Snyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .30 carbine brass

Boolit Master
    My M1 carbine is a hoot to shoot, but the fun fades fast trying to find those little casings afterwards!

Got to rig up a brass diaper!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Grand Master

Got this brass catcher many years ago. Works well with occasional stove pipe. The catcher snaps on and off easily so it's easy enough to clear. Is solid and doesn't jiggle around. All rifle controls are usable as normal except the oprod. The catcher must be removed to operate that. The issue sights and scope are both usable with the catcher on.

Made for the m1 carbine, Mini-14, AR and other gas guns. Was made by E & L MFG. iin Phoenix, AZ. Haven't seen them or seen any advertised for years.

Attachment 264045
    Attachment 264046
    Attachment 264047
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Keep the grass mowed at the range - makes finding brass easier.

Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    Keep the grass mowed at the range - makes finding brass easier.

Bummer is when you are a lifer whose is exempt from doing work at the club and you are the one who cuts the grass most of the time.

Last grass cutting day was 2+ hours at the club, 3+ hours at my mother's, and 2+ hours at my house.

And the wife asked me why my back was bothering me.

But I'll keep cutting the grass at the club, easier on my back than being on my hands and knees searching for brass.

Semi-autos aren't as much fun as they used to be.

Banned

I have enough .30 Carbine brass to last a while, but has it become so hard to find? I haven't bought any for a long time, but it seems every gun show used to have a bunch of it cheap, hasn't been all that long ago.

M1 Carbines are fun. When my boys were smaller, it was a real treat for them to take it to the range, but they could shoot up a lot of time spent by dad at the loading bench in a few minutes.

Dad gave me one of the Blackhawks in .30 Carbine, still not sure what I'll really do with it. Always seemed like a strange concept for a handgun to me.

Boolit Grand Master
    I know the .223 case head is supposed to be too large, but 30+ years ago in Australia a young man told me they cut down split mouthed .222's to use in the .30 Carbine.

How well it worked, I don't know.

Robert

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    I know the .223 case head is supposed to be too large, but 30+ years ago in Australia a young man told me they cut down split mouthed .222's to use in the .30 Carbine.

How well it worked, I don't know.

Robert

Same thought has entered my mind numerous times. I continue to contemplate how to deal with the extractor groove - Brass has to flow somewhere when we size down the rim and sidewall. I have a drill press; but no other metal working tools like a lathe or mill to work on the extractor groove - so I have never tried it.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    Same thought has entered my mind numerous times. I continue to contemplate how to deal with the extractor groove - Brass has to flow somewhere when we size down the rim and sidewall. I have a drill press; but no other metal working tools like a lathe or mill to work on the extractor groove - so I have never tried it.
    If you were to do this, wouldn't the brass be way too thick where you would have to trim it to? Seems like you'd have to ream case mouths to seat .30 caliber bullets.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    If you were to do this, wouldn't the brass be way too thick where you would have to trim it to? Seems like you'd have to ream case mouths to seat .30 caliber bullets.
    Yes; I believe the mouth will be thick; but we see all types of applications where the neck is either reamed or outside trimmed to get property thickness of brass.
    Mustang

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by salpal48 View Post
    this thread confirms my belief that loaders will waste monumental amounts of time to save .27 cents
    May be a waste of time but I load for a 458 Socom @ $0.40 (if I buy bullets) versus $1.75 for factory ammo.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DDriller View Post
    May be a waste of time but I load for a 458 Socom @ $0.40 (if I buy bullets) versus $1.75 for factory ammo.
    Everybody here gets that reloading is cost effective, forming brass for anything commonly available like this just seems stupid to me.

I got a .222 a few years ago. Great, can make all the brass you need from free .223 brass! Yeah...about that. Turned out to be WAY more trouble than it's worth, .222 brass isn't that hard to find and niether is .30 carbine.

Boolit Master
    Any brass that can be formed into .30 Carbine is going to be even more rare and more expensive than buying once fired brass.
    Learn to use mail order and forget your local gun shops if they will not order for you.
    Even if you can make brass an autoloader will lose it for you and you will always need more.

When buying some rifles you must know what you are getting into before you buy it. There are many, many cartridges that are difficult to find donor brass for, so you must know what it costs to feed them first.
    EDG

Long shot, don't know if it is still available or if he will even ship:

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/spo...127835401.html

Banned

Might be a good deal if one were just getting started loading for an M1 Carbine.

Boolit Grand Master
    Everybody here gets that reloading is cost effective, forming brass for anything commonly available like this just seems stupid to me.

I got a .222 a few years ago. Great, can make all the brass you need from free .223 brass! Yeah...about that. Turned out to be WAY more trouble than it's worth, .222 brass isn't that hard to find and niether is .30 carbine.
    I agree 100%. I'll make stuff that isn't available, but if I can buy it I'll go without a Coke for a day or two.

I have made .25-20 from .32-20. Not real hard, but touchy and a bigger loss rate than I would like, but I am only feeding a single shot rifle so I don't need thousands of rounds.

Forming 6.5-06 from virgin .30-06 is quite possibly the easiest wildcat to from, one pass in a full length sizer die and you're done.

6mm-300WSM-- Do yourself a favor and start with .270WSM brass.

Handgun shotshell cases-- Well you really don't need that many, might as well make them.

I have made exactly one .22-250 case from a .308 or .30-06, its been so long that I don't remember the parent case, but I do remember how much of a PITA it was.

I saved a five gallon bucket full of rifle fired 5.56 brass from a range trip before I retired with the idea of using it for a .222. I got wise and bought a few .223's to use the brass in.

Bottom line, if you can buy it do so.

Robert

Banned

Seems like every time I turn around, someone is talking about forming .300 Savage from .308 brass because "it's so rare and out of production brass". No, it isn't, it's out there and that is a whole lot of forming and trimming. If you're lucky, youmay not have to ream or turn necks.

It took one WTB add here and I had several hundred rounds of good .300 Savage brass and I never even looked at real distributors.

Even .351 WSL, which is a lot rarer than .300 Savage, I've managed to scrounge enough that I wouldn't bother with the expense and trouble of forming it from .357 Maximum.

I think some guys just like to form cases, so be it, but there are darn few where it's worth the trouble. I made 50 .22 Savage High Power cases from .25-35 brass, no harder than full length sizing the brass, but then, my brother lucked into a deal where he got a whole bunch of the S&B brass in the metric designation of it for me darn near for nothing.

The time and energy spent making cases is probably better spent looking for the correct brass most of the time.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have enough .30 Carbine brass to last a while, but has it become so hard to find? I haven't bought any for a long time, but it seems every gun show used to have a bunch of it cheap, hasn't been all that long ago.

M1 Carbines are fun. When my boys were smaller, it was a real treat for them to take it to the range, but they could shoot up a lot of time spent by dad at the loading bench in a few minutes.

Dad gave me one of the Blackhawks in .30 Carbine, still not sure what I'll really do with it. Always seemed like a strange concept for a handgun to me.
    Just think of that Blackhawk as being a slightly odd 33-20... in fact some of the newer ones will even chamber a 32-20.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    the only case head that I know of is the 32 acp. at least they use the same shellplate on the hornady progressive press.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dogmower View Post
    the only case head that I know of is the 32 acp. at least they use the same shellplate on the hornady progressive press.
    Or 30 Pedersen or 32 French Longue..... just in case someone has a truckload of that lying about waiting to be converted!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Or 30 Pedersen or 32 French Longue..... just in case someone has a truckload of that lying about waiting to be converted!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    To be fair, it's a lot easier to convert a longer case into a shorter one than the other way around... I've cut down and reamed carbine brass for pedersen, but that was quite a while ago.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast