RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: best forums out there.

Banned

best forums out there.

Just wanted to offer some feedback on the expertise and atmosphere of the forum. beien posting since the very earliest gun forums in the 90's. Back then it was only the hardcore enthusiats and seekers of knowledge meeting up for the first time, the 'average guy or regular gunowner' wasnt due to turn up for another 4-5 years or so. Its sort of like a frontier atmosphere before the townies all turn up Some of the big forums out there these days, the townies now include so many armchair experts, 'blog readers' and COD playing kids the threads are 50% nonsensical rubbish.They are too numerous to list and unfortunately they are often the threads that come up first in google searches(god forbid new hunters and shooters take everything they first read for granted) .

There are a few forums though for whatever reason developed the big memberships without losing the quality of posting. Accurate reloading is one(if you can ignore their political forum), particularly on the subjects of wildcats and big game rifles. Rimfire central is another. Paco Kellys is another one in the smaller membserhip category. No doubt there are others and this site is certainly one as well.

Glad to see the upgrade worked for you guys. There were quite a few posts out there on other forums about 'how do I get word to the mods to get back on cast boolits" Speaks volumes
    Last edited by mickbr; 06-29-2020 at 09:35 AM.

Boolit Mold
    Sniper's Hide is one of the best if long range shooting is your cup o' tea.
    Bret Lawson
    "When you come to the fork in the road, take it."- Yogi Berra

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I remember when we were amazed when this forum reached 1000 members. We figures, no way will it go past 1500. We were wrong!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Cast Boolits Owner

There are some amazing forums out there as well as some questionable. I just happy to have members who share as much as they learn.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Quote Originally Posted by mickbr View Post
    There are a few forums though for whatever reason developed the big memberships without losing the quality of posting.
    That's hard to do.
    The no-nonsense rules, and vigorous enforcement of them is a large part of what makes this place what it is.

I've been on various forums, even supported and monitored one since the mid-late 90's.
    Without features like the 'ignore list' and enforcing strict conduct rules, they all fade away their as membership goes up.

When the cretins come in who have no other contribution except insults, bitterness, and criticism-
    the people you actually want to talk to & visit with wander off, and usually don't come back.

It works like pouring dirty water into a bucket of clean water:
    Before long, all you have is a bucket of dirty water.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 06-29-2020 at 09:14 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I am a forum moderator here in Argentina.
    Quality posts are highly appreciated.
    Keyboard shooters, weekend rambo, and pot tarzan are frequent, and we take care of showing you the door.
    I think the forums have decreased their amount of traffic since other platforms have appeared. When I entered castboolits I was surprised by the number of daily posts that are here.
    I have taken my first steps in shooting, reload and now cast, guided by good people, wanting to teach.
    So I owe a lot to the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by nueces5 View Post
    So I owe a lot to the forums.
    Me too. The folks here have helped me avoid several pitfalls, and shortened my research time.
    They want to help and promote the hobby/sport.

Being someone who can listen to and take advice-- I don't have to wizz on that electric fence to learn for myself--
    I am forever grateful to several of the members here.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

I've been on a bunch over the years.

Best for no nonsense and politeness is The High Road. Very tightly moderated. Maybe a bit too much as saying something as obvious as who wins the election will determine the availability of ammo is deemed political talk and frowned upon.

Worst I've seen is AR15.com. Second worst is Glocktalk.com. Northwest Firearms is decent.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

This one is the the best blend of old timey knowledge and mostly friendly folks. Just don't say you think Glocks are better than 1911s and that you drive an import. Kind of like walking into a Moose lodge with your ball cap on backwards...
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Grand Master
    I've been on many forums.
    Not only firearms related.
    Forums are a reflection of the personality of the owner.
    Some are doing it for the money, some just to be in charge of something, some that are way to lax, some way to strict.
    Then there are the posters.
    There are many lurkers out there.
    Sick little minded outcast, that find joy is causing problems.
    Also the bullies. Just like in school. They want you to do and think just as they do.
    Many forums have only people like these on it. Outsiders comments are attacked, like wolves to the slaughter.
    So with any forum, it's not so much the content, it's the members that make it good or bad.
    What's the best forum out there, it all depends on how much freedom you have, and how good the people there.
    Just like in towns and cities.

I'm on a couple other forums that I never talk on. Blade forums being the most used.

Been thinking of joining Ruger.org forum cause I'm a Ruger nut.

Boolit Grand Master

There are a couple of specific forums I usually use. Over the years I have seen a number of them come and go, but for some reason? I always make it a point to check this one...
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

If you avoid the free for all politics, there are a few good ones, this being near the top. I also like Marlinowners, the Henry Forum, Levergun Scoundrels and Graybeard. The Campfire gets a little rough, but some good people and information there also. Sad that some people type things online that they would never have the courage to say face to face.

I am here to talk about my passion for guns and reloading, not politics. Although I believe much like many here and talk about it in person sometimes, I dont want to talk about it all the day long like some. I appreciate the politics being mostly civil and separated in the pit here.

Boolit Master
    The best forums that I've found are as follows

Cast Boolits - by far the best for bullet casting knowledge, one of the best if not the best for general reloading knowledge too. It's also one of the few forums where experimenting with new, sometimes strange techniques is highly encouraged and supported by the members. The marketplace the best I've seen for reloading equipment.

Snipers Hide - Is probably the best place if you're into long range shooting.

Gunboards - Has the best and most active marketplace for C&R guns and accessories period. You could also probably fill a library or two with the amount of historical and technical knowledge of all things C&R that's posted on that forum.

Texas Gun Talk - I just really like the people there. It's a small, kind of intimate sort of community. It's a great place to hang up your hat and BS with the guys after a long day.

Not lookin to hijack and didn’t know where to ask, but what happened to the Brass Trading site ? All I get is jibberish when I go there. Made some good trades and met some good people there.

CEO/CFO GunLoads Gunload Master's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Not lookin to hijack and didn’t know where to ask, but what happened to the Brass Trading site ? All I get is jibberish when I go there. Made some good trades and met some good people there.
    Try it now and let me know.
    http://GunLoads.com

Become a Supporting Member by joining TEAM BOOLITS!