Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision

Thread: 1886 Loading Gate

1886 Loading Gate

I have a Chiappa 1886 Winchester Takedown that is an awesome rifle except for one thing, yup, it is very difficult to load. Curious if anyone has any info on how to lighten the gate on these guns? Help!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ninety Caliber; 06-28-2020 at 11:18 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninety Caliber View Post
    I have a Chiappa 1886 Winchester Takedown that is an awesome rifle except for one thing, yup, it is very difficult to load. Curious if anyone has any info on how to lighten the gate on these guns? Help!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I have an 86 chiappa solid frame - had some issues, but feed through the loading gate was sweet from the start.
    (using the LEE 405 HB with a little flatter nose / wider meplat)
    Check that you dont have some misalignment through the port into the magazine tube - maybe the boolit nose hanging up there?
    more info might help - is it only the first round? all of em? only the last round? what stage of the loading cycle is it sticking? have you had the gun apart at all? is the loading gate interfering on something else? maybe just need gunk cleaning out of it and some oil? could be a lot of small things causing this...................

If the gate is really stiff you can do a few things 1 the spring can be annield bent then re tempered 2this requires a micrometer stone the spring down a few thousands making sure it stays the same thickness overall can't have one spot thinner then the rest or it will break at that point.
    I would consider these steps advanced and if you are not good with metals then live with what you have or find a smith

If its not the spring thats a diffrent matter all together
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both