RepackboxLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fav 38 spec generic load

Boolit Master
    I had some Win 231 laying around so I tried 2 different weights of powder in a 4" S&W Model 15, both with 158 grain swc's:

4.0 grains = 800 fps

4.4 grains = 878 fps
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Buddy
    For years I used 2 loads . 5.0 grs of Unique and 3.5 grs of Bullseye with 158-160 gr swc's . They did all I could of asked for . Regards Paul

Quote Originally Posted by oldsalt444 View Post
    Can't go wrong with 231. I use 4.3 gr. with a 158 LSWC for ~800 fps.
    Yep, it’s what I use.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thinking about this overnight, I came to the conclusion that for run of the mill general purpose .38 Special cartridges, just about any powder faster than Herco (and there are quite a few of them) will work. Some better than others, some more economical, some meter better, but they will all work.

Robert

Boolit Bub
    Using the old HP-38 formulation (before Hodgdon started just labeling 231 as HP-38) I liked 3.8 gr of HP-38 under a 158 - 159 gr cast SWC, WSP, and just about any brass. It made a nice light, accurate load.
    For HS-6, I used 6.0 (from Ken Waters Pet Loads) to 6.7 (Lyman manual max) with WSP. In .38 Special I did not use magnum primers with HS-6.
    However, I highly recommend 5.9 gr of AA-5.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Thinking about this overnight, I came to the conclusion that for run of the mill general purpose .38 Special cartridges, just about any powder faster than Herco (and there are quite a few of them) will work. Some better than others, some more economical, some meter better, but they will all work.

Robert
    I agree, most any of these powders will give very good accuracy, red dot is a prime example but the hand measuring is what keeps me from using more of it than I do. I'm lucky in the fact that I have an old Herters from the 60's passed down to me and it will throw consistent charges of flake powders down to about 3.0 grains. It stays full of Unique will do the dot's just the same. The reason I use the HP-38 is from 3.8 to 4.4 under a 158 not a lot of accuracy difference so a 1/10 movement you will never see on the target. Of all the powders in that burn range the HP-38 seems to be the most forgiving.
    Tony

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ABJ View Post
    I agree, most any of these powders will give very good accuracy, red dot is a prime example but the hand measuring is what keeps me from using more of it than I do. I'm lucky in the fact that I have an old Herters from the 60's passed down to me and it will throw consistent charges of flake powders down to about 3.0 grains. It stays full of Unique will do the dot's just the same. The reason I use the HP-38 is from 3.8 to 4.4 under a 158 not a lot of accuracy difference so a 1/10 movement you will never see on the target. Of all the powders in that burn range the HP-38 seems to be the most forgiving.
    Tony
    Good post , I also have found certain measures/presses have a preference for what they work best with .
    Feedum what they like.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ABJ View Post
    Tony
    That is interesting. Never thought about that before. When loading 38 Special I use an old RCBS powder measure, and then weigh it with a trickler standing by over the pan. Sometimes it seems like just a flake or two is enough to nudge it, from say 4.4 grains of 231 to 4.5. I usually dump it back in the measure, but sometimes out of pure dee laziness, I go ahead and use it. Not thought about it being forgiving, but upon reflection the groups do still plunk in there to point of aim.

Thanks.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I started with 231 and have probably burned more of that than any other. For some reason, that I've never understood, Bullseye was difficult to obtain locally. That was pre-internet days, so ordering something involved an envelope, a stamp, a money order and about a 2 week wait That pushed me towards purchasing WW231 locally, which turned out to be a good thing.

I still use WW231 for some 38 Special loads (mostly because I have a lot of it) but Bullseye has become my primary powder for 38 Special loads.

They're both good powders and well suited 38 Special loads.
    My experience exactly, save for a period of about a year and half in the late 70's, when I was able to buy 8 lb kegs of Red Dot for just a shade over half what the Bullseye 4 lbers were running, when I could find them. When I moved to LA in the fall of 79, I found I could get 4 and 8 lb kegs of WW-231 for about a buck a pound cheaper that they were getting for Bullseye, and most of the time Bullseye was only to be had in even more costly 1 lb. containers. What was odd was that I had exactly the reverse experience with 2400 and 296. 2400 was nearly always to be had, while 296 was hard to find.

Anyways, 3.6 grains of red dot, 3.5 grains of Bullseye, 3.9 grains of WW-231 with a 358-477 150-ish SWC all seemed to work about the same for me.

My PPC loads were 2.8 grains Red dot, 2.7 grains BE, or 3.1 grains of WW-231 with a flush seated 148 grain wadcutter, either cast from my old Cramer 3 cavity 18H or purchased from a San Diego Commercial casting outfit. IIRC, they were 12.00/1000 back then, primers were 45.00 per 5000. My buddy at the Escondido Montgomery Wards Auto Center gave me all the wheel weights I could carry in exchange for the occasional case of beer. I shot tens of thousands of rounds in those days, for about .50 cents a box, $1.05 or so when I bought boolits.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Ah, you're showing your age, rintinglen. But you forgot to mention you were paying less than 30 cents a gallon for gas.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    In over 4 decades of loading .38’s I have only used three powders....Bullseye, W231, and Clays.

A while back I got 35 lbs of CleanShot cheap. It will become my new .38 powder. Have not tested it yet but have little doubt it will be just fine.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    Actually, by then gas was 69 cents a gallon.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Shoot, I well remember gas wars when it was $.25 a gallon. Fill up my VW for $2.50.

Boolit Master
    I like 158gr lrn powdercoated or hitech coated over 3.8gr titegroup and cci spp

Boolit Master

Geez, and I thought was old. In the late 70's in CA, premium gas was almost $1 a gallon. $5 for my 69 BUG.

I used to load 4.0grs of W231 under a 158gr RNFP or whatever bullet for My Kids Cowboy Guns back in 1998-2005. Until I ran out. Since I had Titegroup, Bullseye, Clays and Unique, I didn't feel another Pistol Powder was warranted. But it did shoot great in Light .45ACP Target Loads.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master

4 grn Promo. Problem solved
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Lee 158gr. RNFP sized to .358 over 3-3.5gr. Bullseye with any small pistol primer. Never fails to bring a smile to my face.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

6.5 grains of HS-6 is my favorite 38 Special load used in a 357 Magnum rifle. I use standard pistol primers.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboy4evr View Post
    For years I used 2 loads . 5.0 grs of Unique and 3.5 grs of Bullseye with 158-160 gr swc's . They did all I could of asked for . Regards Paul
    Yepper and I still do.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    I can remember 19 cents per gallon, in Detroit. We still had Sinclair, Texaco and Pure gasoline.

Winelover

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast