Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: New way to lubricate boolits.

New way to lubricate boolits.

Hello everyone, for a year now I have been trying to improve precision faster. I use an Argentine Mauser 1909 7.65x54 with boolit 314299, PC with transparent polyester and gascheck that I myself make from aluminum.
    Size with lee sizing die 314 and panlube.
    At speeds of approximately 1900 FPS I have achieved 1.5 MOA, shooting at 150 meters. At 2300 FPS I can't go below 2.5 MOA.
    I am trying to put the gaschecks before PC, so they do not come out when I make panlube.
    Today I had the idea to do a test and I have been quite satisfied.
    I melt my lubricant (simple lube) in a can and immerse the boolit, take it out and clean the gaschek. I let it cool and run it through the Lee size. Here I put the photos.
    As soon as the quarantine is over, I'm going to shoot them.

Boolit Master
    Perhaps the tiniest drop of glue on gas check would help hold it to the bullet base during the rest of your process.
    A small drop of some type of glue, maybe Cyanoacrylate (Crazy Glue). Apply the glue then twist push the bullet and check to together spread and level the glue evenly across the bullet base for maximum hold.
    When the glue has set to maximum strength then do the rest of the processing.
    A glue that flexible when dry might be best.

Are you doing both PC (powder coating) and pan lubing?
    I thought powder coating eliminates the need to wax grease lube the bullet.

Also the group size your getting might be the best a 100+ year old rifle construction is capable of.

Boolit Grand Master

Have you tried running the bullets through the sizer dry? Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I love dip lubing. It is way easier than pan lubing. To cut down on mess, I also like to take a fired case with an ID bigger than the bullet, ever so slightly flare it, and drill out the primer pocket so a rod can fit through. I then push the case over the bullet to trim the lube off, and use the rod to eject the bullet.

Hello
    I do both, PC and lube. Not only to avoid the lead, I think it improves the precision a little, and if there is some gascutting, theoretically it also helps.
    Actually, I'm playing to see if I can make my old rifle better until I reach 1MOA with Jwords.
    I already get 1-1.5 MOA without gaschek or lubrication, with 1800 FPS, now I am trying to increase speed without losing precision.
    I'm going to try to use the glue for the gascheck

Boolit Buddy
    FWIW, I too have problems with aluminum gaschecks. I make my own as well from dies that I also made. I will admit that I have not tried a lot of different thicknesses of AL, I just switched to .010 CU and all has been fine since. I thought about the glue thing as well, but just didn't like the idea of at least one more step in my manufacturing process. I think it's the "springy-ness" of the AL that keeps it from locking on the way CU does.

Chris