MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sks Side scope mount?

Sks Side scope mount?

Anyone ever use a side scope mount on a sks ? Got a old narinco that's mainly just a beater ( actually shoots really well for what it is ) but since it's already has been messed with I kinda want to make it into a SVD/PLS clone ( I know I know but really it's just for fun and it's something I've been wanting to do for a while ) a side mount seems like it would be the best option for function and looks but was curious what is a good one ? Wanted something that would keep the scope pretty low to the barrel. Was thinking of the kalinka one but $65 is a bit much. Any other options?
    Thanks !

Boolit Master
    Isn't the reciver a little short for a side mount?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

How about this https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1008873578/
    It's a Choate scope mount, you'll need to drill and tap the receiver but it should work well for you.

Best SKS mount I have is one I made by welding steel rings to a spare bolt cover, and adding a bit of braze to the fingers at the front to make it fit TIGHT. Offset the scope axis a bit to the left so it lines up with my eye properly with the aftermarket stock I'm using. Everything else I tried was a compromise.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1989.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	263990
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Best SKS mount I have is one I made by welding steel rings to a spare bolt cover, and adding a bit of braze to the fingers at the front to make it fit TIGHT. Offset the scope axis a bit to the left so it lines up with my eye properly with the aftermarket stock I'm using. Everything else I tried was a compromise.

Name:	DSCN1989.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	263990
    How well does it hold zero?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Seems I remember a long ~ ? 2" - 3" ? ~ bar afixed to the left side of the receiver, designed to slip a dovetailed scope base / ring set up on SKS's. It allowed you to slip a scope on and off. Never could find the base / ring part, even though I did look around for a long time.

@Remial: Minute of red dot, at least. Even the best SKS, (and mine would be near mint if the previous owner hadn't cut the bayonet lug off), isn't an MOA rifle. I've never adjusted the zero since first setting it up, despite the usual post range session field strips and yearly P/Ms. (I did this at least 15 years ago.) If it'll hit an 8" plate every time from the 100 yard line, offhand, with cheap ammo, I'm happy. And it does.

There are cheap commercial versions of this mount style floating around. They don't fit the gun properly, which has given the idea a bad reputation. They're probably made sloppy on purpose, because the makers believe their average buyer isn't going to want to take the trouble to fit the cover to the individual gun. I think I may have one or two in a junk-parts box somewhere, even. Thrown away because they also had bad ergonomics. They position the scope too high for an adequate cheek weld.
    Last edited by uscra112; 06-23-2020 at 10:59 AM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Seems I remember a long ~ ? 2" - 3" ? ~ bar afixed to the left side of the receiver, designed to slip a dovetailed scope base / ring set up on SKS's. It allowed you to slip a scope on and off. Never could find the base / ring part, even though I did look around for a long time.
    I have seen this type of mount for AKs, but can't recall seeing them for SKS rifles. Might be though.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfustyle View Post
    It's a Choate scope mount, you'll need to drill and tap the receiver but it should work well for you.
    This one looks like it would require some wood removal to mount, and looks like it would still be quite high.

They position the scope too high for an adequate cheek weld.
    This is true. Short of a solution something like yours, the only answer would seem to be a high cheek piece on a custom stock. Most of the aftermarket synthetic stocks I've seen have high cheep pieces. The one in the photos is totally customized, and has a cheek piece.

Name:	IM004743.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	264012 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM004744.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	264013

Boolit Grand Master

They make a replacement receiver cover that has the mount already there. A little filing is needed so it has a tight fit. Is that not wanted for some reason?
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Grand Master

That is the best mount to use.....IMHO....
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

IMO the SKS is best without optics due to its design. That said, my late brother used one for hogs that I adapted a QwikSite Win.94 side mount to with a 3x9x32 import scope. His gun came with a receiver cover that had two flat screw bosses on the left- it fit tight so I attached the modified mount to them. Quite awkward to me; I shot it best left eyed /right handed. A gas tube/ handguard scope rail Scoutwise might be ok, but personally a good frame mounted peep sight would be my pick.

Now that you mention it, it would be very simple to mount a ghost ring to the back of that receiver.
    Cognitive Dissident

Dad's chinese had some crummy b-square on it. Only mounted at the rear with a screw that replaced the take-down latch pin. Dumb thing had a 1/4 inch of travel at the front. Iron sights are fast and the way to go.

The SKS irons are good until you get old and can't see 'em. A ghost ring is a partial solution to that problem.
    Cognitive Dissident

Yes that was on of the option I was looking at. Just wish it sat a little lower on the gun. Really wanted something that kinda worked like a old mosin scop mount with the rings on it since it would give the gun the look of want but seems all in all this would be the best option. This does also give me a way to slap on my night vision since it uses a PIC mount

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    I remember those - the gun was the SKS "Cowboy Companion", on the market around 30 years ago. I found this photo on the Web -

"Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto."

- Thomas Jefferson

Now that you mention it, it would be very simple to mount a ghost ring to the back of that receiver.
    Did this to a Yugoslav sks I had . Just a simple steel tab with the peep hole drilled into it I d/t two small screws into the rear of the action cover . Worked great and very low profile the cover was a snug fit already and never needed to tighten the fit of it any . Shot better than the barrel mounted leaf for me
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

The peep sight I saw uses the takedown lever hole and set screws to tighten against the rear receiver- I don't recall the brand name. Here is our scope lash up- ugly but works. This is my sister's gun now. Whenever we get around to shooting it, we'll see if she wants to keep the scope.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Stay away from Leapers Chinese made scope mounts and scopes, they are junk. My mount had 4 cone type allen screws that actually did the clamping. after mounting the mount and while firing did some adjustments on the scope. Kept getting two distinct groups. Seems the mount screws would loosen and I'd have to snug them down. Pulled the screws and the cone parts were almost flat. Probably not hardened enough. And as far as the scope is concerned went to undo the windage cap and the whole section where the cap came out of the scope. Junk,pure junk. Frank

If you mean this:
    https://www.leapers.com/index.php?ac...2142_2131_2144

No surprise. Too much mass on a long lever, and apparently it takes impact from the fired cases, too !

They gotta lotta gall asking $104 for that!

My SIL, who is an avid freshwater fisherman, talks about elaborate lures that he says are are "made to catch fishermen, not fish". Looks like we have an analog in the gun business.

Thinking I wouldn't trust any "sporting goods" vendor with an address in Livonia, MI., anyway. I used to live near there. Not exactly a sportsman's paradise, Livonia.
    Cognitive Dissident

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast