Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Advise on gifting firearms.

Boolit Master

Advise on gifting firearms.

As weird as it sounds, I'm not exactly sure where to look for guidance on this one. It's time to empty one of the safes, the plan is to give them to my son who currently resides in Arlington Virginia. The anti gun climate is pretty strong based on what I've been able to ascertain and I wouldn't doubt there are some legal roadblocks that need to be avoided. None of the firearms are considered contentious, most being single shot or lever action rifles and revolvers. If you have any experience with Virginia gun law, any advise would be valued.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Have him move to a less intrusive state but that may not go over to good
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Master

He works at the Pentagon, I was against him moving to that loonie bin in the first place.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Buddy
    Since you're in different state all of the firearms have to go through FFL.

He works for people who issue guns to teens then says go die for us but has to worry about owning guns himself yeah I'd go somewhere else
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Buddy

When he comes home to visit, gift him the guns. He can then take his guns back to VA after visiting you.

Boolit Master

Rules are so convoluted regarding sales, gifts, transfers the only way to get it approximately right is to find a local FFL. Of course if you 'gifted' the guns to him while he was at home and you were just storing them for him he can pick up his guns and take them to his home.

Boolit Buddy
    While certainly no expert on the legality of gifting guns in Va, I did grow up here and have a couple guns I inherited. I’m not aware of any rules on the matter. Va is pretty gun friendly actually. It’s an open carry state and a “shall issue” concealed carry state.

Boolit Master
    I don’t know VA law, but google sent me to the VA state police at https://www.vsp.virginia.gov/Firearm...leTransactions and it looks like there is nothing you need to do under state law.

Federal law is a mess. Some would say that you need to ship them all to an FFL in VA and then he’ll have to go through the process of getting them all. On the other hand, if you gave them to him when he was a resident of your state, and assuming that you complied with any state obligations at that time, then it seems that either he could come get them or you could deliver them. In theory you might be able to ship his guns to him, but you won’t find a carrier to do it. That said, as a government employee, if he wants to be unquestionably clean, use an FFL.

Boolit Buddy

Works at the pentagon as in active military or civilian government employee?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    Dignified? I signed up for brave and courageous, not dignified!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    He works at the Pentagon, I was against him moving to that loonie bin in the first place.
    My Father-in-law worked there and referred to it as the "Five sided Funny Farm".

Seems you live in Ohio, gun friendly. No state registry. He lived with you until he moved to VA
    You and he had understanding that some guns were to be his.
    He comes and picks up his guns. End of story.....

I wouldn't ship. He visits and takes them home. easy. Don't make it harder than it really is. As long as neither state has a registry, there is no issue, there is no federal registry, nor any requirement to report or document any change in possession

Boolit Master

ditto handloader109 wait what were we talking about?? deer hunting ?

Delete this post and don't ever speak a word of it again..... Just allow your son to come and rightfully claim the property that he's been storing at your house.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    I’d forgotten that VA recently passed a universal background check law. It’s being challenged but for now there is a state law that you’ll need to consider.

Boolit Master
    I don't believe they have to be transferred through an FFL if you do it in person. Check the ATF website or call their office nearest you and ask about transfers to family members. They have different rules for family member and estates. You may want to check the ATF office in your son's area to get a second opinion and see if they agree.oh