Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H&R Handi

Boolit Master

H&R Handi

I've had a few of these rifles over the years. I guess my favorite one is a .35 Remington someone recreated to an almost 35 Whelen. I bought one a while back that's a Classic Carbine. 45 Colt chamber in it, What's different with this one is that is has a left hand twist. All the others had a right hand twist. Why would they change up on this one cartridge?

Boolit Grand Master
    1911's had left hand twist, maybe they used to make barrels for that and just reused the specs? I don't know, this was just a guess.

Robert

Wiki says:

H&R built flare guns during World War I and a variety of firearms, including the Reising M50 submachine gun, during World War II.
    H&R was granted a contract to produce the M1 rifle during the Korean War, but the first deliveries of the rifles were not made until after the armistice.
    H&R manufactured the M14 rifle during that rifle's production cycle (1959–1964).
    H&R also manufactured M16A1 rifles during the Vietnam War and is one of only four manufacturers (along with Colt, Fabrique Nationale, & GM Hydramatic Division) to have ever made an official M16 variant for the U.S. Military.

The Reising chambering was .45ACP, but IDK anything about the rifling except that my street smarts tell me it's entirely possible the twist was a LH twist.

Last edited by pietro; 06-28-2020 at 10:20 AM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Interesting ideas. I never thought about them having left handed rifling equipment.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Hey Mr Peabodyb- Hope you are enjoying that rifle!

A person would think that all Hands Rifles would be the same as far as twist direction but obviously not.

As far as war production goes . . . and this may have nothing to do with why the rifling is left handed on some war production barrels . . . .

During the war, many of the plants converting to war production had the same issues that have plagued any production plant . . . employees pilfering tooling such as drill bits, cutters, etc. to take home and use. As a result, some plants converted some of their machinery to "left hand rotation" - i.e. reversed the motors and tooling was made left handed instead of right handed - drills, utters, etc. I had a machining instructor n college who "knew everything[' - or so he thought. One day, he smarter off about a "left hand drill bit" and I mentioned that I had one. He proclaimed . . . "they never made a left handed drill bit!" I asked him i the would like to put his money where his mouth was and he said . . . "you name the bet!" I said, "No exams and I get an A in the course." The next day, I brought the left handed drill bit with a Morse taper shank in to class and after he started class, he made a big deal about whether or not I could back up my claim. I carried the bit to the fronton the class and put in on his desk right in front of him. The entire class enjoyed watching him have to eat crow . . . and I got my A. The drill bit had been given to me by an old friend of my Dad's who had been a plant manager who had helped with the transition to left handed bits and cutters during the war. After the war, he said they went back to right had bits and cutters. I would't thank that something like that would affect the production of barrels with specialized machines and cutters, but who knows?
    Last edited by bedbugbilly; 06-30-2020 at 05:31 PM.

Boolit Master

Most likely H&R bought their barrel from whoever would give them a good price. A lot of pistols use the left hand twist for 45 caliber.

Boolit Buddy
    H&R also made smoothbore 45-70's used by the Navy as line throwing guns. I saw them used many times during underway replenishment operations.

Banned

I have one in 22 hornet and another in 17 hmr.........both RH twist and good shooters!

Boolit Master
    BBB, I'm having a ball with this little jewel. I spent the money for a set of Skinner sights. They are nice to use! I haven't tried to hot rod any of the loads, everything is safe to shoot in a revolver. I shoot it a lot better than a pistol.

Boolit Grand Master
    T/C used left hand twist barrels on their Contrnders IIRC

Wonderful piece.
    Plinking loads, high powered bore rider designs, muzzleloading like an in-line.
    Does it all.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ARKANSAS PACKRAT View Post
    H&R also made smoothbore 45-70's used by the Navy as line throwing guns. I saw them used many times during underway replenishment operations.
    Someone gifted me a bunch of line throwing blanks many years back. They can be reloaded for 45-70. I also remember unreps while on the Kitty Hawk in 69, still have the back pain.

Boolit Master
    The H&R Reising model 50 barrels I've seen where all RH twist.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    BBB, I'm having a ball with this little jewel. I spent the money for a set of Skinner sights. They are nice to use! I haven't tried to hot rod any of the loads, everything is safe to shoot in a revolver. I shoot it a lot better than a pistol.
    Could I get some more info about those “Skinner sights” please? They sound interesting.

Thanks,
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

I have a few Handi's and I do like them all but I really want to find/have made, a barrel chambering the 350 Legend. Do any of you know of someone that can do barrel conversions?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dapaki View Post
    I have a few Handi's and I do like them all but I really want to find/have made, a barrel chambering the 350 Legend. Do any of you know of someone that can do barrel conversions?
    JES reboring is now doing 350 legend barrel rebore/rechamber according to his site. Would be a reasonable means to get where you want to go.
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Both NEF and H&R bought their barrels from Green Mountain. If you want details .. call them
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dapaki View Post
    I have done quite a few over the years. We moved back to Idaho and the shop should be up and running in a few months.

I'm A Honcho!
    That is a fantastic gun. I found accurate loads for it from slow to Ruger Only loads.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Could I get some more info about those “Skinner sights” please? They sound interesting.

Thanks,
    Froggie
    http://skinnersights.com/index.html
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast