Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
PBcastcoRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best sight for Enfield N°4?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    How much difference does the crown actually make if there is no muzzle wear? Apparently an 11 degree is optimal but I see that the recessed square crown is used a lot. I do mine that way because it is easiest and is not sensitive to bore run out relative to the steady.
    For an ordinary service grade or hunting rifle it is easy to get all wrapped around the axle measuring with micrometers while cutting with a stone hatchet. The 11-degree target crown is optimum, but the difference is significant only in highly accurate systems in which the combined total error budget is within about 0.1 mil radial standard deviation.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Just bought a Parker 4/47.
    https://www.ebay.fr/itm/A-J-Parker-T...72.m2749.l2649

It seems it's more reliable than the PH5C.

That looks good!
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Buddy
    I see that the magazine has a "DP" marking. What about the receiver?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by fgd135 View Post
    I see that the magazine has a "DP" marking. What about the receiver?
    If the receiver is marked DP it isn't always a hopeless case. It depends upon why it was marked for Drill Purpose.

I have seen Long Branch DP receivers which Magnafluxed fine, had no cracks and the lug seats in the receiver were not buggered up, which is the usual case found with Brit DPs, being the primary a cause for scrapping.

In Canada, after adoption of the FAL a quantity of existing No. 4s were converted for Drill Purpose for use by cadets simply by drilling a hole through the chamber, welding up the boltface and grinding off the tip of the striker. Those guns, such as mine was, could be restored to firing use simply by fitting a new striker, bolthead and barrel and were commonly imported pre-GCA68.

A DP marking absolutely requires a thorough gunsmith or engineering inspection, but it isn't a death sentence.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Just the magazine is marked DP, and the gun have several numbers.
    But it's not a problem, It was cheap, the 6,5 barrel is near new, and I bought it only for target shooting. If it works, so much the better. If it don't, I'll find another...
    For the moment I'm waiting for my sight!

Boolit Master
    For a few bucks less you could get a Redfield International, or or the slightly smaller one for which I've forgotten the proper name.Both are excellent sights and very well made and no mystery metal in those sights. That and locating the mounting screw holes on the receiver. The only downside that the british tend to use a multitude of screw threads to hold the sights onto the receiver but in any event make sure that the screw that stays in the top left where the issue sight sits goes completely both holes and is threaded into the sight and the ejector screw also has to be longer than the ejector screw it is replacing. And a lot of these British screws aren't located at your hardware store. Frank

Boolit Master
    For a few bucks less you could get a Redfield International, or or the slightly smaller one for which I've forgotten the proper name.Both are excellent sights and very well made and no mystery metal in those sights. That and locating the mounting screw holes on the receiver. The only downside that the british tend to use a multitude of screw threads to hold the sights onto the receiver but in any event make sure that the screw that stays in the top left where the issue sight sits goes completely both holes and is threaded into the sight and the ejector screw also has to be longer than the ejector screw it is replacing. And a lot of these British screws aren't located at your hardware store. Blue Ridge Machinery used to see the taps,and dies they are still open But I shudder to think what the prices are these days. Frank

I ordered the screws too!
    Here it is, but I still haven't fired it, my truck is out of order; I can't shoot out the window, it's not Montana here...

I can't shoot out my window either. But I do have a range ten minutes away. We have winter rain so I'm not sure it's open. I still have to set up my loading bench anyway and load up some ammo. Have got your ammo ready for testing? I'm keen to see how your rifle shoots. It sure looks good!
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Yes of course I have some rounds, and I'll shoot it next week.
    Fortunately I have some very good friends, and tonight I’m going to borrow a truck, so I can move.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bouteselle View Post
    Second, I'd like to buy a good diopter, but which is the best? Parker Hale 5C or Parker 4/47? I also found the Brindles, a little more expensive... Thanks for your advice!
    Which is best? Do you prefer boneless chocolate ice cream, or ice cream with bones? It depends on what you prefer. I prefer the Parker Hale - it essentially requires nothing more than removing the retaining pin from the original battle sight and switching out.

The Parker Hale was good enough to keep me in the running during Service Rifle matches with ball ammunition against all other legal vernier match sights including A.J. Parker variants. And besides... everything else aside, it looks better than an A.J. Parker. Others probably don't care, but I do.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5-63.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	270810Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5-2.1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	270809Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5-2.3.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	270808

Boolit Buddy
    The perfect crown is one that is as perfectly perpendicular to the bore. Neither a recessed crown nor an 11° (or any angle) improves on this, just protects it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12