Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationADvertise here

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Are Lee Pots just garbage?

Boolit Mold
    I just plain find them convenient. I have several big bore moulds with 4-6 cav. I set my keep bottom pour up, and git r dun

Boolit Master
    I don't consider Lee products to be the best on the market but many of their products do fill a cost effective alternative to better engineered offerings. I like their 6 cavity molds for my guns with a larger appetite. I have a few other assorted Lee products that I use and like, especially my older Auto Prime. As far as Lee pots, I have a Mag 20 that is dedicated to COWW alloy. After I lapped the control rod and spout and added a PID, it functions just as well as my RCBS pot.

Knoxville, TN until I get back to Montana.
    I've got a Lee and an RCBS Pro-Melt. I got the Lee when I started out and now use it for nothing but pure lead. I got the RCBS used not too long after I got the Lee. While the RCBS works better, the Lee is still reliable and I haven't had any real problems. It drips a little bit more than the RCBS but not enough to consider it junk. I don't keep a thermometer in the melt so can't comment on how well either of them hold a steady temp. I keep both my pots clean and NEVER smelt in them. Only clean alloy goes in either of my pots. A clean pot will work better, regardless of what brand it is. Like has been mentioned, Lee is at one end of the spectrum on price point. Someone buying a Lee shouldn't expect it to work like a pot costing 3-4 times as much. If an affordable Lee is what gets a new person started in casting, fantastic. If someone's been at it a while and doesn't like the Lee or can't make it work well, save those pennies and get a better furnace.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote; Are Lee pots just garbage; Quote

I wouldn't call them garbage. I have 2 and sometimes 3 buddies that come over to cast in my shop. We'll set our pots up on my work bench and cast together while we visit. The guy with the Lee pot tinkers with his pot more than the rest of us. He keeps a small pile of tools next to him like a screwdriver, allen wrench and a bent paperclip.He's constantly poking and probing at the spout. We also melt our scrap lead together so we're all casting with the same quality of lead. He also keeps an ingot mold under his pot while he is refilling it or waiting on the lead to melt. At the end of the day he has slightly fewer bullets than the rest of us have.

The Lee guy has less money invested than the rest of us and he is happy to tinker with his pot, for the price difference. He's probably melted hundreds or maybe thousands of pounds of lead in his pot. So is it garbage? No its not! It is lesser expensive than our pots and has lesser performance.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    Smelting means using heat to extract metal from ore; we don't do that. For some reason many of today's cast bullet shooters (wrongly) call the melting of stray bits of lead based alloys in a pot "smelting".

Are Lee's simple melting pots the mechanical equals to those costing several times more? No, but that doesn't matter at all to most of us.

I've been bullet casting for about 55 years and have happily used one of the original Lee bottom pour melting pots for some thirty of those years; if it falls apart today I'll sigh, smile and get another one tomorrow. It appears I'm not the only one who feels that way about Lee's comparatively inexpensive pots; are we just too stupid to know what we're doing???
    2nd's on that! We do NOT smelt anything! All we do is simply remelt already smelted/processed metal products in our teeny little pots. I have said that for years, but nobody ever changes.

And when one of my 3 Lee pots dies, I will just by another one just like it. They are excellent products, if properly maintained, for the very small price they cost.

If it were not for Lee and their cost-effective pots, many of us on here would not have been casting for years! I certainly would never melt and cast Pb over a Coleman stove or wood campfire.

banger

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    Quote; Are Lee pots just garbage; Quote

I wouldn't call them garbage. I have 2 and sometimes 3 buddies that come over to cast in my shop. We'll set our pots up on my work bench and cast together while we visit. The guy with the Lee pot tinkers with his pot more than the rest of us. He keeps a small pile of tools next to him like a screwdriver, allen wrench and a bent paperclip.He's constantly poking and probing at the spout. We also melt our scrap lead together so we're all casting with the same quality of lead. He also keeps an ingot mold under his pot while he is refilling it or waiting on the lead to melt. At the end of the day he has slightly fewer bullets than the rest of us have.

The Lee guy has less money invested than the rest of us and he is happy to tinker with his pot, for the price difference. He's probably melted hundreds or maybe thousands of pounds of lead in his pot. So is it garbage? No its not! It is lesser expensive than our pots and has lesser performance.
    I have never done any of the things you describe above. I keep my pots clean of any debris in the bottom and have only had maybe a few drips over the years. The amount of service is equivalent to the knowledge and common sense the user has.

I would put my many thousands of perfect cast boolits over the years up against anyone running a $600-800 pot any day.

After all, they all go splat on the other end! Who cares what pot they came from?

banger

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345