Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Color migration

Boolit Grand Master

Color migration

I recently ordered a bunch of 2500+ since Alox has been discontinued. I store lube in ammo cans and w/ the large order I needed a can just for the 2500+. The old sticks were in a can along w/ Carnauba Red and Carnauba Blue.

This is what they looked like after about three years in the can.

Obviously this is no big deal. You can touch the bags and your hands and don’t become discolored. I know the baggies are porous. The labels that they use always become the color of the lube over time as well. I never got around to having White Label mix up a batch in a custom color. This might be the poor mans way to do it. May be able to have one stick half way completed before I pass away

Banner Sponsor

Oh Noooooooo. That is crazy.
    The only place that I have seen the color come into the label was if it was stored in a warm room for awhile.
    Maybe I need to look into a different kind of baggie??? Any suggestions?

If you need a custom color for 2500+, that is easy, I'll just take a pound block and add a few drops of dye, then pour it into pounds.
    I still have some Purple "Carnauba Red, 2700" left over that a guy from Kansas state ordered.

I hope this hasn't caused too much of a problem for you.

Boolit Grand Master

It’s no problem at all. I found it amusing which is why I posted. The cans are stored in an unconditioned garage. It can get hot in there but it rarely gets above 95°. Only times that will happen is if we have a week where peak temps are above 100°.

We talked about custom colors before. Life’s gotten in the way many times since then. At the rate I’m shooting one stick is enough for the rest of my life.

Hopefully you can still produce 2500+ w/ Alox being discontinued. It’s worked great w/ everything I shoot.

Boolit Master
    I wrap my “1x4” sticks of homemade Emmerts lube just like commercial SPG wraps their lube sticks.
    The SPG sticks are wrapped in a 11” square sheet of plastic similar to a grocery store shopping bag. When rolled up in the plastic sheet the stick is under 3 layers of plastic. I cut up grocery store bags to acquire the size of plastic sheet required.
    After wrapping several sticks they are stored in heavy weight freezer rated Zip-Loc baggies.
    Wrapped & bagged immediate use sticks are store in an air tight glass jar.
    Long term storage of extra sticks get stored in re-purposed cookie tin sealed up and put in the freezer.
    My homemade lube sticks are only about 2 ½ years old, the sticks I’ve opened have been fresh as the day it was wrapped and performed perfectly.
    Last edited by greenjoytj; 08-18-2020 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Grammar

Banned

You need to get rid of that contaminated lube........send it to me and I'll dispose of it properly!

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    .......... w/ Alox being discontinued.......
    Huh ?! First Iv'e heard of this. Can anyone educate me about this?

Banner Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by DAVIDMAGNUM View Post
    Huh ?! First Iv'e heard of this. Can anyone educate me about this?
    The Alox 350 that is used in the stick lubes has been discontinued. I still have about 2/3 of a 55 gal drum. That will keep me going for awhile. The manufacturer does not have a replacement product, but they are sending me samples of some similar products. So I'll make some very small batches of lube from them and get to testing.
    This does not effect the Liquid Alox, that uses Alox 606-55HF.

I hope this helps to clear things up.

Boolit Grand Master

Sorry about the confusion. I should have been more specific. Looks like Lars has enough left for about one or two more sticks