RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Last night with my dog.

Boolit Master

Last night with my dog.

I had to call the vet yesterday to arrange to have my dog put down. Hardest call I've ever had to make. She arrives tomorrow night at 5:30 to put him to sleep and take him away for cremation. I will get his ashes in an urn a week later.

Rowdy would have turned 14 on September 11th of this year. He's a 100lb Great Dane/Lab mix who has outlived his life expectancy by about 3 years. Just a big, goofy, sweet dog that I love like a child. My heart has been breaking for weeks since he started going downhill fast.

His hips finally gave out and his body is riddled with arthritis. Two days ago, he may have suffered a stroke or had sudden onset of dementia. He can hardly walk, can't focus, and keeps bumping into things. I have to help him up and get out the door to use the bathroom.

He was my daughter's 15th birthday present to help her deal with teen drama and he pretty much saved her life. She is now married to a man in the Air Force and has three kids. When they got orders to Japan 4 years ago, she asked me to take him, as he was nearly ten and they didn't think he would survive the 6 months of quarantine in Japan. I reluctantly did and had to build a privacy fence around my yard and new deck complete with doggy door.

When I adopted him, I put him on joint/hip supplements and a grain-free diet. A year ago, I started him on CBD/hemp oil. Six months ago when the arthritis reared it's ugly head, I started giving him daily cans of tuna and stronger CBD oil. A month ago, he was prescribed anti-inflammatory meds by the vet. He seemed to be improving until that week of nasty cold and wet weather. He got worse and when the weather got warmer, he didn't improve and his mental health went south.

So here I am enjoying my last night with my best friend.

I'm drinking Pendleton Whiskey and he's getting hot dogs and leftover pizza.

My girlfriend lost her grandmother last week and I'm blubbering more over this old dog than she did for her grandma.

I messaged my daughter and gave her the news. She sent me the money to cover the vet expenses, which were ridiculous. $416 to have a house call, euthanasia, cremation, and urn. I tried to refuse it, but she wanted to show her appreciation for all I've done for him.

Goodbye old friend...

The day we adopted him at three years old...

Attachment 264033

Loving on my first grandchild...

Attachment 264034

One of our last adventures in the woods this winter...

Attachment 264035
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Looks like a good pup, and sounds like you've all served him well. Sorry for your loss, my friend.....
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Grand Master

A dogs companionship and friendship are unmatched. Thoughts and prayers for healing and easing of your sorrows during his passing. It’s been 4 years since I put down my Lab mix, scout. She was the best dog I could have ever asked for.

Sorry to hear that.

All in good time, he'll be waiting for ya on the other side of the rainbow bridge.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I am so sorry to hear about your loss!

Pets are special of every stripe, but once in a while we are blessed with a really special one like yours.

As a cattle rancher I have had a number of cattle dogs. Part watch dog, certainly stock dogs everyone of them. Constant friend and consular on a bad day. On good days entertainment, each one has left their mark on my life and times.

On Good Friday this year my wife and I lost our “Dixie”. She was one in a million. Half Blue Heeler, quarter Australian Shepard and quarter Catahoula. She reached into her rich ancestry and pushed the button for the kind of dog that was called for at that particular moment.

My preference for the majority of stock dog work aligns better with our Border Collie, but Dixie was different and the big kicker was that quarter slice of Catahoula.

Dixie was far more than a good pack animal, she ran the show! She told you when things were wrong or good. She imposed her will on our Border Collie and herded the cats when they were unruly.

But most importantly, she ran my wife and I like a finely tuned fiddle and we miss her dearly.

So when I see that intent look on your dog’s face in your pictures and how much your dearly departed dog loved being a member of your pack, I am reminded so much about our Dixie!

Trust me, your dog did not grow up from a pup with all of you, but very very much adored all of you just the same! And that’s rare!

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 06-24-2020 at 07:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Moderator Emeritus

I am very sorry. My buddy is my constant companion and I couldn't have asked for a better friend during my moving out here and divorce. One of my main requirements when looking for girlfriend was she had to have a dog and be a good owner. I got lucky in that my girlfriend loves Ruger and he adores her along with her dog. I am dreading the day when his time is up. I have never had a better dog. Again sorry for your loss.
    Ron

First, you have my heart felt condolences. I know what it is to lose a partner like that.

Looks to me like he had a pretty grand life. Little girls and baby's to love, grandpa's to take him on adventures.
    I think you were both lucky.

I can not imagine life without my companion, a 16 lb chihuahua/Pomeranian cross.
    He's a bit like "ol Yeller" only a lot smaller so although his name is Casey i often call him little yeller.

He also loves to bark, package on the steps, doorbell, truck on the street outside. He'll bark at any excuse.

I suspect he'll be waiting for you when you finally pass through deaths door.

Losing a loved one is hard, but it is part of the deal we accept when we allow those rascals into our hearts.

Rowdy, this ones for you, Fare thee well!

Boolit Master
    Been there, done that, is tough! When you realize how greedy we are by keeping them here, it gets better. Bear is resting under a big oak tree out back, but he's always in our heart! I'm sure Rowdy will be in your families as well!

Boolit Buddy
    I am very sorry for your terrible loss. Dogs are really our best friends, when everyone hates you your dog will always love you. We had five now we have four, we lost our wirehaired daschshund Barney about two weeks so I can feel your pain...……………...Curdog

Boolit Master

UPDATE:

The vet arrived and observed him unable to walk straight and bump into things, gave him a thorough exam, and thought that he had a treatable condition called vestibular disease.

She said I could try two new meds; one was dramamine to address the drunken behavior, and the other was a more potent anti-inflammatory to address the arthritis.

She said when she heard a nearly 14yr old 100lb dog was having trouble walking, that he was ready to go home. But she said he's mentally all there, not suffering, and in incredibly good shape for his age and it was worth trying the treatment.

So Rowdy is on his new meds and we will wait a week to see if he responds.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Great news for Rowdy. I have had a couple of great dogs in the past. lost one at seventeen years I now have seven Rat Terriers all different personalities, but all with aggressive trait for rats, squirrels, etc. Pups are now two years old and have earned their place in our family.

Boolit Master
    I am so sorry. As I read this I am planting soybeans balling my eyes out as I go across the field. Again so sorry. Getting old sucks losing a dear old dog is worse. I got two now that I don’t know what I am going to do when their time comes. Which can’t be to many more years. I rent so I don’t have a place to bury them that I can come visit them. Cremation is had for me because I don’t believe in burning the bodies. Because I can’t do that for myself. It just tears me up inside thinking what I got to do. Anyways give her a hug for me and hang in there.

Adam
    Amateur Ham Radio General Class KO4CHM

I am so happy for you that medication may help your dog. The best dog I ever had was 9 years old and looked to be going downhill fast. Called the vet and he said bring her in and we will put her to sleep. When he saw her he said she was too good of a dog to not try. He gave me different medications to try and she pulled out of it and lived for another 6 years.
    I pray you get the same results.
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Our Katie went through some rough times in her later years. But was up and active until the last 48 hours when she faded fast. We were blessed by her presence as it sounds like your family was by Rowdy. Sometimes the only way we can return the love they give us is by letting go and making the tough decision we know is best for them. Our girl went out with a last nibble of hot dog bits and being told what a good and wonderful dog she was and how much she was loved.

The say hearing is last sense to go when they pass, I like to think the last connection they have with this world is our words of love. It breaks our hearts at the time, and to think of it for a long time is painful but they give us so much it is the least we can do. And take what comfort we can in doing right by them.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Rowdy is on his new meds and we will wait a week to see if he responds.
    I wish the best for ya.

We've got a 16 year old, Heinz 57, tater tot looking guy that has been on heart pills a couple years now-
    after we thought he was a goner.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    I had to call the vet yesterday to arrange to have my dog put down. Hardest call I've ever had to make. She arrives tomorrow night at 5:30 to put him to sleep and take him away for cremation. I will get his ashes in an urn a week later.

Rowdy would have turned 14 on September 11th of this year. He's a 100lb Great Dane/Lab mix who has outlived his life expectancy by about 3 years. Just a big, goofy, sweet dog that I love like a child. My heart has been breaking for weeks since he started going downhill fast.

His hips finally gave out and his body is riddled with arthritis. Two days ago, he may have suffered a stroke or had sudden onset of dementia. He can hardly walk, can't focus, and keeps bumping into things. I have to help him up and get out the door to use the bathroom.

He was my daughter's 15th birthday present to help her deal with teen drama and he pretty much saved her life. She is now married to a man in the Air Force and has three kids. When they got orders to Japan 4 years ago, she asked me to take him, as he was nearly ten and they didn't think he would survive the 6 months of quarantine in Japan. I reluctantly did and had to build a privacy fence around my yard and new deck complete with doggy door.

When I adopted him, I put him on joint/hip supplements and a grain-free diet. A year ago, I started him on CBD/hemp oil. Six months ago when the arthritis reared it's ugly head, I started giving him daily cans of tuna and stronger CBD oil. A month ago, he was prescribed anti-inflammatory meds by the vet. He seemed to be improving until that week of nasty cold and wet weather. He got worse and when the weather got warmer, he didn't improve and his mental health went south.

So here I am enjoying my last night with my best friend.

I'm drinking Pendleton Whiskey and he's getting hot dogs and leftover pizza.

My girlfriend lost her grandmother last week and I'm blubbering more over this old dog than she did for her grandma.

I messaged my daughter and gave her the news. She sent me the money to cover the vet expenses, which were ridiculous. $416 to have a house call, euthanasia, cremation, and urn. I tried to refuse it, but she wanted to show her appreciation for all I've done for him.

Goodbye old friend...

The day we adopted him at three years old...

Attachment 264033

Loving on my first grandchild...

Attachment 264034

One of our last adventures in the woods this winter...

Attachment 264035
    A dog is the only Love money can buy. My Orca (50% Border Collie/50% Greater Pyrenees) is the only one here who is always happy to see me. We've had him 8 years. My life would be a great deal harder without him. Rudyard Kipling knew. https://poets.org/poem/power-dog

Boolit Master

Condolences to you. Losing a Dog is as hard or harder than losing some people.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

I'm hoping the new meds do the trick. Will keep my heart with you, man.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Grand Master

Strikes close. Our baby, 100lbs of bulldog boxer, is over 10 and now has trouble walking. We are hoping for one last trip up north so she can Wade in the pond and bark at frogs like she used to. She showed up when we bought our house and stayed. I'm pretty sure the wife will want to sell when she is gone and I won't fight it. Best dog ever much like yours. No barking, friendly and just wants a treat or hot dog, nothing else. Loves kids. Step granddaughter would climb all over her, pull her ears and she would just give her a big lick and follow her around. Once at home a neighbor dog came into the yard and walked near her and Ralph came close to tearing that dog into bits.

Sorry for what you have to do to let your buddy find peace. Ours is coming to that point, too.
    Last edited by jonp; 06-27-2020 at 05:46 PM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Rowdy passed away peacefully in the arms of me and my girlfriend today. I went to create a new photo album of him and realized that I had more photos of him than of my grandkids.

Just a great dog.

Attachment 264140

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast