bait. Then dispatch with 22 LR.

https://www.duketraps.com/

Winelover

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post
    I use DP coon traps set at base of birdfeeder. Dog and cat safe. Mini marshmallows for bait. Then dispatch with 22 LR.

https://www.duketraps.com/

Winelover
    Same here.

Boolit Buddy
    Here’s what I do around here. I’m in the city but back up to the river. Lots of coons.
    I establish a spot with visibility for me to sit and watch from inside the house through my back double doors. Game cam watches the spot and gives me an idea of when they come. They don’t quite come at reliable times but at least I get a ballpark. I have a red led spotlight shining on my chosen spot. I’ve tried green also but I got better results with all pest types with red.
    I have a piece of pale wood at my kill location that they show up well against.
    I use a 25 cal pcp air rifle with a 56 diameter scope so I can see. The red light is pretty dim so I need the help.
    I bait with leftovers usually. Small things work best. Things they have to stay to eat. Dry dog food mixed with pan drippings. Anything really.
    Anyway, I can sit with the lights off in my den watching tv and keep an eye on my spot out back.
    It’s fairly effective until the foxes get wise to it and start stealing all the bait. I like the foxes here. No one has any chickens or other targets for them. They don’t cause any issues here. If they did I’d pop them too.

Boolit Buddy
    To be fair, I’m sure my way isn’t the most EFFICIENT way. But I really enjoy it

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    Same here.
    Me to. Duke traps are awesome and so are the mini marshmellows. Coons go crazy over them. And they don't stink or have any lingering oils like sardines do.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    Raccoons are especially fond of sweet soda pop. Dissolve a little of something else in the soda pop and then you can just pick up that big 'ol coon and dispose of him. We call it raccoon kool-ade.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I used to live trap them and then transplant them - miles away. My best baits were a small wedge of watermelon, a small wedge of cantaloupe, a can of tuna fish or a jelly roll. One thing I learned early on was to secure the bit iwht a piece of wire at the end opposite the opening or otherwise, those pesky coons would be able to get it out and not get trapped. The older ones were smart . . . the younger ones? Not so much.

Boolit Master
    Dogproof traps - then a 38 wadcutter, 22's OK but something bigger is quicker, the big ones die hard, Out here noise is not a problem. I like sub-sonic 22LR hollowpoints for quiet, have used CCI and Aguila out of a 26" Mossberg 46Bb. The longer barrel is quieter.

Vendor Sponsor

We had coons in the neighborhood getting our feeders and getting in the garden. I set out a bait made with cat food under chicken wire they can't get at the can except by reaching through the openings, then I face it toward a window in the house that I have taken the screen off and left the window open and the door shut. I use a HF ding dong driveway alert to tell me when something is moving in the back yard. The back light is on and focused with tin foil to only illuminate the "bait" and it forces them to face me, where they are dispatched with a hot rodded .25 caliber Benjamin Marauder air rifle. Aim point is center of an imaginary X drawn between their ears and eyes.

I had an old she coon take a heavy pellet right in the middle of her skull, she recoiled and groaned and then took off much to my surprise. Buzzards found her in the front yard, dime sized flat spot on her skull but no penetration. I was shocked as she took this hit head on and wasn't drt. After I got done with the mods to the Marauder, it will shoot through 1/2" of plywood, so my coon medicine is powerful stuff now, would probably take a whitetail with a head shot no problem. And, neighborhood friendly quiet.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast