Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sks Side scope mount?

Boolit Master

I have installed many of the side bolt on, the screws always come loose. The screws that come with the mount are useless. The other mounts I find are to far back. I have installed a few PU style mounts, they come with lock screws. The bottom must be milled flat for mounting. Remember to leave lots of clearance for the mount in the stock.
    Be well
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Grand Master
    Also, there are the Williams Fire Sights. I put a set on one rifle. Fiber optic front sight and replacement rear peep sight where the original sight goes. Outstanding. Quick and easy on my antique eyes. That forward mounted peep is fantastic. Don't have to alter the gun to instal.

Haven't heard about that one. I do have an old boy's rifle that has a "forward peep"; a ring about 1/4" diameter instead of the traditional vee-notch rear. It's a safe queen, (princess?) but I remember liking the idea when I did the post-purchase tryout..
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master
    Dig up some info on the Williams Fire Sights for the SKS. They are fantastic.

Boolit Bub
    I've owned a number of SKS rifles - and have bubba'd up a couple of them, as well as bought previously-modified rifles.

In lieu of the receiver-cover mounted scope, I really did like the Williams Fire Sights.

One set of aperture sights I never did try comes from Tech Sights - may as well link it here, https://www.tech-sights.com/sks-products/

There are a lot of cheap options out there, but a lot of them are sloppy. Some of the sets come with a replacement cover and need to be fitted - they'll hold zero somewhat better when fitted properly.

Most owners aren't machinists or gunsmiths, and don't know how to fit a part, even one as simple as that cover. If it's done right, it works fine, so long as you don't expect the SKS to be something it's not.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ofitg View Post
    I remember those - the gun was the SKS "Cowboy Companion", on the market around 30 years ago. I found this photo on the Web -

Years ago I had a SKS with that side mount, the rings were a steel band that tightened around the scope. It was an odd dia. so it was hard to get another scope to fit. The supplied scope wasn't much either. The rifle shot as well as any SKS I have shot but the scope didn't help accuracy much, of course I had better eyes then. I sold it to a a friend that couldn't see all that well, the scope helped him see the target and he was happy.

My Dad tried every scope mount that he could find for his SKS but nothing seemed to work right. Back then most of the ammo was corrosive and nothing seemed to hold zero after it was broken down for cleaning. By the time he found the side mount he had moved on to something else. I decided years ago that for my use the SKS was fine for what it was but if you required a scope something else was needed.

Dave

Boolit Master
    That is not the Leapers scope mount that I used at the time. Top cover style with base already installed. Four legs having the cone head screws were supposed to dig into the receiver. Those SLS frames must be harder than heck as all it did to the screws was flatten the come on each of the screws hence the shifting groups.
    Frank

Boolit Buddy
    I had one and found a mount that replaced the rear sight. Didn't require D&T and was solid. Used a red dot on it. Worked really well

Siamese4570

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12