Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: There’s No Such Thing As 12:00 AM or 12:00 PM!

Kenton, apparent noon is on a longitude with multiple of 15, starting with 0 degrees (exception to 15 degrees) at Greenwich. What’s screwed are those countries that have a half hour difference in their time zones.
    Waksupi, I don’t know about colleges today, but why would you belittle knowledge of a subject? Please keep it professional and not personal.

12:00 AM
    12:00 PM

Teasing!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    The whole clock, 'what time is it' thing is just a confidence game perpetuated by the Swiss.
    Well the Swiss may have invented it , but it was adopted wholeheartedly by the. . . . . . . . . .

TIME NAZIS!
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Buddy

No, no, no. There's no such thing as "Fun for the whole family"

Boolit Grand Master
    a.m. (from Latin ante meridiem, translating to before midday) and p.m. (from Latin post meridiem translating to after midday).
    The 24 hour clock makes more sense.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
    Kenton, apparent noon is on a longitude with multiple of 15, starting with 0 degrees (exception to 15 degrees) at Greenwich. What’s screwed are those countries that have a half hour difference in their time zones.
    Waksupi, I don’t know about colleges today, but why would you belittle knowledge of a subject? Please keep it professional and not personal.
    If I asked you to meet me at 12, when would you be there?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

You’ve got a 50-50 chance, assuming we’re in the same time zone

Boolit Master

Sounds like someone has too much free time and has a nit to pick. Once a thing has enough common use, it becomes a norm, so 12AM and 12PM exists, you know how I know? I know because if I tell someone to meet me at 12PM, they don't ask for clarification. While technically it may not be correct, it is in common use, and I am but a common man.

And on the Arty comment, when I call for fire, I would sure hope the arty boys would not think I would be calling arty 24 hours in advance, I want it NOW.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    If I asked you to meet me at 12, when would you be there?
    I’d imagine this is somewhat regional. But if you ask anyone around me to meet you at 12 they’re going to assume 12pm, noon. No one refers to 12am as such. 12am is referred to as midnight. This is literally how I would write it on my time card a little over five years ago. I tried to convince them to switch to military time but the owner was stuck in his ways.

Omega, it’s common to write Op Orders prior to carrying them out. Sometimes they’re more than 24 hours old before executed. Maybe a poor example but...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
    Omega, it’s common to write Op Orders prior to carrying them out. Sometimes they’re more than 24 hours old before executed. Maybe a poor example but...
    Yes, but call-for-fire is not usually scheduled, and not usually on an op order. An op order would designate who our support would be, freqs, etc but not scheduled. Now, if they are softening up an area, well then yes, it is scheduled to make sure there isn't any friendlies in the AO. I have always used 2400, and never 0000, though both would be understood, just as 12 noon, 12 midnight (though I usually leave the numbers out), or 12am, 12pm would be understood. Again, I understand and agree that it may be technically incorrect, much like boolit but....
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123