Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: " 00 " buck formula

Boolit Mold

Post " 00 " buck formula

I am new to this reloading so i figured it was best to ask for help. I have new cheddite 12ga 2 3/4. Hulls mg42 12ga wads. 8mm steel bearings (equivelent to 00 buck in size) the weight of each is .07411 12 fit the wad just peaking over the top of the wad stacked in 2 in each row if i use 12 the weight is .88932 oz. If i use 10 the weight is .74110oz. I plan to use alliant blue dot. Or hogdon hs-6. I also have a lil alliant pro reach. I would like to see 1400 -1500 fps. Can anyone help with the grains of powder for these powders listed. Also i will be crimping. I got the lee load all 2 . Next question the pellets past the top of wad a lil. Is that ok or should i only do 10 pellets. Once i have the powder grains formulas i will be able to see for sure about the 12. As i think if its to much the pellets will bulge the hull

Boolit Master
    Do you have a reloading manual? Steel bearings!? You got alot going on in that post buddy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    No reload manual i have searched online load manuals can't find any matches for my desired load thats why i decided to ask people that have the experience for help

Get the Lyman shotshell reload manual it will have about steel shot and then go from there. Also it have non lead data beside lead data.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    I read that the wad was recommended for use with no larger than # 3 steal .

Boolit Mold
    Thank you i will order one

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    I read that the wad was recommended for use with no larger than # 3 steal .
    I had not heard that do you recall why you don't use a wad for bigger than #3. For steel shot. But they do use a wad for lead in 00 shot. My theory was the wad protects the barrel and keeps the balls in a tighter group

Boolit Grand Master

This is a bad idea all around. The MG42 is a very light duty steel shot wad. I've never seen where #3 was the recomended maximum, but most likely this wad is best used with a mylar wrap.

Steel larger than T is not recommended in a 12 gauge, as it can bridge and cause harm to the barrel. 00 buck size steel ball bearings has a good chance of ruining the barrel.

You won't be able to get 12 in, and a ball bearing not in a wad is a guaranteed way to score the barrel.

Bluedot and Pro reach are very poor choices for such a light payload.

Even if you do not care about your gun at all, ball bearings love to bounce. Any tree, rock, target stand, or if you are foolish enough to try, steel could come back at you.

Don't do this.

Boolit Master
    I’d be a little hesitant to use steel bearings that were the size of 00 buck even if the guns cylinder .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

No, I agree this is not a good Idea. If it was, we all would have done it, and since we haven't, it must not be a good idea.

I haven't even loaded any Steel Shot and pretty much refuse to do so as my guns would ruined by shooting it.

5/16 steel balls are out of the question.

Randy.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    I'd suggest staying with lead buckshot , and start out in the 12-1300 range . But you are well on your way .
    Definitely get the Lyman Shot shell reloading manual !

Boolit Master
    steel bearings are much too hard to be loading in a shotgun shell if you care at all about your gun and maybe your safety, I sure would not do it.
    I came across a 5 gallon bucket of bb's and looked into using them in shot shells and ended up getting an education from some folks who knew a whole lot more than I did. turns out they are much too hard for shot shells also.
    Balistic products has some great reloading guides for everything related to shotshell reloading
    Last edited by farmbif; 06-29-2020 at 07:43 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Steel buckshot will bulge the barrel somewhere steel shot is NOT hard bearing material and steel shot uses special thick soft wads. Here we have a special code for that YOYO Your on your own.

Boolit Mold
    Ok guys i see you think i am a crackpot so watch this link hope it works its on you tube. https://youtu.be/pwFB9xVugdU
    Also i have ordered the. Status of steel manual from ballistic products

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Papabearsluv View Post
    Ok guys i see you think i am a crackpot so watch this link hope it works its on you tube. https://youtu.be/pwFB9xVugdU
    I've watched most of bubbarountree. He has some good ideas, and some not so good ideas. This is one of his less than stellar ideas. Watch the backstop when they shoot. Notice everything jumping around after the shot? That's not a good thing.

I don't think anyone here thinks you are a crackpot, you asked about a load and were told by a few very knowledgeable gentlemen that it is not a good idea for a whole slew of reasons. Take that to the bank and be thankful you didn't find out the hard way....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papabearsluv View Post
    The arms manufacturers tell you don’t shoot steel bird shot in fixed choke guns of modified or tighter I believe . And I think it’s a pretty reasonable given the larger the pellets the easier it is for them to bridge and split burst rupture or bulge a barrel . Now with that being said I know a couple older guys in Mississippi that have been hunting ducks for longer than they’d care to admit . And they use nice old Browning Belgium made A-5’s with full choke barrels . It was also pretty common knowledge that Brownings full choke was generally tighter then the other manufacturers full choke and the guys I know say they’ve been shooting steel in them since steel became the law . Now granted you may be able to shoot thousands without bulging etc the barrel . But it only takes one for a disaster !

Boolit Master
    Personally if I wanted something harder than regular lead 00 I’d get some of the Speer copper plated 00 if they still make it or some of the nickel plated that BPI sells . Just an opinion!

Howdy and welcome to the forum. I can't help with your query. But what I can suggest is drop the YouTube reloading lessons and read about it in several reloading manuals. The Lyman shotshell handbook 5th edition explains a lot of the reasons shotshells are constructed the way they are.

Boolit Master

Your 12 pellets of steel will only weigh approximately 72% of the lead equivalent. With lead OO at about 1 1/2 oz, 12 steel balls will weigh just over 1 oz. So figure accordingly. Even with lead buckshot in a wad it will blow out the base of the wad without cushioning. The thick steel shot wads are tapered so unlikely to get 6 stacks of 2. Additionally, steel loses energy quicker than lead so penetration at distance will be poor. Certainly what you suggest is doable at a high velocity with appropriate powder and primer but your barrel will surely suffer as will anything you shoot. I contend that more ducks are lost to the ineffectiveness of steel shot than lead contamination ever produced.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast