Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Anyone push the 44-250 KT with a full 25 grains of H110/296 in 44 mag

I'm A Honcho!

Anyone push the 44-250 KT with a full 25 grains of H110/296 in 44 mag

Greetings Gents,

After some Taffin reading I was wondering if anyone pushed the 44-250 KT with a full 25 grains of H110/296 in 44 mag.

If anyone has any info on this boolit and powder combo please chime in.

If accurate I’m betting this will run close to 2000 FPS from a rifle and be deer lightning if I can make it accurate.

My mold is the GC version and I plan on running them with 50:50 COWW:SOWW.

Thanks,

Bluejay
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Was about 1470 with the 429421 and with an Accurate mold 258J both plain base and powder coated. The latter weighed in at 264 grains. ES were similar for both at just under 50.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by bluejay75 View Post
    Greetings Gents,

After some Taffin reading I was wondering if anyone pushed the 44-250 KT with a full 25 grains of H110/296 in 44 mag.

If anyone has any info on this boolit and powder combo please chime in.

If accurate I’m betting this will run close to 2000 FPS from a rifle and be deer lightning if I can make it accurate.

Bluejay
    Yup - did about 30 years ago - both SBH and Marlin 20" carbine.
    25grs of both 296 and H110 branded powders with the RCBS 254 grain KT WW heat treated in the rifle and not in the handgun.

Accurate in the handgun. Just so-so accurate in the rifle.
    The handgun velocity was close to but not 1500 fps and the rifle was in the low 1800's fps. It did not make 2000 fps in my rifle.

I ended up going to a 250grn GC design for the rifle that produced a little better accuracy.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    That load is over max for most manuals. That said, I've tried it in my Blackhawk, but I wouldn't shoot it in my model 29.

I can't use it in my Rossi model 92 because the bullet is too long.

I dont have much experience with 300 MP yet, but I strongly suspect you could do just as well with a book load of 300 MP, but still be under SAAMI max average pressure. It might be the same case with Accurate 11FS.

I'm A Honcho!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaMike View Post
    That load is over max for most manuals. That said, I've tried it in my Blackhawk, but I wouldn't shoot it in my model 29.

I can't use it in my Rossi model 92 because the bullet is too long.

I dont have much experience with 300 MP yet, but I strongly suspect you could do just as well with a book load of 300 MP, but still be under SAAMI max average pressure. It might be the same case with Accurate 11FS.
    I emptied an 8 pound jug stockpiling a very accurate 23.5 grain 44 magnum load behind a Pb MP Molds 44 Hammer boolit. Now I have a pile of brass and a couple jugs of 296 to complete what should be nearly a lifetime supply of 44s.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.

I'm A Honcho!
    Double post. Actually I’m interested if this is an accurate load from a rifle.

Boolit Master
    Curious what alloy you would use for that load. Straight lino type?
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master
    QuickLoad predicts it a little over pressure, and the powder will be crushed a bit by bullet seating. Dropping to 24 grains changes the velocity only 80fps (predicted again), and is within SAMMI pressure standard and it fits the case.

22.0 of 296 behind a Ranch Dog 265 gives right around 1400 in 7.5 inch Bisley. Never saw a need for more than that.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    I shot some of the 25.0 grains H110, 429421, CCI350 the other day. Decent load. Many years ago Kent Lomont recommended that load to me.
    BTW I was using Lyman #2 as established by the caster based on samples sent to a lab.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 08-08-2020 at 10:46 AM.

Boolit Master
    I used to 25 grains of 296 under the Winchester lubaloy 240 grain GC SWC , A lighter bullet but more bullet in the case than my 429421 . The Winchester load came out of the Winchester manual And was one of those do not reduce loads . That same manual shows 24 grains with a Winchester JHP
    Have to dig up my old notes to see if I tried the 429421 with 296 , mainly shoot it with unique and 2400.

Boolit Buddy
    I use 24.0 grs of 296/H110 and a pure linotype 429421 in my 9 1/2" Super Redhawk. Have shot that load for many years. Does a good job on whitetails, but have never had a 'dead right there' shot. Never had to follow deer for more than 30 yards either.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Banned

I have but it's not my favorite powder.