MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: There’s No Such Thing As 12:00 AM or 12:00 PM!

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    I don't think the analog clocks around the house are ever going to do the "minute hop" twice a day so if they ever correct the digital ones to skip the non-existent midnight or noon <cheesy grin here> My clocks will all lose 2 minutes a day.

Also I blame the rail roads for all this standardization of time. Something to do with not having two trains at same place at same time going in opposite directions made them get all fussy about time. And industrial revolution, wanting everyone to start work at the same time.

Of course solar meridian and noon are not the same. I think going back many decades that the sun is only at meridian one moment each day and it isn't likely to be at noon but once a year. If that. Yep was able to confirm that the science I learned in the 9th grade still applied.

Yet clocks in both of those locations will say it is "noon" So for much of a given time zone 12:00 AM is really before the meridian but it could also be after to your east. And it is always going to be 12 hrs. before and after midnight.

Does anyone really know what time it is? Does anybody really care? If so I can't imagine why....

"As I was walking down the street one day, a pretty lady looked at me and said her diamond watch had stopped cold dead. And I said"...

It's still right twice a day!

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    That's about what it has evolved into.

And a few people have had enough of it.
    One of the Western, desert states no longer switches over to it anymore.
    Unless you are on the Navajo Reservation, which does observe daylight saving time, and takes up 1/4 of the state (AZ)

I hope all this doesn't mean I have to get up before the crack of noon..

He walked down the dusty street at 12:00 AM, or was it 12:00 PM. No wait, it was high noon. Slowly and carefully he inserted a clip in his Glock service revolver and released the safety.....
    Last edited by Castaway; 06-27-2020 at 07:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    But it so much easier to than 0000 and 1200 .
    It is easyer to go with 1200 and 2400 . I do not wear a watch anyways so it dose not matter .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I'm retired .... don't need no stinking clock.......
    Not true. The retired folks here in Florida rely on clocks to tell them when happy hour and early bird specials begin!

I learned how to us the 24 hour clock I was in the US Navy Sea Cadets at 13 years old. When I joined the Navy I had no problems with it on day one in boot camp. I still have no problem with it. My wife still can not figure the 24 hour clock even though as a nurse she had to use it. Now she asks me to decipher it for her. Never had a worry about what Midnight and Noon is. Time Zones across the country/world are a different story, but when traveling my Cell Phone clock uses Location to correct for time zone changes.

Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    It is easyer to go with 1200 and 2400 .

As a young USMC issue Sergeant, 9,000 miles away from home:
    I turned over the duty log to the SgtMaj one morning after having Duty NCO-
    One of my entries was ' 2400. Toured the barracks, all secure'.

I was informed, as only well decorated Sergeant Majors can, that there is no 2400.
    What we know as 'mid-night' is in fact 0000. Ten minutes after that is 0010, and so on.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

One minute after midnight the clock should read 00:01.
    Two minutes after midnight the clock should read 00:02.
    and so on.

Fifty nine minutes after midnight the clock should read 00:59.
    one minute after that it would be 1:00.

At mid-day the clock should read 12:00.

KISS
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

The origin of the reason the SMAJ said there was no 0000 relates to the original post. Messages should not refer to 0000 or even 2400 to avoid confusion; i.e., if an event is scheduled for 0000, the 4th of July, it could easily be confused with a resultant error of 24 hours. To avoid confusion, schedule events at 2359, 3 July or 0001, 4 July. To those that quibble over such mundane matters, let me suggest they call in arty or an air strike on a position they occupy with a potential error of 24 hours.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
    The origin of the reason the SMAJ said there was no 0000 relates to the original post. Messages should not refer to 0000 or even 2400 to avoid confusion; i.e., if an event is scheduled for 0000, the 4th of July, it could easily be confused with a resultant error of 24 hours. To avoid confusion, schedule events at 2359, 3 July or 0001, 4 July. To those that quibble over such mundane matters, let me suggest they call in arty or an air strike on a position they occupy with a potential error of 24 hours.
    In that instance, I would date it like the Brits do: on the night of 3-4 July, XXXX.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

I thought real seamen used bells

Clock whats this clock nonsense i look at the angle of the sun or the relation of the constellations in relation to polaris clocks pfff
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Master
    sheesh! somebody has too much time on their hands- go cast some bullets!
    Loren

(whiny voice) Im out of lead
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    And a few people have had enough of it.
    One of the Western, desert states no longer switches over to it anymore.
    There’s a reason for that, it’s very hot. People do most of their business once the sun goes down. So it makes sense there to not want more sunlight at the end of the day.

Where I live most people want it permanently pushed forward. We want daylight when get home from work in the winter. Light later in the day is more beneficial for those living in northern latitudes.

I laugh, twice a year, at the people that complain about the time change. It is what it is and you make due. Arizona not changing their time screws up my red eye flights back during the winter. End up getting back later because of it. But it what it is and I make due.

And of course there is the main question, does time exist or is it a human construct? That’s more impotent then midnight and noon

My folks just went on with their work until the ******* (donkey)brayed, then went to dinner, yes, dinner and the *******(donkey) knew what time it was. The evening meal was supper. They didn't need clocks. My uncle would look up in the sky and say" It's 3 oclock, we need to hurry up if we are going to get done before supper time. They got up when the rooster crowed, worked hard all day went to bed when it got dark. Not too much complication there. HuH LOL
    Last edited by OldBearHair; 06-29-2020 at 11:58 AM. Reason: add word

Boolit Buddy
    If you want something else to be annoyed about, look at time zones as apposed to the longitude they are supposed to relate to. They are all shifted so the sun rises and sets later than it should and high noon is around 11-11:30 for the majority of the time zone.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Solar_time_vs_standard_time.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	264198

Image shamelessly stolen from Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_zone
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Quote Originally Posted by OldBearHair View Post
    My folks just went on with their work until the ******* (donkey)brayed,
    My Grandparents were ranchers in the Hill Country, they were like that.
    There was a nice clock in the living room, but nobody was hardly ever in there much to see it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
    “Ante” is before, “Post” is after; 12:00 is neither, it’s in the middle. It’s correctly referred to as 1200 noon or 1200 midnight. The nonsense of 12:00 AM or PM is a result of digital clocks and has created its share of nonsense and confusion since it first appeared.
    This sounds like something coming out of the colleges today.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast