Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winchester primers inconsistency.

I had the same issues with W-W primers being a bit undersized. I bought a brick and right from the start, I noticed they were falling into the pockets a bit too easy for my liking. I deprimed the live primers and substituted CCI's and Rem and the pockets were nice and tight. The mic showed that they were indeed smaller. I contacted Winchester and the lady I talked to sent me a shipping label and I returned them. In return, they sent me a voucher for a purchase of WW products. These were LR primers. I dont know if the other sizes had this problem but since that time I have pretty much been a CCI guy except when Obama was in office and then I found whatever I could. No misfires with any brand.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Thanks for telling your experience murf. This has happened with both large rifle and large pistol primers for me.

Boolit Buddy
    I have never had a misfire or FTF with Winchester primers, and that means large/small standard & magnum, pistol and rifle. CCI on the other hand has not been as reliable.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Thanks for telling your experience murf. This has happened with both large rifle and large pistol primers for me.
    On the other hand, I have had some cases that were pretty tired with primer pockets getting on the not so snug side, but not loose. When I used CCI in those, they gave the snug seating pressure that the mic indicated it would. Probably a combination of a touch larger and a tougher cup material.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    I have only had 2 bricks of bad primers in 40 years both were CCI the first was SPP in the 1980s the second time it was LR mag primers around 2020 , both times I was very disappointed with the company's response .
    I still use CCI primers but I use I lot more Winchester and Federal than I use to . Not all primers are perfect , but all primers should fire .

Federal primers

The reason I do not buy or use Federal primers any more. Now I only use CCI and Winchester.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Federalprimers.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy303 View Post
    The reason I do not buy or use Federal primers any more. Now I only use CCI and Winchester.
    I imagine the bolt face has ring-around-the-the-firing pin hole. I had that happen with Remington 9-1/2 primers in the 70s and just a few rounds each scarred a Sako and a Remington for life.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Well my first choice for primers has been and remains CCI. Don't know why, just never had a problem with them.

If I can not get CCI, Winchester LR primers have been my second option for some years now. Just about finished working through a brick of 1000 with no issues.

Remington I stay away from, I used to be a Rem Fan Boi but they screwed the pooch and sent me elsewhere. Started with .22lr ammo and moved from there.

Federal I trust, but I suspect they are a bit softer. Now some guns that is a plus. They need a Fed primer to avoid FTF issues. Maybe I've been lucky, don't know.

I know I trust their loaded ammo. Sitting on 1k of 9mm FMJ that has been very good.

I do tend to stay away from the cheaper off brand primers. S&B, Wolf, etc. I don't need to save a penny that bad.

CCI has been good for me going way back, as yet nothing has happened to make me rethink that. So they retain their #1 position.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12