WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox

Thread: Ruger M77 Mark II in .257 Roberts??

Ruger M77 Mark II in .257 Roberts??

I have a chance to buy a real nice Ruger M77 Mark II in .257 Roberts but does anyone know if this gun was ever made in this caliber? I cant seem to find anything on one factory chambered in the Roberts round.
    ** Please bear with me for a day or two if I dont reply quickly.**
    Mike B.
    Gun Control= Being able to hit your target.

Boolit Grand Master

I am pretty certain that the Bob was chambered in the original tang
    safety R77s. I think they kept the .257 chambering as long as they
    made the Mk II. The Hawkeye is listed in the Bob, so why expect that
    the MkII was not?

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Banned

one of those things you had to ask for and wait a couple of weeks to get,much like the 7 mauser. which is no longer being offered.

In Remebrance

I'd grab it in a heartbeat. Excellent cartridge.

Friend of mine still kicking himself for letting his go.

Boolit Buddy
    I have an original, so I offer this cautionary note: the throat in mine is long, so, it doesn't like bullets lighter than 100 gr. I don't consider it to be a problem, myself.
    Bob K

I was curious because this one has been rebarreled with a Douglas barrel and topped with a Nichols Grand Slam 2.5-10x46 scope and didnt know if it was a factory round of its a custom for this model. I already have a Roberts but its an old boat paddle compared to this one. Im thinking of turning this one into my exclusive CBLR rifle for punching paper. By the looks of it, It will have to be a single shot because of the chamber length vs the magazine oal and I will know for sure after I get it and do a chamber casting.
    Last edited by mikenbarb; 11-29-2008 at 12:32 PM.
    Mike B.

I have a like new tang safety model in 257 Roberts (long action) and have been working up some loads over the past few weeks. I had given this rifle to my son-in-law in the late 70's and it had been stored since then. I borrowed it back for some hunts I have coming up.
    The long throat is not much of a problem on the long actions for 100 gr and 117 gr bullets. Just set the bullet ogive just off the leades...there is plenty of room in the box.
    Regards, James
    Dixie Slugs (dixieslugs.com)-Home of the Dixie Terminator

Im going to lightly crimp them so I can run pretty much any length I want to in it but going to try without a crimp also to see what gives me better accuracy.
    Mike B.

Boolit Buddy
    i have a long action tang safety in 257 rob according number made in 80
    whit jacketed bullet no accuracy the worst were with 120 gr sierra 3, 4 inch at 100m.
    i bed with and less pressure in forearm ,it's better less , remove the ejector
    i 'am more lucky with cast 25-100 fn rcbs ,now 1,1,5 at same distance.
    regards
    ANDRE

As I posted, I am also working with an early tang-safety 257 Roberts. My first loads with Sierra 117's were nothing indeed! I have loaded some Nosler 100 gr BT, but have not treid them yet.
    What do you fellows thenk is causing the large groups in these early tang-safety .257 Roberts?
    Regards, James
    Dixie Slugs (dixieslugs.com)-Home of the Dixie Terminator

I have always heard that the early 77s had lowest-bidder barrels, and the accuracy picked up after Ruger started making their own. If it won't shoot with 45 grains of IMR-4350 and any decent 100 grainer, you may have trouble getting it to shoot.

Boolit Grand Master
    Dixie Slugs:

I have an early model Ruger Model 77 w/ tang safety in 257 Roberts.

Mine is so old that it is drilled and tapped on the top of the receiver.

When I purchased mine, and took it to the range to shoot it, I was SICK.

When I shot 100 grain and 120 gr. bullets in the rifle with " reported accuracy loads ", it shot 1.5 and 2.0 " groups at 100 yards.

I was just about to sell the rifle in frustration when It struck me that I should check the twist in the barrel. Mine was 1 - 14.

No wonder it wouldn't shoot 100 gr and 120 gr. bullets very well, to do that it would have had to have a 1 -10 twist barrel.

I loaded some 25 cal. 75 gr. , Hornady V-Max bullets with some IMR 4064.

1/2 inch groups all day long for 5 shots at 100 yards.

It is the most accurate .25 caliber that I've ever fired.

Ben

Boolit Buddy

I think I'd still sell it.

To enjoy accuracy only with 75 gr. bullets is a significant liability in this cartridge.
    The 100 gr. bullet seems to be the norm for this chambering. I have a Shilen barrel with 1-10 twist on a Mauser action and the accuracy is outstanding with 100 grainers and very decent with 120's. I have not tried lighter bullets than 100's.

Man I love the bob
    great deer bullet

Boolit Buddy
    Just read this thread, have to second Ben. Check the twist first. Then check and see if someone has done a "homeade" float job. Rugers are made with a considerable amount of upward pressure on the barrel. If they get floated without bedding correctly they will shoot all over. If it is a 14" 75s and 87s are about it with jacketed unless you really drive a 100 and see if it works. Now that beig said, mine is a left handed savage 110c rebarrelled w 1-10 twist, it likes the sierra 75s , any flat base 100s and the hornady 120 hp (flat base) 46.5 RL22 seated out to touch. It does NOT like any boattail. Anyone else find that too?

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Boattails require an exquisite barrel crown, and an exquisite bullet balance. If a gun did indeed shoot a boattail bullet in a satisfactory manner, the odds are about 100 percent in favor of that gun shooting other projectiles with similar styles and balances, with or without a boattail. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master
    I had a bob in the Mark II, I ran 900 rounds down through it with three different bedding jobs, plus a new trigger and fire lapping too. To cut to the chase I love the cartridge along with the 7x57, with that said this rifle was a heartbreaker, it's gone and a new 25-06 that shoots 1/2"moa is in it's place. Ruger doesn't know how to chamber a 257, this rifle had a long magazine and the shortest throat you ever saw, short enough so with a proper fitting bullet in the cartridge a short action rifle would have easily worked. I do like the cartridge, but not enough to buy another Ruger and have to rebuild it. If I wanted a bob, I'd go buy a Kimber. I know Kimber has it's detractors here, but I've had 4 Kimber rifles and all shot great out of the box and had excellent trigger pulls. Kimber does now chamber the bob in the model 84, I have one in a 7mm-08 and the thing weighs only 6 pounds scoped and shoots wonderful.
    By the way here's what the Ruger did with all loads (believe me guys there were at least 10 powders and 6 bullets tried in this lemon I really wanted it to shoot) I could never get a group smaller than 2.5" with it, with the second round always a flier and the third pretty good and the fourth a flier and so on and so on, and this was after rebedding.
    I guess my advice would be to buy the rifle expecting to put a barrel on it, then if you don't have too it'll be a bonus.