Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Chicken/Rib Marinade

Boolit Grand Master

Chicken/Rib Marinade

I ran across this one after much searching online one afternoon looking for a Rib Marinade. I made a few changes that I'll put in after the original.

1/4 C Olive Oil
    1/4 C Worcestershire Sauce
    1 1/4 C Soy Sauce
    2 TBS Balsamic vinegar
    1 TBS Dijon Mustard
    4 Cloves Garlic

That's it. I didn't have Balsamic Vinegar or Dijon mustard so tried it with both white and cider vinegar and regular mustard, it seemed fine. I also added some sweetner to it. First time some maple syrup along with regular mustard, white vinegar on ribs and it was great. Second time for chicken I used molasses, cider vinegar and a little Old Bay Seasoning for spice. Also great. Leaving out the Old Bay and using either brown or horseradish mustard would be interesting. I also let it sit for a few hours turning occasionally. One other thing. I used garlic powder not the cloves and since I love garlic just dumped in what looked good to me.

Both really made the meat tender. I suspect the vinegar helped break down the meat fibers while the olive oil moistened it up. Cooked over low-med on the grill and the ribs/chicken were very juicy.

Great basic and easy marinade with stuff you have in the cupboard. Wife liked it enough that she wrote it down as " Jon's All Time Best Marinade"
    Last edited by jonp; 06-28-2020 at 11:03 AM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Yup, a marinade is basically acid + oil + flavorings. You can add salt for penetration - that's the soy sauce. Balsamic vinegar will give you a much more intense flavor. Well worth trying if you can get some. I have had to make rubs and marinades for one who will not use any sugar or sweetening at all. It does make it challenging.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Yup, a marinade is basically acid + oil + flavorings. You can add salt for penetration - that's the soy sauce. Balsamic vinegar will give you a much more intense flavor. Well worth trying if you can get some. I have had to make rubs and marinades for one who will not use any sugar or sweetening at all. It does make it challenging.
    Yes, it has all the parts needed. If Balsamic wasn't so expensive I'd get some. I've used it for vinegarettes with Good
    results.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Moderator Emeritus

A bottle of good balsamic lasts a long time... for marinades you can use a lower end balsamic because of all the other flavors that will cover up the subtle flavors a good balsamic carries.