MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Glad I'm not the only person trimming 44 magnum brass.

Banned

I like to make better ammo too. but I like to shoot it not admire it and I can make handgun ammo just as good on a progressive press as I can on a single stage. Spend one hour loading and 2 hours shooting instead of 6 hours loading and one hour shooting. I load mostly because at the volume I shoot I couldn't even begin to afford to buy ammo. Id have to live in a pup tent and eat spam! Believe one thing. If Hornady wanted to give me factory ammo id take a truck load! I load and cast to be able to afford to shoot PERIOD. I sure don't dislike doing it but id much rather be shooting.
    Quote Originally Posted by curioushooter View Post
    In 44 special I size .431 which is a bit oversize and I've found chamfering essential on the new starline brass which has a square edge. When you go to crimp it it will ride into and scarf off lead and lube if you don't.

I enjoy making very nice bullets and ammo. I'm not in it for speed, and I would just buy loaded ammo if I didn't want to make something better than loaded ammo.

With 38/357 I have never needed to chamfer since I side that .357 or .358 and it never needs it.

Attachment 264469

This case has been reloaded 6 times, always full length sized. It has never been tumbled.

Boolit Master
    I don't load for speed. I batch load on a single stage. Always did and always will. Even my Senior Turret is set up for single stage batch loading......just don't have to change dies as often. I use a Chargemaster to weigh each and every charge. Even most pistol ammo. I will put my reloads up against anyone else's, as far as accuracy goes.

Winelover

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    In my experience it makes more difference if you are seating and crimping in the same die the longer cases may scrape the bullet when being crimped while seating with a separate crimp die the mouth of the case will be over the crimp groove so no scraping when crimping , yes some of the crimps will be a little heavier than others but will not have a practical impact on accuracy for my use. And there are people here that have much more knowledge and experience than I have whose opinions i very much respect that say the same thing.
    I have done it both ways and gave up trimming straight wall pistol cases when I went to separate crimp dies.
    If for some reason you wound up with some really short cases (like some Hornady) they are in a separate batch.
    The Lee carbide factory crimp die does the same thing for me on auto pistol rounds about 90% of the time.

Like win94ae said if it makes you feel better , or what you are loading for demands the extra precision trim them.
    Ah. I think you might have touched on the reason I have issues if I don't trim my brass (once). I seat and crimp in the same operation.

Course I load on a single stage press. If I loaded on a Dillion or whatever I could seat and crimp in separate operations without undue work. That brings me to why I load, to save money, self sufficiency, and because I enjoy it.

I also don't use lee die sets mostly, so I don't generally use a collet crimp unless I've bought it separately for rifle calibers.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123