RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Repackbox

Thread: Chamber reamers from Europe, anybody bought one?

Boolit Man

Chamber reamers from Europe, anybody bought one?

I have a 'once only' job barreling an 8x57, and after pricing a reamer rental with shipping, it appears I'll probably only be out another 15 or 20 bucks to buy one on Ebay. Any of you fellows tried any of these reamers, Ukraine or ZPG?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I always just rented from Pacific Tool. For a one time use, I can't see buying one.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    white rock tool and die, 6400 north brighton ave, kansas city mo 64119 Last I knew the guy didn't have internet. He will rent you a die cheaper than anybody. Send him a letter.

Quote Originally Posted by flounderman View Post
    white rock tool and die, 6400 north brighton ave, kansas city mo 64119 Last I knew the guy didn't have internet. He will rent you a die cheaper than anybody. Send him a letter.
    I tried him once and many times since. Good company to deal with!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Ukraine does a lot of gunsmithing these days.

Boolit Bub
    I bought and used a 7.2x51 reamer from ZPV. I was high quality and at least twice as sharp as the rented reamers I've used in the past. I sure wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

Boolit Man
    Thanks Green, Looking at the number they have sold on Ebay, somebody must like them. I'm going to order up. I'll get back to you guys after I use it once.
    I have dealt a lot with PT&G, arguably the best tools I have used, including rentals, but through them a regular rental will currently run around 70 bucks. I will check into White Rock, I have used them before, years ago, didn't know they were still in business. Thanks fellas.

Boolit Master
    I have one of the ZPV 8x57 ones that I bought last year. Its a nice reamer, floating pilot, cut well. I cut one chamber with it thinking along the same lines as you.

If you are interested PM me, and maybe we can work something out.

Boolit Mold
    Bought one from the Ukraine. Never got it. But I got my money back.

Boolit Grand Master

Rented a 4 or 5 of times. Never again. Once the reamers was in poor shape. Also had a issue with actually delivery date verse claimed delivered date and extra charges. Normally is straight out purchase to keep but on some of the very low usage I have found purchasing either new or on eBay and reselling after using on eBay is cheaper and less aggravation than renting.

No comment on the Ukraine or ZPG reamers since I have not tried them.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Vendor Sponsor

Here is current (as of Feb 2021) contact information for White Rock Tool & Die. Keith has moved from Kansas to Texas, he is still in the rental business although most of his are rifle reamers:

Keith Rice
    115 Resaca Retreat Dr.
    Los Fresnos TX 78566-4465

816-454-0478

VERY reasonable guy and very affordable pricing, rentals are for 30 days when they leave his shop via first class usps, you pay for the reamer rental, example $24, +$5 shipping to you, and the deposit is half the rental fee so $12. He takes check or money order, and probably cash, does not use the internet at all, no CC no Paypal, no COD.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I just this weekend using a rented reamer to punch out a 30-40 Krag chamber that was in atrocious shape to AI. I’m extremely happy with the outcome of my project but the process of renting the reamer was almost unforgivable. Completely unacceptable customer service. Shipping was a joke. Then I received a normal 30-40 reamer with an AI invoice so that is plain and simple QC failure. Anyway, 2 1/2 months after my initial order I finally received my reamer 2 days ago. Oh, and neither of the included pilots fit a standard WW2 Springfield barrel. Oh, also part of the rental is they send the reamer in a shipping container with a pre paid return label. Mine showed up in a bubble envelope in a ziploc bag with no paperwork I literally don’t even have an address to send it back to.

If you are even on the fence about it, buy one and then resell it you will be way ahead!!!

I’m not going to throw the company under the bus by naming them, but I can say that no one here has posted about the people I rented from.
    Airplanes and guns should always be made out of metal.

Boolit Bub
    It is nice to know Keith Rice is still in business. His old reamer list didn't have a phone number on it. labop

Boolit Man
    I just buy new and keep the darn things. Never know when I will have another use for it. Now I am tooling up one of the lathes with a turret that holds 6 tools, getting set up to make loading dies. I have several sets of reamers for the odd big bores (400 H&H, 404 Jeffery, 505 Jeffery, 450 Ackley, 450 Dakota, 470 Capstick, 458 Lott, 458 Watts and similar) and there is a small demand for dies, but with the current "out of stock, no back order" statements (Especially on the odd specials) on the sellers sites, I may be able to help out a few folks.

About 120 reamers in the big Kennedy Chest, I need to count them!

Pilot bushings on the top shelf.

I would not rent a reamer for the above mentioned reasons, plus you do not know what you are getting. Many of mine are specials to my requirements. And my biggest concern is just what condition the rentals are in, we all know the folks that rent them do not use a good muzzle flush pumped coolant system.

Mine below, I have since changed to a complete oil lube/coolant as recommended by PTG instead of the water soluble oil mix shown, although I did mix it very heavy.

Some dies I have made in the past:

400 H&H

408 Chey Tac