WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: I got the C virus; I bought a Colt! Pictures Added!!

Boolit Master

I got the C virus; I bought a Colt! Pictures Added!!

OK so I'm basically a revolver guy. I do own and love a few autos, but I really prefer to just shoot a revolver. My idea of relaxation is to just set up a target at 50 yards and do some nice old NRA Bullseye slowfire. .38 special wad cutters, .44 Special soft loads, .45ACP softies, does it get any better? Relaxing, de-stressing, just nice. I'm sort of "known" at my club as the old guy who shoots a revolver with 1 hand.

Now it just seems to have worked out that I'm also a S&W guy. All the revolvers I own are Smiths. Not that I disliked Colts, as a kid I remember reading all about the various "old" Colts, and even the newer ones in the 80s and 90s, before Colt sort of gave up and went away And even though I always dreamed of owning a Python, it just never happened. They were always expensive, and now the market is just nuts. So it just worked out that I've been playing for team S&W for my entire shooting career.

But can I call myself a revolver aficionado if I've never owned a Colt??

So, I went out searching. Like I said, 99% of my shooting is NRA Bullseye style, so a .38 or .357 seemed ideal, just load up with .38 wadcutters and have at it. Even though the Python prices are insane, both old and new (and it seems so with all of the "snake" guns) there are others that seem to have not gone nuts, or at least not yet.

I found an Officer's Model Match at a LGS, but it seemed to be a bit more worn than the price warranted. But then I saw this Trooper .357 at another LGS. I thought it was in very good condition, and I checked over as many mechanical things as I could possibly think or (not being a Colt expert of course, but general tightness, endshake, push off, etc. are pretty much consistent in revolvers) and it seemed really tight. Price was $599, and when I asked the owner said it was firm. I figured I couldn't get hurt too bad for that.

I only snapped two quick pics

I now need to way for my permit amendment to go through. Obviously I'll post lots more pics and give a complete range report once I get it.

So tell me Colt guys, did I do OK? I would think so. Oh and one question; I love the way those stocks feel. Are they what Colt called Target stocks? As I understand it they somewhat desirable? Sort of like S&W Cokes to to those of us that dabble in Smiths?

Super Moderator Emeritus
    you made a good buy on that Colt. no newer colt has as good an action as those in mho.

Boolit Master

Congrats on the Colt.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    Good luck PatrickL, I've got people waiting over 3 months for the paperwork to come back. I hope the process is faster upstate than here.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Here is a 3-inch Official Police, not original as Colt never did an OP in this length, but I wanted one. The refurb by Sandy Garrett at NoVA Gun Works is so well done that it looks factory. Serial number dates it 1939:

Attachment 264055
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Here is a 3-inch Official Police, not original as Colt never did an OP in this length, but I wanted one. The refurb by Sandy Garrett at NoVA Gun Works is so well done that it looks factory. Serial number dates it 1939:

Attachment 264055
    Elliot Ness gun right?
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Elliot Ness gun right?
    That was sorta the idea.

I wanted "six for sure" and not five shots. A requirement was a heat-treated frame and cylinder which would stand steady diet of +P, which defines the OP. It can also use the same speed loaders as my Ruger Speed Six. I always figured that a 3-inch barrel was the best compromise between portability and ballistics. I also have a 3-inch Detective Special, which I love, but the D-frame isn't sturdy enough for +P, but this one sure is. Cylinder throats are .3575, good match for the .354 groove diameter barrel and 11-degree forcing cone. Chamber shoulders are 3 degrees Basic and gentle transition to the cylinder throats. Made that way originally. Sandy fitted the barrel so that barrel-cylinder gap is 0.003" pass/0.004" hold, so velocity is little different from a 4-inch gun set up at Mean Assembly Tolerance. Copper indent is 0.012" on the government gage [0.010 being .38 Special standard, whereas 0.012 is spec for .357 and 9mm] so this thing will set off rifle primers!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Congrats on your Colt Patrick, a nice Trooper. I have a satin nickled MkIII in .22lr. Shot it a ton when I first got it 40 years ago. Outpost, that’s a nice compromise between the 2 and 4 inch but I just like the looks of a 2 inch bbl on the square grip OP. Don’t have any .38 Colts with adjustable sights just an Anaconda in .45Colt. Can’t go wrong with an old school Colt or Smith.

I had Pythons, Diamondback and Cobra back in 70s & 80s. I’ve had a bushel of Troopers and service type Colts. Also the vintage SAs and DAs. Only Colt revolver I own presently is a NS 455.
    I had S&W fever since I got a K22 in 1964. I have gathered up a few of them but everything else is just passing through. I don’t remember what I paid for Pythons but I think it was less than $250 both were blue. I sold a lot of Troopers when in business but was past Colt stage when Anaconda and King Cobra came out. Given choice I will take a old P&R m27 over a Python any time.

