WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fixed My Action

BA = Bolt Action

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    For me it would be junked and down the road. If I can not trust it to hit where I aim every single time it is bye-bye-baby!
    Exactly my sentiments.

Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    Have you put a good, known reliable scope on it.
    I had iron sights on it for the last 18 shots. Not the scope.

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Did he not say that the rifle does the same thing with iron sights?
    Yep, no matter what I do, and I have done everything, it will throw shots every so often.

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    I’m not one to run down another guys gun but I don’t know why they buy NEW cheap junk. There are local guys into H&R Handi rifles. Ok, if guy doesn’t have the $$ I can see buying one to hunt, that was when they were $100 new. Now prices on H&R are $300+. The new entry grade BA are much better value and shooters. For states like Ohio the companies are making BAs in legal deer cartridges. Since neither tumble guns or new low end BAs have any class at least you will have accuracy.
    I waited 2 years before I bought that rifle, and I bought it because it had the best reviews of all the candidates. If I would have known what I know now, obviously I would not have bought it.
    Like I said in my earlier post, if the 2 rifles I have for deer hunting cannot be fixed, I would be getting a Mossberg in 350 legend. Fortunately the Marlin 1894 locking bolt fitting was successful.

The only break-action rifle I know of that isn't prone to this vertical flier problem is the Civil-War era Maynard. It pulls the barrel tightly into it's seat with a toggle mechanism, there is no locking bolt which may or may not engage uniformly. The design worked so well that it even won more than a few Schuetzen medals in its' day, but sad to say it went out-of-print in 1890. A neat feature was that you could swap barrels simply by backing out the lever pin, no tools needed. It takes 15 seconds if you are good at it. Cased sets were sold with three and four barrels including shotgun barrels. Those still extant bring nosebleed prices today. Dr. Maynard was the inventor of paper roll caps, which in the early rifle models took the place of separate percussion caps. The guns went obsolete, but 165 years later you can still get roll caps for your kid's (or your) cap guns.

http://www.nramuseum.org/guns/the-ga...g-carbine.aspx

Why someone doesn't revive the concept is quite beyond me.
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    The only break-action rifle I know of that isn't prone to this vertical flier problem is the Civil-War era Maynard. It pulls the barrel tightly into it's seat with a toggle mechanism, there is no locking bolt which may or may not engage uniformly. The design worked so well that it even won more than a few Schuetzen medals in its' day, but sad to say it went out-of-print in 1890. A neat feature was that you could swap barrels simply by backing out the lever pin, no tools needed. It takes 15 seconds if you are good at it. Cased sets were sold with three and four barrels including shotgun barrels. Those still extant bring nosebleed prices today. Dr. Maynard was the inventor of paper roll caps, which in the early rifle models took the place of separate percussion caps. The guns went obsolete, but 165 years later you can still get roll caps for your kid's (or your) cap guns.

http://www.nramuseum.org/guns/the-ga...g-carbine.aspx

Why someone doesn't revive the concept is quite beyond me.
    I had no idea this was a thing, until this post. What can I say, everyone elses guns were perfect, except mine. Isn't that strange how that works?
    Thanks!

Some examples of these modern break-opens work, some don't. I have no idea exactly why, but it might be connected with "stacking" of machining tolerances. Give me half a million $$$ for a Zeiss scanning CMM and support facilities, and 100 examples of each design, and maybe in a year I can tell you.
    Cognitive Dissident

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12