Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Bisley 44 Special 4 5/8 Inch

Boolit Buddy

Ruger Bisley 44 Special 4 5/8 Inch

Have one of these but due to the Chinese Virius have not been able to take it out and sight it in. I have loaded 245 Gr Hard Cast and 200 Gr Hard cast. I have loaded both with 7.5 Gr Unique and both with 7 Gr of Unique. I also have some 200 Gr Hard Cast with 5 Gr of Tite Group. Now my question is I have read of some concern that the front sight maybe a bit short with not enough adjustment in the rear sight to say hit the middle of the bull at 25 yards. Does any one have experience with this configuration of revolver and could they comment about my loads? I would not be adverse to just using 200 Gr Hard Cast.

Vendor Sponsor

I would suggest moving to a softer alloy, hard cast and hard lube are not the best choice for that gun. A softer alloy that you can scratch with your thumbnail and soft lube will no doubt be a better choice.

I used to use nothing but the hardest stuff I could find, and even when the revolver is dimensionally correct, I got leading. An alloy of 50/50+2% and soft lube leaves only some powder and lube residue in the bore and a lube star at the muzzle. I haven't cleaned a revolver bore in years.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master
    Art, I think you'll be all right. I don't have a Bisley but my flattop has adequate rear sight adjustment. Like DougGuy, I prefer a softer boolit, but don't think it will be problematic if your boolits are .430 or larger unless your cylinder throats are in considerable disagreement with the bore.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like you're at the opposite end of the spectrum from me. But still kind of applies inversely. When working up loads for my 4 1/2 " BH in 44 Special I learned about dwell time. I was shooting Speer 240 grains .430" SWC's, and started with a starter load of @ 6.1 grains of Unique. At 25 yards I was just barely hitting the top of the 8x11 target. I could not crank the rear sight down far enough. Leveled out with the Speer boolits at 6.8 grains of Unique. At that point I could adjust up or down enough for any variation, and it was quite accurate. I agree on the necessity of at least .430" in cast boolits with the Ruger BH I have.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    Art, I think you'll be all right. I don't have a Bisley but my flattop has adequate rear sight adjustment. Like DougGuy, I prefer a softer boolit, but don't think it will be problematic if your boolits are .430 or larger unless your cylinder throats are in considerable disagreement with the bore.
    I am using Laser Cast for both the 245 and 200 Gr. They measure 431. I put six cast in all the cylinders and drove them through with a wooden dowle. They all measured 431.5 not the best way to measure but that is all I had. Used a digital caliper to measure. I am leaning towards the 200 gr. flat point and 7 Gr of Unique. Hoping it works out. Thanks for the info on yours.

Have yet to try hand loads in mine but loaded up about 100 today. I am going to try the Skeeter load and also drop down to 6.5 grains of Unique as well. I hope it has enough pressure to get a good seal. So far I only ran 1/2 a box of cowboy loads through mine but at 25 yards it has plenty of adjustment left in the sights.

Boolit Master
    I did have to put a taller front sight on mine , but go shoot yours it's probably ok.

I have a 5.5" Bisley, GP100 3" & a GP100 5" in .44 spec.
    My alloy is 50/50+2 and I size to .431.
    I load the Accurate 43-210A with 5.0 WST, 4.7 Red Dot & 5.0 Red Dot. I also load some H&G #45 with 6.0 & 6.5 of Unique'

My favorite load is the 5.0 of WST with the Accurate 43-210A. It shoots best in all 3 guns. 5.5 of WST also shoots well, but I can't tell any difference with the extra .5 grains.

Boolit Buddy
    I did not mention that mine is a blue steel one. Not very easy to put on a taller front sight.

Vendor Sponsor

Try pushing one of your boolits through the bore, then see if it will go into the cylinder throats from the front without force. If it does, you are probably good, if it has to be forced then your cylinder is pretty much a multi port sizing die and would benefit from throats being honed to .4315"

While you are doing this, see if the boolit you push through the bore gets tighter at the barrel/frame juncture. If it does you may have a bit of thread choke, but the Flattops are much less affected by this than earlier full size guns.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Banned

I shoot 16 grains of 2400 and Elmer's bullet out of mine.

Boolit Master
    On a whim I actually bought a box of factory made HSM Cowboy Action Ammunition 44 Special 240 Grain Hard Cast Lead Semi-Wadcutters. Best I could tell they miked out at below .430 and were not accurate at all in my Ruger BH. Your 6.5 grain Unique loads should hit pretty much to point of aim; although with a 200 grain swc may still hit a little low. Just from my experience solely with 240 grain swc's. Also, I noted that the Oregon Trail website indicated they were casting .431 240 grain swc's, to be used in Ruger BH's. The implication was that the Ruger BH was bored a tad loose.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Art in Colorado View Post
    I did not mention that mine is a blue steel one. Not very easy to put on a taller front sight.
    It would be nice if they would use the same style sight on the blued ones they do on the stainless .
    Hopefully yours won't need to be changed, I have heard more comments that the stock sights worked than not.
    I also had to put a taller blade in the rear sight on my 45 flat top convertible . Some of us just know how to pickum
    The 44 and 45 are two my favorite SA six guns the 44 Bisley is # 1 for me.

Boolit Master
    I have a stainless one and had to put on the taller blade that Midway sells. FWIW, that particular blade was too tall, but I knew it would be. My intention was to order another style blade anyway, and I got my wish so to speak.

Part of the reason I have all stainless RBH's is so I can change the blades to a particular style but the blued versions are a lot more trouble in this regard.

Hope it works out that you won't need one.

Quote Originally Posted by Art in Colorado View Post
    Have one of these but due to the Chinese Virius have not been able to take it out and sight it in. I have loaded 245 Gr Hard Cast and 200 Gr Hard cast. I have loaded both with 7.5 Gr Unique and both with 7 Gr of Unique. I also have some 200 Gr Hard Cast with 5 Gr of Tite Group. Now my question is I have read of some concern that the front sight maybe a bit short with not enough adjustment in the rear sight to say hit the middle of the bull at 25 yards. Does any one have experience with this configuration of revolver and could they comment about my loads? I would not be adverse to just using 200 Gr Hard Cast.
    My son bought one of the same guns and he had to send his back to Ruger and have another from sight out in it. No problems and the turn around time is quick.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    My son bought one of the same guns and he had to send his back to Ruger and have another from sight out in it. No problems and the turn around time is quick.
    That is the fix for a new gun /\
    Just take your time and work up the loads you like to be sure it's going to need a sight change , out of 10 or 15 black hawks I have had I have only needed to change the sights on 2.

That is true and wee hit it first time out with the old standby, 7grs of Unique and a 429421 w/beeswax lube. 7.5 grs is a close second but the sight just wouldn't allow him th get down where a 6 o'clock hold would so foo it went and I even got a call from Rugers CEO asking how it was shooting! Not many(any) gun companies will take the time do do that!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

I have one of these too! great gun! 6.0 gr of W231 Keith boolits.

The second one is a SBH Bisley that got it's barrel chopped off.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

That SBH Bisley is a lot more comfortable to shoot without the square trigger guard for me. My middle finger would be numb from a range session with it. Those are good looking stocks on those two Randy

That's the ones they came with.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast