Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who know about DOGS

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O

Who know about DOGS

We have a 6-year-old and 2-year-old Miniature Schnauzer

We have been fighting with the 2-year-old to eat her breakfast. Can't leave the food down because 6 years old will eat it.

We notice she eats after we eat our breakfast.

Sooooo we are feeding her after we eat. and it seems to be working.

When the wife lets her out she stops at the door until she is told its ok

The older dog won't pee until the young dog does, then goes on top of hers
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master
    Dogs are individuals just like people. However, you can't always understand them or make yourselves understood.

Breakfast for dogs? Mine won't obey real good but she only speaks Chinese. Yup, older one wants to make sure it's the alpha dog.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Where did you get the 2 y.o.? Sounds like she's been well trained.

Boolit Master
    They are getting YOU well-trained.

Sorry to come in:
    I assume you feed them in two different bowls?
    And i assume you place the bowls at the same time at there designated places?
    I assume also you feed them 2 times a day?
    And with the next meal she eats the normal amount?

If the 2 year old does not want to eat, take it away and place it somewhere where she can see it, but can not reach it!
    What is your regular feeding program? cous we can go some different ways from here.

1st way:
    Try feeding the two year old after you take her bowl away after two hours( in case of working days, try this in the weekend)
    To avoid "feeding jealousy" (not frenzy)regardless who is alfa(IT IS YOU AND YOUR BETTER HALF!!!!) or speaking more professional: who is next in the picking order, give the 6 year old one hand in his bowl.(provided you take it out in the first place from his breakfast)
    Add some water in that bowl so the six year old thinks it is a treat and is longer busy with it. Dont let the water soke into food, during breakfast he is learning to be last/equal to the younger one, so it has began.

First place the bowl of the young one on the ground with the bowl for the other in your other hand, let them understand you are the boss and you decide who eats first.(you and your better half of course! first, then---> dogs)
    *Trick: move the bowl vertical up and down: let him see that there is food in his bowl, lift the bowl up, walk to his corner, wait for the dog to sit(or give a command) then lower the bowl vertically on his spot, let him wait til the bowl is on the ground and you retrieved your hand. Say oke. or go ahead or what ever you say to give approval.

This practice you do from now on, dogs eat last, and the young one get his bowl first, wait 5 to 10 seconds(redirect the old one into a other corner) see *trick.

2nd way:
    Give the dogs half of there food, after 6 hours give them the other half.

Like i requested i would like to know more of your feeding routine.
    Some golden rules for now and for every dog owner should know and obey:
    The alfa male(man in the house) gives food after his alfa pack eat first, then dogs.
    In your case, place bowl for the young one first on the ground, the old one must learn he is omega and not alfa or beta! only guard duty and companion.
    Please dont give attention to this kind of behavior, act like it is nothing and just normal, they will accept in 3 days if your game is right.
    And they are dogs without trauma's

Outside is simple, the old one waits til the young one did something, so the old one can put his territorial mark over the young ones mark.
    It could be a recipe for in the future for some trouble, i dont mean blood or biting, but to much of aggressive play between them, cous they must settle the picking order over the alfa couple.
    For the "ok" the young one sees that as a order that she must obey, outside must be a "game/play".
    Before going out, get the young one in a playful mode not playful mood.
    Helps them both relax, it can be done in one or max two weeks with some experience.
    Most important, dont pay attention to what the do on the field.

This is what i can tell you on the low information you provided to us.
    Probably the young can eat enough at his second and or 3th? 4th? meal/dinner and is simply not hungry enough and still digesting the food of last night, it can take up to 24 hours before she gets that hunger feeling again.
    In this case lower her evening amount(partial 3th way btw and there is a fourth way)

Btw i am a very experienced dog owner and trainer, usually i have a pack from 3 to 5. for the last 30 years.
    Hope this was helpful to give you a small start, and i hope you will provide more information, thanks in advance, best Igor

For others: dogs speak only body language, that is how they communicate and that is how you can train a dog.
    They dont understand a word you are saying, but do understand the tune of your voice.
    I had a not properly raised, second hand, mistreated Hungarian dane/cane mix, i spoke dutch to him (in tone) and body language.
    In four months everybody could walk the dog.
    Two vets(the first owners and my own) and the owner (Hungarian/English)where telling me that he needed to put down....
    A dog is a dog, you can train all breeds, if you want to learn there language: body, different barks and growls!

Sorry, enough of rambling for now, the man was seeking advice.
    Wish you all the best, a lot of good clean lead, healthy casting sessions and a lot of 10+/bulls eyes.

With best regards Igor

I hate to laugh at this, but with those dogs- about half their body weight is 'personality'.

And they will dedicate their life to training you.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

We got 2 dogs, one is only around 6 months of the year. They only eat out of their own bowls.

Boolit Master

2 separate dog bowls
    2 different areas

feed 7 am and 5:30 pm

They get along and play with each other multiple times a day

They sleep next to each other a lot. but not all the time.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Banned

The younger is waiting to see if you will give it some food before it goes for its own.

I had a black lab that was my hunting dog. Everytime we were on our way home from hunting we would stop at McDonalds to get a couple of double cheese burgers. One for each of us. Now when we took the dogs for a ride and we stopped to get anything to eat like McDonalds my dog Bear the hunting dog would do this. We would try to give him a french fry and he would spit it out till we were done eating our burgers. Then he would take a fry. And he knew the difference between a Oreo and a fake one. He would not eat a fake one.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Breakfast for dogs? .
    call it what you want, my pooch only gets 1 meal a day.

@DCP
    Thank you for your replay.
    What i would do:

Quote Originally Posted by DCP View Post
    2 separate dog bowls
    2 different areas
    Don't change.
    Practice the vertical movement with the bowl.

feed 7 am and 5:30 pm
    Try up coming weekend the first way.
    If the 2 year old does not want to eat, try it at 9am, dont forget to give the older one that one hand of food mixed with water.

What you could try also: today, give the 2 year old three quarters of the normal quantity at 5.30 pm.
    Tomorrow at 7 am she will be hungry, if not she is still full and oke, try this a couple of days.
    You wont starve that dog, they just have to get used to the fact that there is food twice a day.
    It is the preferred way and it is better for there system.
    Best would be free feeding, but only when it is possible.

Off topic as an example: ATM in my pack it is not really possible, but the oldest one accepts that the "free bowl" is not his and waits for his food.
    Stomach torsion, he gets 4 times a day food, pre soaked with water.
    Number 13....i hope he will see Christmas, you wont get used to that event

They get along and play with each other multiple times a day
    95% of the time play is innocent. 90% of the time with young males is innocent.

They sleep next to each other a lot. but not all the time.
    It is a pack, aldo if they had a quarrel between them, after that it is playing or sleeping time.
    She will be fine, she eats what she needs.

@Winger,
    Indeed they try, they never stop trying! that is why you are the boss(alfa) go weak once and they can take your spot.
    Indeed 50% is there personality/character(breed related), the other 50% it is just a dog, your best friend (-:.

Thanks in advance i hope this will help you, keep us posted on the progress.
    Best

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    Dogs are individuals just like people. However, you can't always understand them or make yourselves understood.
    Amen, Brother, amen!
    Gun control is not about guns.

Boolit Master

UPDATE

Been feeding right after we eat breakfast. That was working well until today

Both dogs are eating and the wife needed to go to the kitchen. Dixie the youngest stops eating and sits next to her bowl. I couldn't believe it. I yelled that Dixie just stops eating The wife comes in 5min later and starts picking up her bowl and its obvious she's ready to eat because the wife is back. Wife says this dog really does love me with a great big smile on her face .

Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Grand Master

Ours is odd like that. We can leave food down for her and leave for work but she won't touch it until we come home.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

The smaller dogs seem to be a little better off eating twice a day, but you know your dogs. If it seems better once a day, it shouldn't be an issue.

They need training. I have three chihuahuas and they sit on command while I set their bowls on the floor. They remain there, intently focused on me until I release them to eat. Of course, they charge their bowls like they are little freight trains!

They were trained to wait. You need to be the one who owns the food in the house and they need to know that. I can take their bowls away from them when they are halfway done eating and they don't complain. That kind of food discipline pays off big dividends for them and for me.

Make them fast for a day or two now and then. Believe me, it won't hurt them. Never hesitate to eat in front of them while you make them wait. No need to feel guilty about it!

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

@ johnp,
    It is not odd, she is satishfied! good job, she lost her survival instinct.

@popper:
    You are not the alfa male, sorry.

There was also a reply of someone that was stating: skip a meal for a day or two....WHAT....in a couple of dogs or a pack this could lead to food AGRESSION!
    We are not talking about a single dog or a pack....but a couple of dogs where the hiėrarchie must be maintaned!

@dcp
    It seems like your dogs are oke, feed the younger one less.
    The younger one is eatimg in the morning, instinct, cous she can run out of food, instinct again.
    No need to yell at your wife, just lower her food a bit more(not your wife, ofcours)

Glad the site is online again!
    Please don't mind my spelling, cous the spell check is not what it is was before. sorry this is NOT my natigve language.
    With best regards Igor, and keep us updated

Moderator Emeritus

We have a Schnauzer exactly like you describe except she waits for another dog to go towards her bowl and then she gets after the dog and the bowl.....She also likes to eat later in the morning....we moved the other dogs to her schedule and they all eat at the same time......we are on our 7th Schnauzer and she is our princess and the most spoiled ...... and she acts it!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by parkerhale1200 View Post
    @ johnp,
    It is not odd, she is satishfied! good job, she lost her survival instinct.

@popper:
    You are not the alfa male, sorry.

There was also a reply of someone that was stating: skip a meal for a day or two....WHAT....in a couple of dogs or a pack this could lead to food AGRESSION!
    We are not talking about a single dog or a pack....but a couple of dogs where the hiėrarchie must be maintaned!

@dcp
    It seems like your dogs are oke, feed the younger one less.
    The younger one is eatimg in the morning, instinct, cous she can run out of food, instinct again.
    No need to yell at your wife, just lower her food a bit more(not your wife, ofcours)

Glad the site is online again!
    Please don't mind my spelling, cous the spell check is not what it is was before. sorry this is NOT my natigve language.
    With best regards Igor, and keep us updated
    I think that she considers me, or us, the Alphas and won't eat until we do.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast