RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Inexplicable Happened....

Was run a trap line yrs ago and the local fur buyer and I where friends. When I got opossums I just dropped them off and wrote it down of the wall. One day I got Three and dropped them off a few days I stopped and he was home. His wife come in a is mad that I was trying to cheat them! I ask what are talking about. She go on about me putting down 3 opossums and dropping 2. I said no big deal and change it to 2 but I dropped 3. Few weeks later he see me at the local bar and came over and starts to apologize! Shortly after I was there thing Start to move about his fur shed. Boxes of fleshing scrap tip over. Carcasses moved. Till one day he seating doing paperwork and a opossum walk out from behind one of his freezers! With a bullet hole in its forhead!

Boolit Buddy
    I'm relieved to know it's not an isolated experience then.

Boolit Master
    Now you know why hollow points were invented.

I surely wish we could still get Dominion Imperial brand standard velocity 22 Short Hollow points.
    Very quiet, impact louder than muzzle report, and very, very accurate.

When I was 11-12yrs old, my older brother and I bought them at a Economy Auto store (sorta like an Ace hardware store) for 29-34cents a box (50). Long Rifle HP’s were 84cents... too rich for our blood. We killed many dozens of squirrels, rabbits, a few coons, and several possums with them. Never a survivor. Then along came something called’68 GCA. RUINED everything.

Well, I'd tell you all about the fish I caught just this last week but you probably wouldn't believe me......

Boolit Master

I have had squirrels crawl up my boot and pant leg after I was sure they were "dead". I had one years back start gnawing on my boot when I thought he was a goner. They die hard and are tough animals.

I shot an armadillo a few time with a Model 36 Smith loaded with 158gr. Lee RNFP years ago. I know I hit it 3 times. It had visible holes in the shell and was squirting blood everywhere and was running like 100 miles an hour!

One more......A buddy and I from church were hunting Robins Air Force base years ago in the shotgun only area. He had a bolt action 20ga. loaded with Brenneke slugs and I had my old 870 (Frankenstein) loaded with 1oz. Remington Sluggers. He connected on a hog and broke its spine and called me over to help him. It was very much alive when I got there so I aimed at its head from about 3 feet away and put 1oz of lead in it's skull. We went to look for another bunch of hogs in the palmetto patch behind us and then came back to find out the hog was GONE! It had drug itself about 30 yds away pooping all over the place and finally died. I saw the hole in its head and "knew" it was "dead".......
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapaki View Post
    Chickens, beheaded they can run around the yard for several minutes. Proving they never had brains in the first place!
    Had one in Fruita, CO some years back that survived for something like 18 months.

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/11178

Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    There is only one way to insure A one shot kill in any animal. That is to take out the medulla oblongata ( brain stem). It is the part of the brain that controls all autonomic functions. Breathing heart beats and blood pressure etc. separate the brain from the brain stem and it is instant death in any animal. In man, The size Of the brain stem is somewhere between the size of a quarter And a 1/2 dollar. In a squirrel you can imagine it’s quite a bit smaller. It is entirely possible to take out a large portion of the brain and have an animal still have autonomic function. The thing is, even though the animal is breathing and his heart is still beating it’s basically brain dead. How many times have you seen in the news where a person has been shot in the head or received severe head trauma but still breathing and the heart is still pumping blood. It’s the same thing and all animals. The screeching heard was nothing more than an autonomic response. It was not in pain. the brain has no Nerve endings so it feels no pain. That’s why a lot of brain surgeries are done with the patient awake. The only thing that needs to be anesthetized is the scalp and the skull. The brain itself feels no pain.
    This is why people have survived after having a prefrontal lobotomy. Usually they become politicians.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master

I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me, than a full frontal lobotomy.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by WRideout View Post
    This is why people have survived after having a prefrontal lobotomy. Usually they become politicians.

Wayne
    Which party, or maybe it don't matter!
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Moderator Emeritus

Unfortunately far to many have attempted suicide and found the same result. We do not use all of our brain.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    But, but....the .32 ACP is more than enough to stop an armed attacker....and the .32/20 is an effective deer cartridge.

I witnessed a ground hog take 5 hits with .22 HP's and live for what seemed 2 minutes.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I am not a head shooter on game animals, much prefering the behind the shoulders hit, but one evening set up to ambush a deer that might come into the target end of the friend's 100yd, shooting range.

Having already spent a buch of testing sessions at the reange, and knowing where the 45/70 - 465gr Wide Flat Nose cast bullet hit at that range, I decided to take the deer that came in with a head shot.

Dropped like a rock right where it stood, so the above info is very interesting.

Typically, by the time I walk up to a deer shot behind the shoulders, the critter is dead. By this I mean all body movement has stopped.

Not so with the head shot deer. It may have been "dead" but body movements went on for quite awhile.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Buddy
    I grew up making headshots habitually. I only had a pellet gun, and my father didn't want them scurrying off between feed bags before dying. Fresh corpse smell puts off customers.

These days it depends on the range. <50 yards, I'll usually go for the head, further than that, I go for the heart/lungs. Still, it's the first time in hundreds, perhaps 1200 shot, that I've seen what happened, happened. When I was 16 I killed my first bear at 22 yards. I stalked it in an uncut oat field. I was using MFS (Silver Bear?) soft points in my M91 Finn. It was roughly 90 degrees to me when I shot it, I hit roughly level with the top jaw and about 3" back from the joint. The bullet made an exit wound not much more than 5/8" in diameter, but it dropped like a stone. I still remember the thud. It had nothing more than tremors for muscle movement, aside from its heart. I put my hand on it and kept my watch out. It stopped after nearly 3 minutes.

Boolit Bub
    Many years ago a pal and I used to lamp rabbits at night to keep the rascals down for farmers, as we do here. He drove the old delivery van around the fields and held the lamp, I did the shooting with a moderated BRNO .22 and subsonic hollow points. All the rabbits had to be head shot for sale so he would gently drive to within about 25 yards and I'd pop them off. We only had one 'runner' out of the hundreds we shot and that jumped around the cab spraying blood everywhere.
    One night the farmer asks us to shoot any hares we saw as they were eating his vegetables so, as we chugged around the field, here's this hare about 50 yards away. I had a spare 10 shot mag loaded with standard velocity solids and sent one into the hares heart, too far for a sure head shot.
    'You missed him, try again' whispered my pal. I didn't think I had but the hare just stood there in the light so I shot again and again...I fired 7 shots before the hare fell over.
    When I picked it up the 7 shots had made a 1" diameter hole clear through it, right where the heart should have been.

You are a hoot Bookworm!!! heh heh I was a kid and killed a young rooster for dinner. Almost. Used a long chef knife and it stuck tightly in the stump with the head on one side, rest of the chicken on the other side. I pulled the chicken away and pitched it to the ground to see him land on his feet and started walking. I ran in to the house and alerted everyone to come see. We watched with amazement for forty five minutes when the chicken bumped in to the side of the door to the chicken house. Blood spurted the chicken hit the dirt and began to jump around like a normal chicken. it is good for me to see that you guys had similar experiences.

Boolit Buddy
    If I remember correctly, someone told me once about a similar experience with a 300 Weatherby and a bull moose. 5 shots, it didn't flinch, then he walked up to it and pushed it over.

Yeah but there is the other side of the coin. I once shot at a running ground squirrel at about 15 yards. I was shooting a .45 auto with GI hardball. I clearly saw the bullet strike the ground just in front of the squirrel. The squirrel did a tail over head flip and lay there DEAD. It didn't have any holes in it, only a pin head drop of blood at the base of one ear. So it all evens out.
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman

This is a weird thread! Can I add to it? How unpleasant to chop off the head of a large rattlesnake and have it continue to twist and writhe for sometimes well over 2 hours. Seems to be more so if it is lying in the sun. This can go on so long and so actively as to make one check to see that the head really was severed.

Referring back to Poppy's post, there are ghastly tales of soldiers killed in combat-- obviously technically dead, but continuing to walk or crawl for awhile. Felons absorbing several anatomically fatal shots but not acting appropriately dead for several minutes. Nightmare stuff.

Apparently a brain can live without blood for several minutes until the oxygen runs out.

Sounds like you might have run into this guy.
    carolina beach nc restaurants

That is funny, Pigboat!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast