RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Traditions Deer Hunter load??

Quote Originally Posted by djohns28 View Post
    Loading 80 grains of Pyrodex RS 2F. Getting velocities between 1550 and 1580 FPS. If it was a center fire cartridge I would expect a narrower velocity deviation. Heading to the range this afternoon scope and all so we will see how this goes. Gonna take as much human error out of the equation as i can.
    There was a German Roe Deer hunter who used to post about his kills with a Traditions Deer Hunter on the Muzzle Loading Forum a long time ago.
    The Roe Deer are quite small, and his set up included a scope and PRB's.
    He could shoot really tight groups and always posted photos of his bagged deer.
    The only difference from yours was that he loaded with real black powder.
    I've always used Pyrodex P and have no complaints.
    But even when I belonged to a BP club, the best shooting guns "more often than not" were loaded with black powder.
    BP has a different velocity curve that helps many guns shoot PRB's better.
    Of course it's also the shooter, but the powder can make a difference.
    And I say that even though I'm not a big fan of black powder and its residue.
    But I've seen it perform better than anything else.
    That's probably not nearly as true if shooting sabots with bullets.
    Last edited by arcticap; 07-03-2020 at 10:54 AM.

Boolit Bub
    I'm starting to get really frustrated with thins dang rifle. I ran a 70 grain charge of Pyrodex RS with the round ball and pre lubed patch. Same load I been shooting. First shot at 50 yards was dead on where I was aiming. The next 2 were low about 3 inches. I swapped targets and adjusted the scope up because I pretty well figured it was low to begin with. The next 2 shots were right in elevation, but shifted right 2 inches, holes touching. I had a fail to fire but the cap went off and I realized that I had been pulling to the right. The cross hairs were right on the other holes. I put another target up and tried again. I was got an 8" group for the next 5 shots. By this point the barrel was hot, like could hold it comfortably hot.. I loaded up and left. Got home, pulled the barrel and dunked it in water to clean it all up. I guess I'll try again later.

Yes, the barrel was cooled off before I got it wet to prevent hardening in the steel. I'm about ready to just hang this thing on a wall and be done with it.
    Lead, brass, and copper are the real precious metals.

Boolit Grand Master

Prelubed patches can be problematic. Lube deteriorates patches over time. No way telling how old the patch is. Find some of the used patches after you shoot. They should still be in good shape. You also may need to swab between shots. Some tubes cause that.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Grand Master

Prelubed patches can be problematic. Lube deteriorates patches over time. No way telling how old the patch is. Find some of the used patches after you shoot. They should still be in good shape. You also may need to swab between shots. Some tubes cause that. My 32, if I don't swab at least by 3rd shot, accuracy goes south.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Here’s a link to a site about accurate muzzle loading. I highly recommend it.
    http://blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are different types of guns for different purposes.
    Muzzle loading in general is not all about shooting MOA groups unless you buy the best gun for that purpose.
    There's different powders and projectiles to try, but muzzle loading is mostly about relaxing and having fun.
    It's not the same as an Olympic sport where people shoot 10X's all day long.
    If it were that easy then it wouldn't be any fun!

My .50 Traditions DeerHunter killed lots of deer with the maximum load. Traditions barrels are strong and accurate, but I did drop back down to 70 grains of 3F for power and accuracy.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Boolit Grand Master

My Deer Hunter is 32 cal. You would think they would have given it another name.
    Aim small, miss small!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12