RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Eddystone Model of 1917???

Eddystone Model of 1917???

I have a chance to pick up a real nice rife and the only info on it is Eddystone, Model of 1917 so im assuming its a copy of a 1917 Enfield. It also has the standard military markings including the flaming bomb among others. Its chambered for 8X57 and I only see Enfields in 30-06. Does this gun ring a bell with anyone?
    And any idea how much its worth in 90% condition with original sights and hardware. Bore is mint with real strong rifling.
    ** Please bear with me for a day or two if I dont reply quickly.**
    Mike B.
    Gun Control= Being able to hit your target.

Boolit Grand Master

I've had a couple. It isn't a copy, it is a 1917 done at the Eddystone arsenal. If it is in 8x57 it has been reworked so the value is degaded considerably but there are still quite a few around so they aren't a high value rifle. Should make a good hunting rifle if it still shoots good. Should be worth something like $200 give or take.
    Aim small, miss small!

In the 50-60's the model 1917 was turned into a lot of calibers. The rifle was cheap and very strong. Is the rifle still in military wood?
    Look on the left side of the receiver for what caliber it is and some Belgium proof mark, as they made a ton of 8x57 and 308 Nora Mag's up.

Cast the camber and have fun with the old girl.

Its definatly an 8x57 because its stamped in the original barrel. Its got a regular stock and beavertail forearm plus the original wood. It hasnt been altered except a wood change but nothing was "sporterized" in the process luckily. Its a real nice rifle thats in great shape and im going to buy it I think. The oldtimer wants 200 for it with both sets of wood. I will have to look at the proof marks again because its got alot of them along with military markings. The 8x57 is stamped on the right side of barrel under a flaming bomb. I think I found a new CB gun to play around with at the range. Im sure it will shoot accurate because its got a real strong rifling and everything is nice and tight. Whats the deal with the built in ladder sight and is there a scope mount available for this setup?
    Last edited by mikenbarb; 01-04-2009 at 09:16 PM.
    Mike B.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mikenbarb View Post
    ... The 8x57 is stamped on the right side of barrel under a flaming bomb. ....
    Mike,
    I would slug the barrel and make sure that it has actually been rebored to .323.
    The U.S. Ordnance mark would never be found on an 8mm barrel.
    Just a thought....

Jack

I thought that was weird also and never saw a bomb on a barrel except on my military Model 11 12 gauge. Im thinking it may possibly be a 8X57J and will check furthur tommorow and try to get a couple pics posted on it. Theres definatly a flaming bomb on the barrel by the reciever with 8X57 stamped under it.
    Mike B.

Boolit Grand Master
    A simple " indicator " of the correct caliber designation is to put a .30 cal bullet in your pocket along with an 8 mm .323 bullet.

When you go back to look at the rifle, test the 2 bullets for fit in the end of the muzzle .

If the bore is a true 8 mm bore, the 30 cal. bullet is going to be a pretty sloppy fit.

Ben

Boolit Buddy
    As far as I know, there is no base for a scope that will work unless the "ears" (that are part of the receiver) are ground off. Remington had a sporter version of this gun (Model 30, I think?) and both redfield and weaver bases for that configuration are available. I have one in the shop now that was contoured like a Win Mod 70 (?why?) building an 8mm rem mag.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mikenbarb View Post
    ...Whats the deal with the built in ladder sight and is there a scope mount available for this setup?
    Mike,
    Brownells sells a no-drill scope mount for the 1917 Enfield:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/sto...0SCOPE%20MOUNT

Jack

Boolit Master
    Does the barrel actually say 8 X 57 or does it say 8mm or 8mm/06? I can see a rebore and rechamber to 8/06 if the original bore was shot. You might check to see if you can chamber a dummy 30/06 cartridge. If it was re-done in 8X57 the chamber would have to be sleeved or the barrel set back to compensate for the shorter cartridge. Comparison to a known 30/06 M1917 would show the shortened barrel shank. I'm not aware of any 8 X 57 factory produced M1917 rifles but, possible I suppose. The proof mark doesn't ring right for the chambering/rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Winchester 1917 that, unfortunately, was sporterized decades before I got it; sight ears milled off, stock re-worked (but a nice job). Still in '06 and a lot of fun, as is. I would guess yours was rechambered due to the original bore probably being in rough shape. I think I remember reading some place that the threads on the barrels are squared, this combines with the method of installing them so that the receiver ring can easily be cracked while trying to remove the barrel. Supposedly, the barrel needs to be turned down with a lathe immediately ahead of the receiver ring to reduce the amount of torque needed to get the barrel out. (You can salvage the barrel or the receiver, but not both.) I've given some thought to getting mine rechambered/rebarreled to something bigger, but I really don't have a need for it and there is no one around here I would trust to do it regardless.

You will also find that you can load the magazine with 6 cartridges of .30-06 body diameter, which includes the 8x57 or 8mm-06. The action is much bigger than it needs to be for the .30-06; in fact, A-Square builds their custom rifles on these actions (and they have some BIG proprietary cartridges), so they are plenty strong. Enjoy.