MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 44 SPL pressure test of 2400 and 44-250-K

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ddixie884 View Post
    Larry, my computer died about a week ago and I just got back on-line today. Please use ranchman's loads for a starting point on this research as I've not used VV N110 at all in the past. I was just trying to contribute to the cost of research as I'm going to try some in my .41 and .44spls in the near future. Thanx again for your labor and use of your equipment for our education...............
    Will do, I'm looking at 10 shot tests of 16, 16.5, 17 and 17.5 gr N110 under the same 44-250-K I used previously in Starline 44 SPL cases with WLPs.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Will do, I'm looking at 10 shot tests of 16, 16.5, 17 and 17.5 gr N110 under the same 44-250-K I used previously in Starline 44 SPL cases with WLPs.
    I don't recall (off the top of my head) from the other 2400 data whether you shot those strings for accuracy too or it's just for the pressure readings, but if accuracy is being recorded for each as well then it'll be interesting to hear what those results also show. While I did my work-up to 17.5, I found 17.5 itself to not only be most consistent over the chrony but noticeably most accurate.

I shoot (& load) alot of long range rifle, and in revolver-loads (just like rifle) a guy can find an accuracy/pressure node through load development that if tailored right will shoot lights out in just about any gun its loaded. The 7.5unique skeeter load we're all familiar with is another very-common one of the type* I do believe 17.5VvN110 is also a load sitting smack dab on the nose of a similar sweetspot in 44special...

Very anxiously watching to see your results Larry, and to see what the specifics under this in-particular load is going to be by numbers

Boolit Buddy
    Larry,

Have you tested (or considered testing) the "Skeeter Load" of 7.5 Unique and what I call the modern Skeeter Load from Brian Pearce of 8.0 Power Pistol with 245 - 250 Keith style Boolits? I'm really curious what their real pressures are.
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 07-30-2020 at 10:46 AM. Reason: grammar!
    Colt's Manufacturing Company Armorer Instructor
    Aimpoint USA L/E Pro Staff
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Larry,

Have you tested (or considered testing) the "Skeeter Load" of 7.5 Unique and what I call the modern Skeeter Load from Brian Pearce of 8.0 Power Pistol with 245 - 250 Keith style Boolits? I really curious what their real pressures are.
    No, I have not tested Power Pistol in any cartridge yet. So many new powders......so little time.......
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Larry,

Have you tested (or considered testing) the "Skeeter Load" of 7.5 Unique and what I call the modern Skeeter Load from Brian Pearce of 8.0 Power Pistol with 245 - 250 Keith style Boolits? I really curious what their real pressures are.
    Larry posted info on the skeeter load in post #13 of " .44 special +P data and report " in this section of the forum..........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Grand Master

My bad, I thought Wayne was meaning a direct comparison test of the two loads......
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    My bad, I thought Wayne was meaning a direct comparison test of the two loads......
    Thanks to both of you on that! My bad on not clearly defining things. I've been getting curious about Power Pistol lately. Pearce has been showing some great loads with it in .38 Special +P, .44 Special and .45 AR. Velocities stated are solid at what he represents are somewhat lower pressure. Hope you can explore it some time. I know you have nothing to do, Larry!
    Colt's Manufacturing Company Armorer Instructor
    Aimpoint USA L/E Pro Staff
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Boolit Master

Well, I ordered Alliant 2400 and N110 from Midway USA the other day and it came today. The shipping and Haz Mat charges made it spendy but I opened my last bottle of 2400 the other day and I have been wanting to try N110 in .44spl and .41spl...........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

We've got all the Vitavouri 110 you could want here. Nobody uses it because it costs about 50% more than domestics.

I settled on 16 to at most 16.5 grains of Alliant (2009 manufacture) 2400 with the H&G 503 MP mold. It casts right around 258 grains with the 96-2-2 alloy I prefer. It is a good load. It clocks at least 1200 FPS out of my 6.5" 624 with CCI 300 primers and starline brass resized in Hornady New Dimension dies. Seats 1.550 OAL. I long suspected that 17 grains was really a bit over 25000 PSI average like. This is good info.

One of my complaints, and talk about a minor complaint, is that 2400 is shooty and leaves unburnt powder behind. In my quest to find a cleaner alternative I tried Blue Dot, which works well, but it doesn't match either the velocity or the accuracy with that bullet. The Blue Dot works better in my 429244 hollow points which weigh a little over 240 grains.

vN110 is about the same burn rate as 2400 and is bulkier. It is single base. So it should be clean. It may be the alternative I've been looking for. I've heard people sing its praises in 357 mag.

Thanks to both of you on that! My bad on not clearly defining things. I've been getting curious about Power Pistol lately. Pearce has been showing some great loads with it in .38 Special +P, .44 Special and .45 AR. Velocities stated are solid at what he represents are somewhat lower pressure. Hope you can explore it some time. I know you have nothing to do, Larry!
    PowerPistol is really quite excellent in 44 special. It is one of the few powders that Alliant actually lists in their current data.

Basically, the "skeeter load" of 7.5 grains of Unique with a 429421, which is over SAMMI max pressure, can be done with 8.0 grains of PowerPistol instead (this is a listed load on Alliant's website). It gets the same velocity and works just as well. In my accuracy testing I could barely tell any difference between it and Unique. It takes up much less space in the case.

I thought that because PP worked so well that the slightly slower and much bulkier Herco would work well, too. But there is hardly any data for it, and I haven't personally tried it.