RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: 276 Newton

Boolit Master

276 Newton

I do have the above rifle. This was part of the original Phil Sharp Collection that was broken Up after his death. This is now 3rd hand to me. It is a custom Griffin & Howe, New York. The caliber is 276 Newton. I have had it now on 25 years or so and have been making cases
    This is originally based on a 30 Newton necked and shouldered to .284. The case was on the Drawing boards from Charles Newton. It was picked up By G&H for a time. The rifle I believe was Built in the late 1930's .The cartridge was intended to use IMR 4350 powder in Conjunction with a 175 Gn. jacketed bullet. Phill sharps Book " Complete Guide to Handloading" does have a short write up of this rifle and Cartridge.
    for the longest time I was using original 30 newton case . but all are Very scarce
    Enclosed some Photo of this current group . All these are made from New Hornady 375 Ruger.. I have shot these and do chamber as well as originals
    Sal
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Grand Master

Very good, finding a case to use as a base for this!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Years ago I bought an original Newton rifle in 35 Newton caliber. Original brass and ammo were not available so I began with trimming the belt off various belted cases to form them into Newton configuration. This always worried me about inadvertently shaving a bit too much brass off these cases and having one rupture when fired. Then Ruger announced the 375 Ruger cartridge. When I read the dimensions on this caliber I shouted for joy. The conversion is simple and fast and I feel more secure that these cases will hold up to the Newton standard. Even with new brass I load these at least 5% below maximum researched load levels.

Banned

Very cool........could you post some pictures of the rifle?

Boolit Mold
    Pretty cool stuff. Can you post a picture of the .276 Newton case next to a .30 Newton case? I’ve got at least 1 box of the Speer .270 Newton brass, also not a Charles Newton cartridge. I’m not sure how Speer came about making it?

Interesting. In my miscellaneous-stuff box I've got a sizing die labeled .276 Newton. It is an oddball. The decapping stem and expander are fixed, a solid rod, not threaded. The rod is held in place by a pin going across the die. Obviously, this makes the decapping rod non-adjustable. No idea who the maker of the die was. I always wondered if this was a legitimate caliber, something someone cobbled up, or a mislabeling of the die. I'd definitely like to see some photos of the 276 rifle.

I have got a 30 Newton rifle built on a 1917 receiver. It is not an original Newton, but nice nonetheless. I've got a few pieces of Speer brass and as well as some formed from 375 Basic brass. I've done a little load work with it but haven't gotten too in depth. Load data for modern bullets and powders is pretty much non-existent. I've also got an unfinished project rifle in 30 Newton. It is a commercial Mauser action with an octagonal barrel, really nice looking. It is a project that I've toyed with off and on for ten years. I should probably get off my butt and put some real work into it. It will look fantastic when I get it completed.