Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders JerkyWidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Round nose flat point vs. Semi-wadcutter Question

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfer View Post
    I too have always questioned whether the shoulder did any work. However I can say that my 454-424 cut a clean 45 cal hole at the entrance on deer.
    The lee 452-255RF has the same meplat “.320 “ and cuts about the same hole just not as clean as the semi wadcutter.
    Like others have said I can’t tell a difference in terminal performance.
    With a small cup HP in either blood trails are better if/ when it exits but terminal performance remains about the same.

For the record I deer hunt with the NOE copy of the Lee with a cup Hp. Performance has been excellent on several deer. I see no reason to change.
    There has to be a diameter size hole on entry, on game or paper. A bullet doesn't shrink as it flies.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    There has to be a diameter size hole on entry, on game or paper. A bullet doesn't shrink as it flies.
    Not true at all. I've seen 50 caliber bullets make about a 1/4" entry hole, and the exit wasn't much bigger. That was a sharp pointed spitzer bullet in a muzzleloader that failed to expand. Hide and meat are very elastic.

Boolit Master
    with the 30-30 being responsible for probably a majority of dead deer in North America I would think its very likely that the 311291 will work equally as well as the 311041

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PositiveCaster View Post
    Back in the 1990s, Ross Seyfried tested this in one of the slicks (Guns & Ammo?). He mixed up pails of jello filled with sand and fired both LFN and SWC bullets (.45”?) painted with black paint into the gel. The photos definitively showed that the SWC shoulders had no abrasion, they were still covered with paint. The noses of all bullets were void of paint. At the test velocity, the SWC shoulder didn’t touch anything, indicating that wounding is performed by the bullet’s nose.

So if you hunt pails of jello the shoulder doesn't matter. Think about what you aim to hit shooting at a deer. Are those areas homogenous and jello like? Ever hit a bone? What then?

By the way Brian Pearce firmly believes the shoulder cuts in big game and has both shot and butchered piles of game with both types.
    Rule 303

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Not true at all. I've seen 50 caliber bullets make about a 1/4" entry hole, and the exit wasn't much bigger. That was a sharp pointed spitzer bullet in a muzzleloader that failed to expand. Hide and meat are very elastic.
    Yep, I've shot deer with a 220 fmj hornady out of 06, in and out both looked to be less than 30 cal, nice clean eatin meat though.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    deer I have shot with the 410459 left cookie cutter holes in hide and shoulder blade. Also in the messing around I have done the Saeco 230 .411 does not tend to cookie cut but the 410459 does, so it seems that the diameter of the first shoulder band might have something to do with the end hole. I love the Keith, but my biggest hole cutter is a two .33 meplat WLNGC-- I have now have a NOE keith with a .31 meplat and a good shoulder-- we will see how it does.

I take my observations from two sources.

1) I butcher deer semi-professionally with my wife during the season. Not only do I butcher my own, but from about a dozen other people every year. So I see a lot of wounds. Where I live pistol calibers are popular (they were legally required until recently) and so are muzzloaders. Friendship, Indiana is Muzzloader capital of the world, basically. Shotguns were popular too until the last few years.

2) From research personally conducted on calibrated gelatin.

There is very little observable difference between round nosed and flat nosed projectiles at normal handgun velocities, basically. On gelatin it is almost indistinguishable. I have a 158 grain RCBS SWCGC and a 158 grain SAECO roundnose. Using the exact same charges in both 357 and 38 special fired from my 4" model 19 I could hardly tell any difference. In both cases the bullets zippled straight through 28" of gel. The flat nose does seem to do a little more damage in the initial few inches, but it is really almost negligible. Hollowpoints are a different ball game.

On actual animals the difference is slightly more observable. Flat nosed projectiles seem to crush up a little more meat in the wound channel whereas round nose sort of "pushes" it out the way more. In both cases though it does leave a hole, roughly caliber sized, as these projectiles do not expand.

Now, I've seen wounds from 12 gauge lee slugs moving at about 1700 FPS at impact. Despite having an almost spherical nose, these things DO smash into a sort of fat pancake shape leaving an enormous 1" or so hole in the animal. I've never observed slugs impacting at lower handgun type velocities so I don't know what to about that. These are cast of nearly pure lead.

For me I prefer flat noses for other reasons. 1) flat nosed top punches have a lot more surface area on the bullet and don't mark it up when you lubricate/size. 2) Larger bullets can be loaded in revolvers since it wont go too far forward of the cylinder. 3) If you shoot paper the wadcutter or semi-wadcutter usually leaves a nicer hole.

Boolit Master

Good info. I can see both sides. I have always used long SWCs as I am a definite Grey Beard. I haven't used WFN on game but many who have swear by them.
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

SWCs and RNFPs designs like LFN, WFN are basically the same except for the shoulder and the size of the meplat. The difference in meplat is usually less than 15% in a given caliber, so I am not sure why anybody would expect radically different performance.

Roundnose is a different profile, so I could imagine there would be differences, but my observations do not bear out much difference.

One performance difference I've noticed is flight.

Ketih type SWCs, RN, RNFP, etc...these a pretty good at maintaining stable flight at extended ranges and as they cross the transonic zone (which is an issue with magnum handungs which start off super sonic but often fall to below subsonic at practical ranges). Full-Wadcutters, though very accurate at short ranges, just fall apart stability wise at pretty near ranges. I've seen them start to tumble and keyhole at only 30 yards or so.

I like the solid Ketih-type SWC in larger bores probably best of all because it is so versatile. It cuts a nice hole in paper, has adequate weight to pass through basically any game, is not so heavy it is brutish to shoot, are usually accurate, have stable long range aerodynamics, and can be loaded to mousfart and magnum power levels and works well in both. Really, what more do you want? Gas checks are helpful sometimes, and especially with hollowpoints or when pressures get high, and thats where Ray Thompson designs come in.

I prefer RNFPs in medium bore handguns and rifles. The MP 359 hammer (which is basically a WFN pattern) with gas check is an outstanding bullet in both my M19 and Marlin.

I would never think of using a 30 caliber or smaller without a gas check. Cleaning lead from a barrel that narrow is a chore. All my 30 caliber molds are checked and RNFPs.
    Last edited by curioushooter; 07-10-2020 at 12:45 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12