WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication

Thread: 2 deminsional paper patch bullets

Boolit Mold

2 deminsional paper patch bullets

My CPA 45/70 won't shoot slicks so I've been shooting GG. Must admit I'm not a fan. So I'm looking for information on 2 deminsional paper patch bullets. My bore is a .4566 and .448 PP bullet is snug . I'm not sure of the free bore yet but I assume it's CPA standard chamber. Would my mix be for a GG 20/1 or PP 16/1. Any information would be great.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    20-1 works ok with a more traditional nose shape, ie. the original postel and creedmoor nose. 16-1 works good with those old styles and the money bullet and elliptical noses that are so popular today.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    Thunder1964,
    "Two Dimensional"
    Sounds like you are asking for Two Diameter/Dual diameter Paper Patched bullets.
    There are a number of people who are using them in GG chambers- just the ticket
    for them: Base band diameter at "patch to Fire Formed case neck I.D. and the "main body"
    is at "patch to bore ride" diameter.
    Below is one example that I shoot in my GG chambered 40-65. Group shot at 100yds.
    Accurate and stabile out to 1000yds.
    There are a couple of these two diameter bullets for 45 cal listed in the Buffalo Arms catalog.
    beltfed/arnie
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	371DDEPP100ydgroup1535.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	264209

I use a patch shaped for a tapered boolit. I have one patch for a two-diameter boolit - it's pretty much the same as for the tapered boolit.

Here is a tapered boolit with a curved patch

Patched two-diameter. I wanted to show the join but can't seem to find the right photo

I found that with the right curve of the patch, minor alignment errors can be corrected during the twisting on of the patch. These are dry wrapped so the patch can be tightened up without tearing. The patch doesn't align well over the g/c rebate though. I could make an adjustment to the patch shape since they are drawn on cad and printed out.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    303 guy,I see your issue with patching a GG bullet with gas check shank.
    Been there, do that for my 358 Win hunting rifle. I paper patch Lyman 358318 ,250 grain gas check bullets.
    but, those I do with thick paper and damp. Works just fine with parallelogram patches and do the tail twist on them
    My load is hunting accurate, clocks 2350fps, kills deer real well. One shot one kill.

No problem with dry patching the DDEPP two diameter "slick" bullets for my 38 and 40 cal BPCRs
    with a "standard" Parallelogram patch. There is enough give
    to work fine. There is only about 0.008" difference in the two diameters,
    so that is only 0.004 per side.
    beltfed/arnie

Thanks, beltfed. I'll give that a try. I actually just used an existing patch on the two-diameter. I have only fired those at low velocity into a catch tube. I was trying them for throat and bore fit and they go down the bore well supported on the bore ride section.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''