Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Boar raccoon--getting rid of??

Boolit Buddy
    I always used strawberry jam or dry cat food spiked with cherry flavoring for bait in live traps. I also would put cinder blocks around the trap so the the coon wouldn't move it around and accidentally trip it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Have a game camera set up, durn thing was sleeping on the deck this morning and wife saw it asleep (about 7:30). Looked out the back door and it was headed out of the back yard. Took out my .22 but it was at the fence line of the neighbor ,so I let it be. Strange it being out in daylight.
    It ignored the peanut butter, marshmellow and canned cat food in the trap.

Question on a related subject.

What do you guys use on ground squirrels? The whole neighborhood is contaminated with them. I have caught several in a have a heart trap, but I want to catch all that I can. I use peanut butter, but the snails have found it and eat it off the tray.

Thanks

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Joe Clarke View Post
    I use peanut butter, but the snails have found it and eat it off the tray.
    I put my 1/4 of a PB sandwich in a plastic bag, hang it from the top of the trap with holes, and pieces of the bag cut off
    so the smell gets out, and they can still see it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    Have a game camera set up, durn thing was sleeping on the deck this morning and wife saw it asleep (about 7:30). Looked out the back door and it was headed out of the back yard. Took out my .22 but it was at the fence line of the neighbor ,so I let it be. Strange it being out in daylight.
    It ignored the peanut butter, marshmellow and canned cat food in the trap.
    Be very wary ..when a coon acts not normal it's likely not normal ..seeing a coon push a raid in waning daylight headed for sundown is one thing ..quite another asleep on a porch at 7:30 am bright light of day ..distemper, rabies and a whole host of virus and parasites come to mind as I read your post ..DO NOT go barefooted on your porch as many of the just mentioned ailments are transferred via urine and feces to humans ..even if the stuff is dry the parasite especially can survive a long time in dried feces ..for these reasons we have a constant coon removal process in place ..we used to live trap but there were just too many and too much damage and too much feces all over decks and porches ..we now have 6 dog proof traps permanently stationed around our house that I set with plain dry cat food and spray fish oil/water mix around each trap (coon like the smell but not the taste) of fish oil so do not get any on/in the trap itself ..I will set and keep set all 6 traps on an every other week basis ..my record is 5 out of 6 ..more than once! ..but now have it down to 1 or 2 a week when set and the garden, flower bed and porch poop'n is down to sort of tolerable ...

Bear

Boolit Master
    Coons can be hard on local turkey populations. Since we started to get rid of the ones on our property we are seeing more and more wild turkeys. In the past we were lucky to see a hen with poults. The other day we seen two large groups walking around our backyard.
    East Tennessee

I somehow blundered into this article in 2006 on a cat and dog.killing herd of raccoons in Washington state. I'll never.forget it as long as I live. The.responses.after the.article are priceless. Beware the pansy-*** limp-wristed Washington pet owner. She'll turn you to stone (after.practicing on the coons).

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by buckwheatpaul View Post
    They love marshmallows.....
    It's amazing how many marsh mallows a coon can eat .... one night , sitting around a campfire with my kids we fed one 2 1/2 bags of full sized mallows . The kids had more fun feeding him than roasting marshmallows ... He liked them uncooked , after 2 1/2 big bags , his eyes glazed over in a sugar stupor and he waddled off into the darkness . The next night he was back but we didn't have any more ... he did eat a large bag of roasted , salted peanuts , the kind in the shell .
    I guess between all the sugar and salt we fed him his blood sugar and sodium levels must have been through the roof .... hope I didn't jack up his blood pressure too high ... we don't want to injure our wildlife do we .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Trapped one the other night and have one in the Duke paw trap this AM. Both were on the smallish side, which I figured, since they were able to steal the mini marshmallows...........on several nights, with out tripping the trigger. First one had both front paws in the trap, this one is held by one.

I'll put this one out of it's misery, as soon as I finish my coffee.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    I raise chickens and have racoon problems on occasion,
    I also have several AR lowers in my gun safe at all times. You never know when a new build will tickle my fancy.
    I picked up a dedicated .22LR upper and barrel 1:16 twist.
    Mounted a first gen night vision scope on it and had a blast.
    The lil buggers will sit there looking at you like you can't see them in the dark.
    Oh the surprise...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123