Boolit Master

I'm still shooting a Python and want that K-38 Master Piece. I guess I'm about the same,I just don't have many S&W Revolvers,I have always liked the Dan Wesson line of Revolvers and the Ruger Blackhawks.
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 06-26-2020 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Window's spell check thingy messed up the post
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Grand Master
    I think you did well! I like the older Colts, and a 4 inch Trooper of late fifties-early sixties vintage would likely follow me home. Here are a couple of mine. One 22 and one .38.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3789.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	264086
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick L View Post
    OK so I'm basically a revolver guy. I do own and love a few autos, but I really prefer to just shoot a revolver. My idea of relaxation is to just set up a target at 50 yards and do some nice old NRA Bullseye slowfire. .38 special wad cutters, .44 Special soft loads, .45ACP softies, does it get any better? Relaxing, de-stressing, just nice. I'm sort of "known" at my club as the old guy who shoots a revolver with 1 hand.

Now it just seems to have worked out that I'm also a S&W guy. All the revolvers I own are Smiths. Not that I disliked Colts, as a kid I remember reading all about the various "old" Colts, and even the newer ones in the 80s and 90s, before Colt sort of gave up and went away And even though I always dreamed of owning a Python, it just never happened. They were always expensive, and now the market is just nuts. So it just worked out that I've been playing for team S&W for my entire shooting career.

But can I call myself a revolver aficionado if I've never owned a Colt??

So, I went out searching. Like I said, 99% of my shooting is NRA Bullseye style, so a .38 or .357 seemed ideal, just load up with .38 wadcutters and have at it. Even though the Python prices are insane, both old and new (and it seems so with all of the "snake" guns) there are others that seem to have not gone nuts, or at least not yet.

I found an Officer's Model Match at a LGS, but it seemed to be a bit more worn than the price warranted. But then I saw this Trooper .357 at another LGS. I thought it was in very good condition, and I checked over as many mechanical things as I could possibly think or (not being a Colt expert of course, but general tightness, endshake, push off, etc. are pretty much consistent in revolvers) and it seemed really tight. Price was $599, and when I asked the owner said it was firm. I figured I couldn't get hurt too bad for that.

I only snapped two quick pics

I now need to way for my permit amendment to go through. Obviously I'll post lots more pics and give a complete range report once I get it.

So tell me Colt guys, did I do OK? I would think so. Oh and one question; I love the way those stocks feel. Are they what Colt called Target stocks? As I understand it they somewhat desirable? Sort of like S&W Cokes to to those of us that dabble in Smiths?
    Believe me, friend, that virus you bought into can be a long-lasting and expensive one!

Very nice purchase you made, by the way. I shelled out $250 twenty years ago for a beater that no one browsing the gun show wanted. No regrets at all.

If your new baby has not been messed with, I suspect she will shoot right with Pythons and probably the Officers Model Match as well.

If you haven't already done so, you will want to read Ken Waters' Pet Loads article on the .38 wadcutter, in volume 2 of that book. Among the revolvers he used in testing was a Colt 357, which he found to be exceptionally accurate. Your Trooper is basically a plain-Jane version of the same gun.

One hint that was passed on to me by a Colt man of considerable experience: you can snap the Colt cylinder closed as is done with S&W guns. However, the cognoscente, I was told, will pull the cylinder release latch back, push the cylinder into the frame, and then release the latch. Apparently too much snapping action can bugger the Colt's intricate mechanics.

Thanks for posting. Look forward to your range report.
    Last edited by PBSmith; 06-26-2020 at 12:56 PM.

Boolit Master
    My brother in law has a mint 2.5" Diamondback 38 special that was his Dad's. Think it was purchased in the 70's. He had no idea how valuable they are. Told him to hang on to it. Maybe one of my nieces will decide she wants to protect herself down the road.

Boolit Buddy
    Born and spent the first 20 Years in Nyack N.Y. right on the Hudson River. Back in my youth you could catch and eat the fish from that river. Not to mention the crabs. Supplied many a meal for my family as a young boy. Sorry it has gone bad.

I am a colt revolver shooter. You bought a gun I recommend to others who want to get an accurate revolver that won’t break the bank. You can sell for that or more if you decide it’s not for you. All of my recommendations were well received with them buying more specific Colts. When firing 38 ammo, even plus P, one doesn’t need the weight of the later trooper mkIII or the python. Yes, target stocks, and they do feel very right. Shoot and enjoy.

Boolit Master

My amendment went through, so I picked up the old Colt Trooper I posted about last week. Here are a few more pics

The only thing I can see, based on what I read in Kuhnhausen's book, is that the recoil plate (shield?) looks like she's been shot a bit. There is a little ejector peen marking on the plate. Since I intend to shoot 99% light .38 wadcutters, I don't think its much of an issue.

As I have said, this is my first Colt. Colt experts, any observations would be welcome.

Boolit Bub
    Congrats on the Colt. You will thoroughly enjoy it. Great action and balance. Mine is a 1st-year "Colt 3 5 7". My dad bought it in 1954 and gave it to me when I entered the Academy. Carried it for many years.

I still take it to the range (today, actually) and it still shoots like a dream. I'm usually the only shooter with a wheel gun. My load of choice is a 158 SWC-gc over 5.9 grains of Unique. Gets about 950 fps. With .38 WC's, it's a pussycat.

Shoot the heck out of yours.....you'll love it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200701_200913.jpg